Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
damiengh
Forum Full Member

The Van Gogh Blues
Thursday, November 20 2008 @ 09:26 PM CST

Very interesting book for people in the arts who experience depression.

"Van Gogh Blues: A creative Person's path through Depression by Eric Maisel
http://www.amazon.com/Van-Gogh-Blues-Creative-Depression/dp/1577316045

An interview with the Author:

I know who I am and you know who you are, but who and the hell do they think they are?
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Re:The Van Gogh Blues
Thursday, November 20 2008 @ 10:10 PM CST

Quote by: damiengh
Very interesting book for people in the arts who experience depression.

"Van Gogh Blues: A creative Person's path through Depression by Eric Maisel
http://www.amazon.com/Van-Gogh-Blues-Creative-Depression/dp/1577316045

An interview with the Author:

Very timely for us folks that experience seasonal affective disorder.

Laugh if you will, but I know for sure it's a real thing.
lank81
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 20 2008 @ 10:17 PM CST

Smokey it works backwards for me. That Hot Sultry Summer is only good when it is extinguished by a cold, frigid, blanket covering winter. I guess I'm built backwards.

Matt
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 20 2008 @ 10:22 PM CST

Quote by: lank81
Smokey it works backwards for me. That Hot Sultry Summer is only good when it is extinguished by a cold, frigid, blanket covering winter. I guess I'm built backwards.

Matt

Seriously? Wow, I'm the other way. Endless summer suits me fine.

I'm trying vitamin D this time. Not sure if it's working yet. (Yes, I'm aware of the vitamin A interaction...) I suspect my genetic makeup wants me to live further south.
rover101
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 20 2008 @ 10:59 PM CST

Vit D works. So do tanning salons. Try keeping a little 20W halogen light going around the place. Get a tan whilst the sun shines. The best winter I had, I managed a 3-week stretch in Mexico late Jan/early Feb.

But the traditional way of dealing with SAD is risk-taking. Whether it's hitching up the dogs at 40 below to go visiting (3 day journey, even Granny's on the sled) or driving 4X4s over molten rock (Greenland), serious winter brings serious intensity. Some people thrive on it. It was too much for me.

Noli bastardi carborundum
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 20 2008 @ 11:36 PM CST

Quote by: rover101
Vit D works. So do tanning salons. Try keeping a little 20W halogen light going around the place. Get a tan whilst the sun shines. The best winter I had, I managed a 3-week stretch in Mexico late Jan/early Feb.

But the traditional way of dealing with SAD is risk-taking. Whether it's hitching up the dogs at 40 below to go visiting (3 day journey, even Granny's on the sled) or driving 4X4s over molten rock (Greenland), serious winter brings serious intensity. Some people thrive on it. It was too much for me.

I believe it! The big scare about skin cancer and keeping out of the sun is a strange anti-evolution concept. Our ancestors lived exposed to the sun. It is becoming more widely recognized now that many, many people have way too low vitamin D levels. That has impact on important things like our immune systems.

(I should mention that a huge amount of natural vitamin D in humans is generated in the skin by exposure to sunlight. It outshadows (!) dietary input by one or two orders of magnitude.)

Alannah
Forum Full Member

Sunday, November 30 2008 @ 02:09 PM CST

Not to mention .... I look absolutely fabulous with a tan .....