Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
drakonis
Forum Full Member

New app from Drakonis!
Sunday, October 02 2016 @ 03:50 PM CDT

Hi everyone, Drakonis here... I've been madly tinkering away for the past year on a very silly iPhone/iPad/Macintosh app (and a little music to go with it) and am flying in to announce its availability... to seriously increase your daily smirks!

I have built and published "Ask Fortuna", a Roman Goddess-themed not-quite-random fortune/saying generator. If you are interested, you can visit the web site to learn more (it is a $2.99 USD app), and hidden in the credits of the app is my own arrangement of Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" from the Carmina Burana, as if Walter Carlos had written it with Moog synths.

Of course there is no need to go buy it, I am just announcing it to the wild internet here since I am very excited to finally get this big idea (and tiny app) designed, built, tested, and published in the app stores, yay!

Web site info here:http://www.schwansongs.com/fortuna

And for those who would prefer to scroll instead of clicking, here's the text summary of what I am talking about:

Fortuna_Dark
Ask Fortuna

"Ask Fortuna" is an intriguing new fortune-generator for your iPhone, iPad, and Macintosh. It creates almost-random sayings and prescient prognostications, with a twist. However, these are not plagiarized lists of old quotes, nor are they completely random sentences of computer-speak; They are something in between. "Ask Fortuna" makes millions of uniquely original sayings, guided by "artificial intelligence" that imbues its prose with poetic and thought-provoking wit. You can save and send your favorite sayings to your friends, and even have "Ask Fortuna" read the saying out loud in one of many computerized voices.

This application is always ready to offer you some stress relief or just a smile, or possibly even some sage advice just at the right time. You never know what sayings Fortuna has in store for you, and like life, it will usually be a fun surprise. They can be posted into a newsletter or blog, e-mailed, or you could have a "read-aloud silliness contest" with friends.

Here are some examples of Ask Fortuna's serious, absurdly funny, and zen-like generated sayings:
* This month is an auspicious time to play with wild abandon.
* With great power comes a knob that goes to 11.
* A journey of a thousand suggestions begins with a single meeting.
* Your desire is waiting to be fulfilled, if you find the right spot.
* Take care, somebody's cute pet will cause a nightmare.
* A wise man once said when interruptions cluster, earplugs will be needed.
* The universe knows that if the day starts with a bang, your fortune cookie should be given to a friend.
* The right time to read the next chapter is after watching the sun set.
* Somebody suggested that when your journey seems the longest, look to your friends for guidance.
* Now that you can make a choice, your destiny will go all fractal.

Fortuna is a Roman goddess who personifies luck and fortune, both good and bad. This playful application calls upon her to spin the original 'wheel of fortune' and deliver a cornucopia of sayings that are equal parts funny, random, portentous, and thought-provoking. Seek her thoughts, share your wisdom with friends and family, and enjoy!

What are all the things "Ask Fortuna" can do?

* Speak to Me * Either automatically or manually speak your fortunes out loud in any of your installed text-to-speech voices (this is an add-on feature.)

* Share * You can send the fortune off to friends on Facebook/Twitter/e-mail/messaging.

* Bookmark and "Re-In-Karma" * Each fortune has its own unique 8-character "Karma-code" which, if typed in, can instantly re-display that exact fortune again, on any device that is running "Ask Fortuna". This feature lets you type one of these codes and re-display that particular fortune, or choose a prior "bookmarked" fortune. This is good for bookmarking/saving and revisiting prior funny ones, or sending the code to friends so they can jump to it it too, instant "Re-In-Karma". Ask Fortuna will save up to 10 of these bookmarked fortunes, older ones dropping off as you bookmark new ones.

* Choose your Fortune * You can type your name, birthday, or other phrase, and it uses that text to create a unique fortune from the particular letters/numbers typed. It will extract just the letters and numbers, so that names, birthdays, phrases will each generate a fortune that is always tied to their text. That is, typing in your same text would create that unique fortune again, even on your friend's computer.

* Shake it Up * On the iPad and iPhone, shaking the device will automatically generate a new fortune, somewhat like the "Magic 8-ball" idea.

* Personal * The Fortunes are unique to you. If you and a friend start "Ask Fortuna" on two different devices at exactly the same time, you will still each get different fortunes.

