Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Moviz
Forum Full Member

Bug
Tuesday, December 20 2016 @ 02:17 PM CST

Please can anybody help me. A few weeks ago when I turned the computer on, my homepage had turned to 'Yahoo' without any invitation from me and along with it came this application called 'Megabackup' purporting to be backing up my files, but I changed back to Google and this bloody backup thing is popping up all the time. I try to drag it to the bin, but it says it can't go in the trash because it is in use or 'it is open. I've closed it and tried to trash it, but it won't go. What can I do? it came with Yahoo who have been in the news lately about various problems. I just want rid of it, M

It's never too late.... is it?
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Re:Bug
Tuesday, December 20 2016 @ 02:43 PM CST

This apple discussion on how to get rid of Megabackup seems to have the solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7087419?start=0&tstart=0

Take a listen >>> Texas Tango
davajonah
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 20 2016 @ 03:55 PM CST

Mo, you might want to instal and run Malwarebytes. Free and safe, it will find any malware you've got hidden away in your system. If something is in your trashcan and you can't delete it, open the trash folder, right-click the item in the bin and select 'Delete Immediately'. That usually works for stubborn things.

Link for Malwarebyes here. Safe to install and very quick. Run it once per week or so.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

It's about time I changed this...
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 20 2016 @ 10:54 PM CST

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
Moviz
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 21 2016 @ 02:07 PM CST

Thanks Jack and Dave, but I'm afraid your solutions don't work with this bug. I'd already tried Adware Medic to no avail.
Thanks too Chikoppi for the link, which looks good, but beyond my knowledge, so I'll keep the link you gave and try to get someone more knowledgeable to go through the stages. Reading what the others say in the columns, they are all having the exact same problems as myself. So frustrating that low life like these only use their talents for wickedness and greed.
Thanks again guys.

It's never too late.... is it?

DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 22 2016 @ 11:41 AM CST

Very odd that MalwareBytes didn't fix the issue, but the rest of the steps provided by Chikoppi (or the link he provided) should probably do it.

It's most likely a combination of:
• Browser hijack
• Start-up items
• Currently running process somewhere