Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
EZamor
Forum Chatty

Re:confused and kinda pissed off
Wednesday, December 03 2008 @ 05:31 PM CST

hi linda,

i checked out your cover of "santa baby" at icomps. excellent work!

and glad to see you back on macjams. i thought you had gone for good. hope you stick around despite MJ's policy on posting covers.

cheerz,
-=ez

* Post Removed *
Wednesday, December 03 2008 @ 08:24 PM CST

* This message has been removed *

* Post Removed *
Wednesday, December 03 2008 @ 08:38 PM CST

* This message has been removed *
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 03 2008 @ 10:27 PM CST

Quote by: LunaTrick
What do other people think?

In this case, to border on being blunt (a rare thing for meSmile... it really doesn't matter what other people here think. What matters is the LEGAL terms and conditions each of us members read and agreed to when we created an account here. It is what the admins of Macjams think that matters (those who set this all up and got it running for us to use.)

There are many articles (legal and lay- alike) about how creating copies of another artists work without their permission (whether you get paid for it or not) is not legal. It is pretty simple, and if any of us are going to be in the business (or hobby, or both) of creating music and posting it publicly, it is really in our best interest to read up on this aspect of copyright. Someday, it may be *you* finding out that other people are posting their own free remakes of your song without your permission.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse to do illegal things.

Just my not-asked-for 2-cents worth. :-)

ttfn,
Drakonis
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 03 2008 @ 10:32 PM CST

Quote by: LunaTrick
With Springclock's info in mind, why is it that iComps can authorize covers where MJ can't? Is it just a 'safety' policy as people do use the sites to promote album sales?

Regarding covers, I am in 2 minds. On the one hand, It would be great for Linda to post a holiday cover... but if covers were allowed, it might detract from the originality of the site.

What do other people think?

iComps doesn't authorize use of copyrighted material. The official policy is

=iCompositions Terms of Service wrote

iCompositions.com users agree not to upload any material that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner(s) of said copyright, trademark or other proprietary right. iCompositions is in no way responsible for content uploaded.

see powermac's post here:http://www.icompositions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6336&highlight=covers#6336

It's how they choose to interpret the law. Most likely if iComps were to get some sort of notification from the copyright holders that they need to either remove the infringing songs or pay a fee, they would just remove the songs. By saying that they are not responsible, they are sort of wriggling out of responsibility to enforce policing of their no-copyrighted material policy, a wriggling that probably wouldn't stand up in a court but it gives them some breathing room. MacJams chooses to take a more proactive stance and tries to remove copyright infringing material ahead of time, while at the same time encouraging original and independent music. Since the site runs ads that generate some sort of revenue, then the hosting of covers here could make MacJams possibly liable for fees for hosting copyrighted material. The song isn't for sale, per se, but revenue is generated. Moreover, if they get a notification that there is a cover hosted, legally they are obligated to remove the offending song immediately or face more of a liability than if they hadn't been notified at all.

I don't really mind covers; myself, my favorite podcast ishttp://www.coverville.com/ but it is just the site's policy and when you sign up here, that's what you agree to. There isn't anything in that agreement about warning you if your song needs to be removed, and I don't think it's rude at all. It's just the way it goes.
Alannah
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 03 2008 @ 10:42 PM CST

Quote by: JONK
Can this thread please die now..The only time this person appears at MJs is to whine about something.. I lost my boyfriend or I have been deleted..Come on..Grow up..JONK

Or "look I wrote an accapella" and now the world should scurry to write a song around it..Become a part of the community or just go to icomp..Offer your talents (which you have in abundance ) to others who have a song structure sans a singer..I mean I can't be kind in this regard..

