Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Leon
Forum Full Member

advise needed...
Friday, November 28 2008 @ 05:22 AM CST

I had my run of bad luck lately, on many levels. I'm trying to bounce back after a 5 month absence.

My MBox broke down and so did both my external hard drives that carried my GB original files and my two pro mics just stopped working. Talk about when it rains it pours!

And, oh yeah.. also lost my job and looking to be re-employed hopefully very soon.

I'm taking these all with a forced smile, but a smile nonetheless. My passion for music is what's keeping me inspired amidst these unfortunate events.

I am not inclined to use an mBox ever again. Anyone who has an excellent experience with any other audio/midi interface that works with GB/Logic? My Audiotechnica and XML mics also broke down inexplicably (did not know that they are so sensitive to even a little bit of jarring), so can Anybody recommend an excellent (not just good but I mean excellent) vocal condenser mic?

The lion roars, the eagle soars.

Re:advise needed
Friday, November 28 2008 @ 07:18 AM CST

My son gave me this AKG C 391 B mic for my birthday a year or two ago, it is really good.

It was a huge leap in recording quality from the Sure 57 dynamic I have...
8piscean8
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 28 2008 @ 07:59 AM CST

Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck Leon. Not sure what your price range is but check out the Rode NT1-A here. It retails for about $229. Several users on MacJams have one of these (including myself) and have been very happy with it.

If you want something more expensive there's a plethora of options to choose from and I'm sure the others will chime in.

-Adam

Please check out my really old song The End to wash away your fears today!
thetiler
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 28 2008 @ 09:08 AM CST

I have to say that my Presonus Firebox is pretty darn good for a midi interface. I have gotten a whole lot of use out of it.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FIREBOX-24bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133

Now if your worried about price, please check out Ebay or Craigslist for these things.

I have used (a lot), is an mxL 2001 mic, and a K109 mic for acoustic guitar, the 2001 is good for vocal.

Now I am using two stick stereo mics AKG 451 b, Droop liked the sounds of em on Johnny Comes Home Classical. But of course I am not singing on that one:
http://www.barryrudolph.com/mix/akgc451b.html

They are on the expensive side but I love them and use them now:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=451+mic&go=Go%21

. . . and that goes for singing as well. Now if I can only find my pop guard Smile

* Post Removed *
Friday, November 28 2008 @ 10:21 AM CST

* This message has been removed *
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 28 2008 @ 10:36 AM CST

Welcome back, Leon. Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. But as William Aughey said: "God brings us into deep waters not to drown us, but to cleanse us."

I, myself, am VERY clean. Wink

There are a lot of good firewire interface options available now. I have been very pleased with my MOTU 828mkII, but that unit is likely more than you'll ever need. Instead, take a look at their UltraLite-mk3 (http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3/ ), which you can find for around $500. What is often overlooked about these interfaces are the preamps. Short of buying high-quality preamp units costing thousands of dollars, MOTU gives you some damn good ones for the price.

Excellent condenser microphones (think Neumann) cost several thousand dollars and none of them like to be man-handled. But you can find some very good condensers, ranging in price from a couple hundred to a thousand dollars. Personally, I would suggest going to a Guitar Center or a Pro Audio/Recording store and trying a range of them out, to hear which might be the right *fit* for what you do.

Even then, I would try to make arrangements to try a few you choose at home... in your usual recording environment.

Good luck, my friend. Keep stroking and... I know you'll bounce back. Wink

--- Joe

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
Doadars Uncle
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 28 2008 @ 10:48 AM CST

My old mic takes a AAA battery. I also recently picked up a gov't surplus shotgun mic for $5 that takes a battery, too. It does well picking up the higher frequencies. Coupled with my other mic, it handles a wide range (I guess).

springclock
Forum Full Member

Friday, November 28 2008 @ 02:11 PM CST

Sorry to hear about the run of bad luck.....

Here are my two new gizmo's that I am most pleased with....

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R interface.....and wonderful and clean and buoyant interface.... and I now have a Groove Tubes GT57 Large Diaphram Class A FET Mic..... simply amazing and my voice has never recorded better to be honest....that mic through that interface has been magical....I will post some new stuff soon to demonstrate my new toys.....but both of those pieces for the win.....

peace and future....ian

p.s. the interface allows me to run Logic, Gb, Pro-Tools, Reason pretty much anything thus far (it's also a MIDI interface, has 2 built in D.I.'s, 2 locations for inserts, 2 digital feeds, has 8 Octane pre's on board with matched pots, and does 8 out.....so I can do 8 tracks at a time and if I get 2 pre's or channel strips and run them digitally I can do 10 at a time.... The clocking on it is amazing on the converters are wonderful sounding.....the interface is now set to run all of my audio needs on my mac i.e. iTunes, internet, anything, so I am not using the internal audio card at all.....it just sounds that good.....mixing and mastering has been a breeze as well since there is all this wonderful headroom I did not have before......man this has been a long p.s.

springclockwonder.com