Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Fire_Angel
Forum Full Member

Transfer Garageband files to an OLDER version of Garageband.
Friday, November 25 2016 @ 06:52 PM CST

I'm a user of an old PowerMac G5 Quad. At the moment it is my only computer and although I do hope to get a Mac Pro next year I have to soldier on with this machine for a while yet. I run two hard disks partitioned into quite a few partitions. One drive is a mirror of the other, so it provides my first level of backup.

One of my boot partitions has OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger) on it while the other runs 10.5.8 (Leopard). So on Tiger I run Garageband 4 and on Leopard I run Garageband 5. OK, so far so good. However I spend almost all my time now running under Tiger because all of the applications I most commonly run are more stable under Tiger. So I wanted to transfer some Garageband 5 files to Garageband 4. Not possible? WRONG! It's sometimes impossible and sometimes easy.

Right click on the saved file and choose "Show Package Contents". Open the file "projectData" in a text editor that can edit XML and then go to the end. Change the string 35000 to 30000, save, exit and Garageband 4 will now open the file.

OK, sometimes it won't. It will always put up a prompt at some point warning you that the file was created with a later version of the software, but most of the time it still loads fine. Save it straight away if it does (with a new filename) and check it before you assume it's going to work. Most of the time it will work as well as it did in Garageband 5, but sometimes 4 will crash when you try to play it or during loading.

Most of the files I tried it on worked fine and I now have converted versions that work on the version of Garageband I most often use. Great!

I have no idea if anyone else here is still stuck on such an old computer but if you are this may be useful so I thought I'd post it.

Ancient Chinese proverb:
The man who does not make mistakes usually does not make anything.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Re:Transfer Garageband files to an OLDER version of Garageba
Sunday, November 27 2016 @ 04:31 PM CST

keep backups!

definitely test your old project before going too far into new recording, etc...

i know, from professional experience, that forced backwards compatibility is fraught with unknown danger. it's untested, can cause strange, much later discovered bizarre, unrecoverable failures. certain parts of a project might seem to be OK, until you touch it, then BOOM. if it were me, i would not do it.

i suggest (at least) copying each of the tracks to separate audio files, just in case
Fire_Angel
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 01 2016 @ 12:23 AM CST

Thanks, I have backed everything up before making the changes and I am going to be testing stuff quite a bit. I will also print the sheet music from the project so that if need be I can go right back to it and enter it all again.

After reading your post I will also do some editing of every track, region and setting, then save them and change them back to what I want, then save again under a different name. It still isn't a guarantee but if anything is going to go wrong then it should go wrong fairly soon if I edit enough. Thanks for the cautionary note.

Ancient Chinese proverb:
The man who does not make mistakes usually does not make anything.

Warren Smith
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 01 2016 @ 05:31 AM CST

I have no tech advice to offer about your situation.. but in reading through your post I couldn't help but marvel at the processes we go through to create art : )