* Customize * The Preferences or Settings page lets you customize the appearance, choosing a favorite color as a backdrop tint behind the text, and turning on/off sound effects for the buttons. This is also where you can "test-drive" the computer-voices and purchase the "Speak-to-me" feature.

Screen shots, web site, and App Store links are here:
Ask Fortuna Web page:http://www.schwansongs.com/fortuna
App Store Link (iPhone/iPad):https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ask-fortuna/id1099533373?ls=1&mt=8
Mac App Store Link (Macintosh):https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ask-fortuna/id1065379633?ls=1&mt=12

###

ttfn,
Drakonis
awigze
Forum Full Member

Re:New app from Drakonis!
Sunday, October 02 2016 @ 05:01 PM CDT

Good to know that you are still out there creating. That Fortuna gal is kinda cute. In a Romanesque goddess kind of way. Fashioned after your lovely betrothed, no doubt.

Music is the master link in the chain of the tribes of mankind! -SloParts
and so it goes...
richard13
Forum Full Member

Monday, October 03 2016 @ 06:47 AM CDT

Eduard! So happy to see you around and find out what you've been working on. Fortuna sounds like great fun and I was deciding whether to get it for my Mac or iPod but after visiting your webpage I find I can't get either because my OSs are too old. Oh well, I wish you success with it and hope you are well.

drakonis
Forum Full Member

Monday, October 03 2016 @ 07:47 AM CDT

Quote by: awigze
That Fortuna gal is kinda cute. In a Romanesque goddess kind of way. Fashioned after your lovely betrothed, no doubt.

Always the charmer, you are... and so is my betrothed, but you got to meet her so you know that! :-) Please pass our big California bear-hugs to you and your betrothed!

Quote by: richard13+
...deciding whether to get it for my Mac or iPod but after visiting your webpage I find I can't get either because my OSs are too old.

My goodness! I had to go through extra hoops specifically to support Mac OS X 10.8, and the 5,000 year old (in iOS years) iOS 8.0, and then you manage to sneak in devices running just fine on the "really-well-aged" stuff?

Why can't Apple make computers and phones that just break every year and force people to upgrade, like those OTHER companies do? (smirk)

Well, in the mean time, here's a toast to us... the real "well-aged" stuff!

ttfn,
Drakonis, thinking up things to do for the next 5,000 years...
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, October 05 2016 @ 05:13 PM CDT

i ran into the same O-L-D version issue too.

but i'm sure it's a tasty and voluptuous app!

best of luck on your adventures
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Thursday, October 06 2016 @ 08:16 AM CDT

Quote by: SmokeyVW
i ran into the same O-L-D version issue too.

but i'm sure it's a tasty and voluptuous app!

best of luck on your adventures

Well dang, Bill! I am curious now about how far back I should have tried to support. Lion was really awful so I assumed most people would have moved up to 10.8 as a minimum. Are you (and Richard) still on 10.6 (which was a nice solid OS?)

She does throw some delicious innuendo into her sayings (I cannot imagine where she gets that from!)

Good to hear from you, as always!
ttfn,
Eduard
Warren Smith
Forum Full Member

Thursday, October 13 2016 @ 10:58 AM CDT

But can she write song lyrics?

I bought your other app and liked that .. so I'll probably give this one a go.

Warren

By the way, we miss your music posts here at the retirement center that is also known as MacJams.

drakonis
Forum Full Member

Thursday, October 27 2016 @ 08:45 AM CDT

Quote by: Warren Smith
But can she write song lyrics?

Well, Fortuna herself is not programmed to write lyrics (although I have seen a few sayings that would be perfect song lines)... but a future app built from her DNA will be able to write poetry and lyrics, yes.

And thank you for being a loyal customer of SchwanSongs Software!

Quote by: Warren Smith
By the way, we miss your music posts here at the retirement center that is also known as MacJams.

Yes, I have been kept out of the music-writing kitchen due to work and launching-kids-into-the-workforce, keeping me distracted. But I have trickled out some videos on my Youtube and vimeo channels lately... like you, my creativity cannot be suppressed! We just keep tinkering.

But my heart is always here at Macjams, and hopefully I can create something cool to post again soon!

Happy Pumpkin Day, Duck Day and other upcoming holidays!

ttfn,
Drakonis