Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Tiny_Man_Inside
Forum Full Member

CoreAudio/Mbox latency
Tuesday, August 02 2005 @ 11:47 AM CDT

Just picked up a new Mbox and started fooling around with it today. My first inkling was to give it a test run in GB2 to see how it sounds/behaves. Turns out that I can't change the CoreAudio driver setting to anything lower than 1024 samples, which means that there is some pretty wicked latency that makes it basically unuseable. The drum loops and the recorded music do not sync AT ALL!

I fired up ProTools and fooled around for a bit and was quickly able to rectify this problem, bringing it down to no discernable latency (plus I got a pretty nice sound, much better than I getting plugging directly into the sound card). The thing is, I would like to stay away from ProTools for the time being because the learning curve is pretty steep and it seems like it will be much easier to do arranging and composing in GB2.

Anyone out there use the MBox with GB2? Got any suggestions on how to reduce/eliminate this latency problem?

Thanks in advance.

Re:CoreAudio/Mbox latency
Tuesday, August 02 2005 @ 12:35 PM CDT

Playback knob (second from bottom): spin it counterclockwise toward the left to reduce latency in your monitoring headphones as you input your sound. I do that when recording vocals and guitar. If the track I just recorded is off a smidgeon, I just smidge it to the left a bit (at high magnification) to get peaks and valleys to line up in GarageBand. Does this make sense? Sometimes, it's hard to explain my methods. I never read the manual. For me, it's whatever gets the job done. I use my Mbox with GB2 and Logic Express. I haven't even used Pro Tools LE with it yet!
Tiny_Man_Inside
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, August 02 2005 @ 01:05 PM CDT

thanks for the comments rshletty

I tried the fiddling with the "mix" knob, and it decreased the latency a weee bit, but not enough for my satisfaction. I moved the track around, but I guess I didn't have it in high enough magnification for everything to sync. I'll give it a try again later tonight. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 02 2005 @ 03:41 PM CDT

Good luck. You're right, it's called the Mix knob (panning from input to playback).
PaulMilne
Forum Newbie

Wednesday, November 26 2008 @ 03:11 AM CST

Hi, I'm a complete novice at this game, and having bought the M-Audio Fast Track box I was wondering about the input/playback knob.

So, if I understand this correctly, there is some phenomenon called "latency" which prevents the music I'm recording through the box to synch with the pre-recorded loops I might be using? Is that right? And twiddling the knob to "input" reduces the latency, or have I got that backwards?

When would it be beneficial to twiddle the knob more towards the "playback" setting?

Sorry for asking what might seem elementary questions to some here, but if I can't ask you guys, who can I ask?

Cheers, Paul

Though we may be slaves to life and death / Music frees the soul...

rover101
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 26 2008 @ 03:28 AM CST

Zero latency monitoring is built into the Mbox; it's probably one of the hardware switches.

Noli bastardi carborundum