Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
chuck_t
Forum Junior

Apple, what are you thinking?!
Thursday, November 27 2008 @ 07:04 AM CST

I've reecently been looking into buying a macbook to replace a pretty old eMac. I was really excited at the idea of the latest models (with the aluminium case) because of the extra RAM and it comes with a far better graphics card. After reading up on them a bit i found out they actually don't have any firewire capabilities at all, neither 400 or 800 ports. The older, white macbooks have firewire 400 but there's now only one model available, so no choice of a slightly faster processor.
I use firewire hard drives and soundcards a lot and it seems kind of stupid going back to the slower trasnfer speeds of USB 2.0! It's as though Apple are wanting me to buy the macbook pro, which would be great but I don't have like £1,900 going spare unfortunately. It seems as though they are making their cheaper products less and less suitable for professional use. Maybe they'll release an official Ethernet/Firewire adaptor but even then its going to make things impossible when you want to use the internet from an ethernet cable and an external drive or soundcard.
Anyway rant over, I think I'm just guna go for the white macbook as I know it's still going to be plently powerful enough for what I need. But has anyone else here been a bit confused by this desicion from Apple?

Chuck
MarkHolbrook
Forum Full Member

Re:Apple, what are you thinking?!
Thursday, November 27 2008 @ 07:41 AM CST

Ya I hear you. I think you have to go up to the pro line to get a firewire port. USB seems to have taken over. (sigh)

Wherever you go, there you are!
peacepiano
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 27 2008 @ 08:04 AM CST

Quote by: MarkHolbrook
Ya I hear you. I think you have to go up to the pro line to get a firewire port. USB seems to have taken over. (sigh)

The power of Intel has kind of overwhelmed the firewire. Apple may be underestimating the number of their macbook customers who are interested in using firewire, because the consumer market in general is all usb.
michael2
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 27 2008 @ 02:00 PM CST

i actually just bought a new macbook. i got one of the previous generation macbooks (the black one with 2 gigs RAM, 2.4 gHz processor, and 150 gig HD) for less than $1000. it has plenty of power and all the ports that I need. looked at the new ones, and other than the "green" thing, I didn't really see a reason to buy one. i am intrigued by the LED screen and the power usage being less than usual, but i am also really happy that I was able to get a really nice computer for a good price.

have fun making a choice and upgrading.
announcer
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 27 2008 @ 11:44 PM CST

This seems to be a trend with the company... offer less with the newest version of their products. The latest version of Imovie has no option to export your finished movie to tape. That function was available on previous versions. They also took away a lot of the video effects and the transitions in the program. It will be a real pity if the company keeps up this trend. BTW ... USB is useless for video and simultaneous multi track audio ... not fast enough. Get a pro.

kristyjo
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 28 2008 @ 12:38 AM CST

I agree with you. I was actually thinking of getting a new MacBook, but I'll stick with my G4 Powerbook for another year, now, so I can gather enough money to afford a MacBook pro. Personally, I think it's not a particularly good decision on Apple's part. How much can that one port cost in production, yet how many of us will have to wait to make a purchase, or decide to skip the laptop and go with only a desktop? I want Firewire 800 when I make my next purchase.