Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

crap ==> money
Sunday, November 27 2016 @ 03:39 PM CST

i need money. tons of money

how do i go about making tons of money writing inane crappy music for people's videos? please share

paul f. page
Forum Full Member

Re:crap ==> money
Saturday, December 03 2016 @ 06:12 PM CST

My two cents: Money isn't all it's cracked up to me.
kingbee
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 04 2016 @ 10:22 AM CST

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude but do you think if we knew how to do it we'd a) be here and b) tell others how to do it.
A friend of mine was writing some music for a film but he wasn't going to let me know how he got in on that gig…and I don't blame him really. It's a tough world out there to make cash out of your music.
This was a long time ago but I remember the musician Thomas Dolby who had a reasonable amount of success as a musician said in an interview he had made more money writing little bits of music for mobile phone ring tones…though how you get into that market is probably a well kept secret too.
If you find out are you going to share how to?
TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 04 2016 @ 11:39 AM CST

I got all my film writing gigs by going to NYC film festivals and going out to late night drinks with directors who had brought movies that had "place filler" background music. Many pre-release films use unlicensed music as filler background, cuz you can do that at most film festivals. But then you need to license music to get distribution rights. So I would present my case between vodkas and tequilas and then write music on spec. I was able to do music for a few films this way, mostly by Canadian directors, a few from former eastern block directors.

Not exactly a secret method. Nor a time-efficient method.
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 04 2016 @ 12:20 PM CST

Tons of money? Don't know.

"Some" money? If you're comfortable writing genre-specific backing tracks and audio stingers of varying lengths you can make a buck or two writing royalty-free music. Check out sites like:

http://www.123rf.com
http://www.istockphoto.com

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 04 2016 @ 05:17 PM CST

Good luck with the tons of money thing.
Think local or regional first.
My first suggestion would be start with a good lawyer.
Do the theme for his commercial as retainer.
Next, pick a product your comfortable endorsing.
Try to break into the local commercials, car dealerships,
restaurants and social services.
Studios generally have rats that can read, write and play multiple
instruments. Ya got to hang out...
Gillette corp? United Campgrounds? Southwest Airlines? That's the
bigs. Got the big hot music school diploma? They ask questions...
Best of luck.

Daug
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 06 2016 @ 03:46 PM CST

The one and only time (so far ...) that I ever made serious money producing a creative work ... in this case, a somewhat-novel piece of computer software ... I assure you that the whole thing was a complete surprise.   Sad to say, it’s fairly over now, but it was a helluva ride, and, very informative.

I also have the interesting experience of being the recipient of royalties to a few of the literally-thousands of songs recorded by a performer who is certainly “a very household name.”   And, I think, the key word here is ... “thousands.”   Even though there may be just a very small handful of oil-wells in this man’s catalog who produce vastly more oil than all the others combined, one of the keys to success in this business is obviously to have a very large number of wells in the ground.   The performers that we all know so well were all subscribers to contracts which required them to produce a lot of albums on a very grueling schedule.   They created a very large catalog of songs.   “Much of it crap, yes,” but today all of it produces money.

And, many of them repeat the observation that, “at the time, we had no idea that (such-and-so) would be a hit ...”   They were more-or-less cranking out music and flinging it against the wall in hopes that something would stick ...
MarkHolbrook
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 07 2016 @ 02:34 PM CST

I just want to make tons of money doing absolutely nothing.

I always hoped I'd have enough investments and other stuff I could sit back and just want it grow, but I messed up. Now I will work until I die.

Wherever you go, there you are!

bronco
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 07 2016 @ 10:11 PM CST

Well speaking strictly for myself, I worked a job that I endured at best and loathed at worst so that my music could be all mine. I had a little taste of trying to make money playing music and knew it was a lot of people's dream but very few's reality.

So I have done it all for myself. I write songs for me and if I like them then they are good and if I don't then they aren't. Never really changed a word or a note for someone else. Okay, that's not true. I have done some projects with various folks and welcomed their input but it was still my judgement whether the end product worked or not.

So for me music has been a fulfillment of something that I had to do and it has nothing to do with fame or fortune. Music is fun. I never wanted to make it work.