WOAH ..... I for one have immensely enjoyed all the versions that MJers have come up with using Linda's ACAS .... I couldn't imagine anyone would have a problem with them .... and out of curiosity ... what is considered "appears" at MJs? I have seen Linda around these parts for a long time and notice she comments on other peoples music as well as posting her own, in addition to participating in various collabs ..... I am confused by your somewhat hostile comment ... are you one of those "boyfriends" ???
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 04 2008 @ 03:20 AM CST

You'll all like this from "Alonetone" - a site recommended by Piscean 8 in another thread:

"If you upload copyrighted music we will ban your account, your IP address and report you to the gerbils in tuxedos.
We support filesharing but please don't abuse us, or else."

Smile
guitapick
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 04 2008 @ 12:25 PM CST

The Grinch did it, Linda...

Eartha Kitt sang the original. It's a classic. Yours is really fine, Linda. More than "worthy".

I have a related story. I was on a musicians forum...no posted tunes. Just talk. Mainly guitarists.

I was talkin' and talkin' away. Not trying to impress. Just doing my thing. One day, I go to the list of my posts to access one I needed to review. There, amongs the "Favorite Strings", "Best Guitarist", etc titles was this nice little message in the same bold type, but a bit larger:

"Hey Phoney!! Yeah...I'm talkin' to YOU!!!"

The admins said it was probably a computer glitch...

Those durned computers!!!

Yep...it's the Grinch...

I live between the notes

CDBaby "Above the Surface" iTunes Store

EZamor
Forum Chatty

Thursday, December 04 2008 @ 01:40 PM CST

i checked, and unfortunately "santa baby" is not public domain. it's licensed with ASCAP. if you want to be safe, you can obtain a license to perform the song.

if download is disabled, but users can selectively choose to listen to your song, you would need the Interactive Performance License which costs $340 from http://www.ascap.com/weblicense

or if you're allowing downloads, you can obtain a mechanical license from http://www.harryfox.com

thirdly, you could try to get permission from the license holder in writing, but good luck with that!

...or you can simply take your chances and post it, and hope that your cover version is not removed by the host site or that the license holder does not take action. from what i understand, if (and that's a pretty big if) the license holder finds out about your cover, they will usually demand that you remove it or face further legal action.

onesweetworld
Forum Junior

Thursday, December 04 2008 @ 01:45 PM CST

Quote by: JONK
Can this thread please die now..The only time this person appears at MJs is to whine about something.. I lost my boyfriend or I have been deleted..Come on..Grow up..JONK

Or "look I wrote an accapella" and now the world should scurry to write a song around it..Become a part of the community or just go to icomp..Offer your talents (which you have in abundance ) to others who have a song structure sans a singer..I mean I can't be kind in this regard..

WHOOOOOOA is right. JONK you leave me no choice but to stick up for myself here. You are obviously a very bitter man/woman and I didn't realize how much I was bugging you; in fact i don't even know who you are (thankfully).

What do you mean be "a part of the community or go to icomp?" Why does it have to be one or the other? I enjoy both communities and I didn't know I needed a monogamous relationship with one or the other. Unfortunately, I don't play an instrument and I like to keep my eyes open on both sites for inspirational music. It's oozing out of both sites.

And really nice of you to misinterpret my reasoning for posting a capellas. Like I said, I don't play an instrument. Also when I first started posting music, i would get messages from people asking for my vocals without the music. I thought I was doing a nice thing by letting people use my voice and just give it to them without asking me! I dunno some people ENJOY playing around with my vocal samples and can create some really nice stuff with it. I'm pretty laid back about it and I have never demanded anyone to "scurry" about.

Lastly, how dare you mock my emotions. Yes I sing about losing a boyfriend and other sad events that happen. Isn't that what music is about? Expressing emotions? Giving yourself a cathartic release?? I'm a sensitive person who happens to be singer... it's my passion to vocalize my feelings. What the hell do you expect.

JONK... do me a favor and stay out of my way. You're toxic.

To everyone else: Thanks for clarifying things for me. That's really all i was asking for. I don't blame MJ for taking down the song; after all you gotta protect the site. I just would have appreciated some communication about it prior to taking it down.