Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Boswell Sisters
Sunday, January 22 2017 @ 11:03 AM CST

Want to know where the creative spark comes from, where is the muse? The fountain resides?
Check out the Boswell Sisters. Each of their tunes is a masterpiece. The playing,
singing and arrangements, even after all the years, sound fresh and vibrant.
These recording are treasures. These girls are perhaps the most borrowed from talents
of their age, the finest players from New Orleans' golden period further enhance their
recordings. There are no finer horn arrangements for both "dry" and "wet" settings.
My suggestion would be to study the various facets of each recording. Follow the same
detective approach modeled on the Elvis Secret Sauce post. While the ladies' genre might
be alien to yer ears, there is amazing skill and technique on display.
Where did those weird guys in Steely Dan, The Dead, and every jazz arranger borrow from?
The amazing Boswell Sisters.

Daug
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Re:Boswell Sisters
Sunday, January 22 2017 @ 01:55 PM CST

Thanks for this. Lovely stuff, indeed. Wink

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
bronco
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, January 24 2017 @ 09:16 PM CST

I lived in New Orleans for a couple of years and one of my girlfriends was a big Boswell Sisters fan. I too got under their spell and bought a couple of records. I also love the Andrews Sisters but it is so obvious where they got their sound from. No female vocal group has ever done it better than the Boswell's.

Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, January 25 2017 @ 11:37 PM CST

This one features the kind of close harmony that made the sisters famous. They are singing horn lines throughout the arrangement... 1932!

Daug