Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Les_Kloo
Forum Full Member

Driving me crazy
Sunday, August 18 2013 @ 05:48 PM CDT

I know it's weird, but I've always been fascinated by traffic, which sometimes seems to be a phenomenon that acts above and beyond the actions of the constituent drivers. I learned a few things about how traffic jams start by cruising YouTube. I came across hundreds of driving and parking vids. Here are a few.

Disclaimer: in no way am I attempting to ridicule the countries represented here. I'm sure this kind of stuff happens everywhere. Except where I live, of course hahaha.

There are two basic principles at work here: (1) Traffic abhors a vacuum (2) When in doubt, honk your horn.

Cairo --- barely avoiding total gridlock. Some signal lights or a traffic cop might help.

Tel Aviv --- the closest thing to classic gridlock that I've seen.

An internet favorite [EXPLICIT LANGUAGE WARNING]. Problem with parallel parking (with commentary). Supposedly, she has already been at it for 20 minutes. The makers of the video had earlier asked if she wanted help, but she declined. I doubt that you will have as much patience with this video as she has with her parking challenge. Of course, I totally disassociate myself from random sexist coments.

My personal favorite, so far --- choosing the worst possible place to make a U-turn. Naples, with a happy ending.

The worst traffic in the world, according to experts, is to be found in Beijing, Moscow, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, and Lagos (worst five).

If you watch all of these, you will experience the onset of nervous exhaustion. I recommend listening to some ambient music afterwards.

My music is much better than it sounds.
Alimar
Forum Full Member

Re:Driving me crazy
Sunday, August 18 2013 @ 05:53 PM CDT

Driving Miss Crazy.
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Sunday, August 18 2013 @ 08:53 PM CDT

my doctor advised me to stay away from things like this Smile

my town used to have an intersection we called the IOD - intersection of death - it finally got (sort of) fixed by adding traffic lights. every evening it was full of stopped cars. occasionally a free flowing path would open up and few would get through... total chaos!

incredibly, people would commute home this way every day. there were many reliable alternatives that took 15 minutes more than going through the IOD *if there were no traffic*. often you would waste much more than 15 minutes trying to get through the IOD.

after a few experiences with the IOD, i learned the alternatives. dropped 10 points off my blood pressure. i still marvel at how so many people never bailed out on the IOD and just kept coming back for punishment day after day...

the IOD was a mere microcosm of the mayhem in these first few vids, but so familiar...

- thanks! a brilliant collection of chaos
Outtaorbit
Forum Full Member

Sunday, August 18 2013 @ 09:24 PM CDT

Used to drive thorough that town ...Jaffa to the old Pal motel....1976....sure has grown.....wonder now if the British Bottle club is still there .....sure it isn't BBC...great fun....Good lamb stew across from it

Sometimes it just gets loud
Loob
Forum Full Member

Monday, August 19 2013 @ 12:49 PM CDT

Wow! We can watch rush hour traffic jams right from our computer! FUN!

Need help or want to collaborate/ Look me up...
Les_Kloo
Forum Full Member

Monday, August 19 2013 @ 01:00 PM CDT

Quote by: Loob
Wow! We can watch rush hour traffic jams right from our computer! FUN!

Oh, well, touché.

My music is much better than it sounds.
4nglo
Forum Full Member

Monday, August 19 2013 @ 01:11 PM CDT

There are other commuting options available in the mass transit...

Big Grin

SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Monday, June 19 2017 @ 08:25 PM CDT

VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, June 20 2017 @ 09:39 AM CDT

Above a certain density it's probably unavoidable to have gridlock. But below that I'm all for anarchy.

Victor.

-- My CD.

J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, June 20 2017 @ 10:04 PM CDT

It's not just us...

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND