Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Don't Have No Songs
Thursday, August 25 2016 @ 12:44 AM CDT

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Re:Don't Have No Songs
Thursday, August 25 2016 @ 07:22 PM CDT

... and the fantastic band playing with "their celebrity" is the Steep Canyon Rangers.
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Saturday, August 27 2016 @ 10:23 AM CDT

Quote by: MikeRobinson
... and the fantastic band playing with "their celebrity" is the Steep Canyon Rangers.

They are fantastic, indeed. But don't dismiss Steve Martin so easily as just "their celebrity." He's quite a picker in his own right...

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Sunday, August 28 2016 @ 09:40 PM CDT

I am certainly not dismissing him:   Rather, I am referring to the self-deprecating way in which he referred to himself during a concert in Nashville and also on Catalina Island (CA).   Steve is a very serious musician (who can afford as many banjos as he pleases ...), but he referred to the first time that he met the Rangers ... and, they blew him away.   In the concerts that they still do together, he self-deprecatingly refers to that moment ... as only a seasoned performer who is utterly confident of his own [musical] abilities can do (with a smile).

Steve says it:   “They're not ‘my band’ ... I am ‘their celebrity.’”

Yes, Steve Martin does bring “star recognition,” and I am quite sure that this might have opened some doors for the Rangers in their early days.   (Of course, that’s why he did it ...)   Although those days are probably long gone, the two still work together in a magical way.   Sometimes Steve takes the stage (and the Rangers play support, or leave the stage), and sometimes vice-versa.   When the two of them play together, there is no sense of competition.

What makes their show delightful to watch is the mutual respect, and deep friendship, that these equally-serious(!) musicians obviously have for each other.   They are all consummate professionals.   Steve Martin is every bit as serious about playing the banjo as he is about every other thing that he has ever done in his very-long career ... and he is “damned good at it” (and constantly getting better).   When the two of them work together, the outcome “is more than the sum of its parts.”

Philip18
Forum Full Member

Thursday, September 01 2016 @ 04:51 PM CDT

Quote by: J.A.Stewart
Quote by: MikeRobinson

They are fantastic, indeed. But don't dismiss Steve Martin so easily as just "their celebrity." He's quite a picker in his own right...

Very entertaining!

Philip