Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Bobby Vee & Bob Dylan
Wednesday, October 26 2016 @ 11:17 AM CDT

... and Buddy Holly -

Bobby Vee just died. Many if not most of the MJ members may have never heard of Bobby Vee. He's was part of the sixties music scene. A singer with a wonderful voice and a number of hit songs. What I never knew was about his connection to Buddy Holly and his untimely death. And his connection to Bob Dylan. Interesting pop history...

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2016/10/the-improbable-bobby-vee.php

When Bob Dylan played Midway Stadium in St. Paul on July 10, 2013, he reconnected with Vee. He paid tribute to Bobby during his set with a performance of “Suzie Baby.” Introducing the song, Dylan said that of all the people he had ever been on stage with, Vee was “the most meaningful person.”

smug moral posturing & virtue signaling? nope...
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Re:Bobby Vee & Bob Dylan
Wednesday, October 26 2016 @ 08:53 PM CDT

"Bobby Vee, who died on Monday at age 73 after a battle with Alzheimer’s disease, might sound like an odd influence for Bob Dylan. However, Dylan got his start with the 1960s teen idol and even mentioned Vee in his memoir Chronicles: Volume One. Three years ago, Dylan even shocked an audience by performing a Vee song during a show.

"During the 1960s, Vee and Dylan were on opposite sides of the spectrum. Although Dylan was two years older than Vee, it was Vee whose career launched first and he became a teen idol with “Rubber Ball,” “Take Good Care of My Baby” and other hits. On the other hand, Dylan became a folk singer with complex lyrics and imagery that has now earned him a Nobel Prize in Literature. Despite these differences, their mutual admiration showed how important roots are to musicians.

"Here’s a look at their relationship..."

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2016/10/bobby-vee-bob-dylan-velline-influences-nobel-prize-dead-alive-tribue-to-suzie-baby-music-chronicles-volume-one/

Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, October 26 2016 @ 09:06 PM CDT

The Man in Me (cover of Dylan's song) by Bobby Vee in 2011. He was diagnosed with Alzheimers in the same year...

Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, October 26 2016 @ 09:23 PM CDT

If a jammer wanted to learn a Buddy hit, this might be a good place to start.
Bobby Vee took the Crickets on the road and cashed in of course... He also made
a Ventures record, which every guitar player probably had a generation or two ago.
When young ladies had disposable income they could spend on records and concerts,
Bobby Vee was a businessman ready to do business.
Yes, I own this record, and no, I did not get it from my sweetheart.
My gal has always been a Beach Boys fan... (Bobby Vee was too square lol) Wink

Daug
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Thursday, October 27 2016 @ 01:11 AM CDT

I'm saddened to learn of BV's death. He was a big inspiration on the development my vocal and harmonies skills. His songs were probably the first to inspire me to duplicate the double-tracked harmonies he sang, which helped me develop a good ear for vocal harmonies.

Rest in Peace, Bobby Vee.

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
Warren Smith
Forum Full Member

Saturday, October 29 2016 @ 09:33 AM CDT

Bobby Vee had one of those voices you never grow tired of listening to.

Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Saturday, October 29 2016 @ 10:13 PM CDT

"This was Bobby Vee's first and only #1 hit. Released on August 7th,1961, it immediately began to climb up the Billboard Charts, and by September 18th, 1961 it had reached #1, staying there for three weeks. It is no surprise, given it was written by the legendary Brill Building songwriting team of Gerry Goffin and Carole King, the song featured an irresistible melody along with inspired and sincere lyrics. Add to that an equally sincere and strong vocal performance by Bobby Vee and you have one of the greatest hits of all time."