Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
bronco
Forum Full Member

Re:Toby Keith
Saturday, February 04 2017 @ 01:52 PM CST

First off I am not calling anyone in this discussion a hater or bad person. I was just trrying to get people to slow down and think a little more before being so negative. My personal belief is that there is a very small segment of our population who deliberately try to divide us for profit and other power trips .

Some of them are the types that have opinion shows on some of the so called news networks.
They know the more they can stir up the people the bigger their ratings will be. Then there are the professional politicians and their backers and entourage. Profitable careers and lobbying positions if they are put out of office are their reward. The more subtle ones are the ones Eisenhower warned us about, "The Military Industrial Cartel". Their war for every season and war for every reason has brought them in hundreds of billions in profits built on the blood of the misinformed, propagandized public.

They have succeeded in dividing us as never before. Obama and his supporters had eight years to make this a much better country with the change he promised. Obviously a large percentage of the population don't believe he did that. We could debate that issue all week and every Sunday thereafter but the fact is that is what happened.

Obama was aloof and arrogant and didn't change much. This led directly to Trump as people were so fed up with slick talking career politicians they even preferred a self centered baboon. And now we reap the rewards.

As Stewart points out. Toby Keith is a very small insignificant part of what is happening at the moment. They are beating the war drums against Iraq again. I actually mistakenly thought Trump would keep us out of war more than Hillary. I hope I am still right and that he says his mistakes and backs off.

A war with Iraq is too dangerous and costly to even consider for a second but it looks like the never ending wars will continue.
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Monday, February 13 2017 @ 12:29 PM CST

Les,

Thanks for posting this. I appreciate more and more these days evidence of folks who retain a moral compass. Despite all of the events of the past year and a half, I'm still gobsmacked that there are those who feel compelled to change the subject about what should be a pretty simple matter:

It's an awful song. (By an awful artist, but that's a matter for a different discussion on a different day...although TK's penchant for pseudo-patriotic jingoism and advocacy of violence generally is certainly germane...) It advocates 'vigilante justice', lynching, which we here in New England call murder, and having a song about it featured at a Presidential inauguration is simply wrong.

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, February 14 2017 @ 06:07 PM CST

"Whereas, Ed, I actually don’t [choose to ...] agree with you.”   Why?   Because I quite frankly also choose not to give “contentious politics” the percentage of my brain-space that it constantly and insistently demands.   :-D

“The song in question” was, when I first heard it and every time since then, “a fun little laugh.”   The songwriter plays against all the usual Spaghetti Western schtick, including the idea that, while the humans are treated to whiskey, their horses(!) should also be rewarded with beer for their part in ... y’know ... “burying (or at least, shooting ...) those guys that were wearing the Black Hats.”   Now that the day’s work is done, let’s all have some (of course) whiskey, while our horses (ha ha) have beer.

I didn’t “read too far into it,” because, y’know, “hanging judges™ and so-forth” are simply part of the schtick.   The entire song is set in the mythical “Wild-Wild West,” and this aspect is (to me, at least ...) a to-be-expected part of that very-familiar Spaghetti myth.

So, why did this song get picked to be played a tumultuous political gathering?   I have no idea.   I just hope that the songwriters enjoy their fatter-than-usual quarterly royalty checks!

(And, uhhhh, “Bruce Springsteen,” too!   I sure hope that his invoice to the Democratic Party eventually got paid!)
aclarke
Forum Full Member

Thursday, February 16 2017 @ 06:32 AM CST

If my memory is correct, Beer For My Horses was written and released shortly after 9-11. It was likely more relevant at that time... Personally, I enjoyed the song when it came out, in part because it featured Willie Nelson.

Leaving the inauguration out of the conversation (I'm still of the mindset that we've just crossed into some kind of parallel universe that exists in Bart Simpson's head or something) I will always support the ideal that free speech applies to everyone, even if I don't necessarily like or support what someone is saying.

I'd just like to see less alternative facts and lies being thrown about recklessly.

"An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind." John Mellencamp
aclarke
Forum Full Member

Thursday, February 16 2017 @ 06:33 AM CST

If my memory is correct, Beer For My Horses was written and released shortly after 9-11. It was likely more relevant at that time... Personally, I enjoyed the song when it came out, in part because it featured Willie Nelson.

Leaving the inauguration out of the conversation (I'm still of the mindset that we've just crossed into some kind of parallel universe that exists in Bart Simpson's head or something) I will always support the ideal that free speech applies to everyone, even if I don't necessarily like or support what someone is saying.

I'd just like to see less alternative facts and lies being thrown about recklessly.

"An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind." John Mellencamp

Peter Greenstone
Forum Full Member

Thursday, February 16 2017 @ 10:31 PM CST

It's all about context. The song on it's own or in some other particular context can be innocuous. But in the context of it being performed at the presidential inauguration... well, that context makes it quite horrible. This really isn't about politics. It's about basic decency and the future of decency in our nation and the world at large.

Quote by: MikeRobinson
"Whereas, Ed, I actually don’t [choose to ...
agree with you.”   Why?   Because I quite frankly also choose not to give “contentious politics” the percentage of my brain-space that it constantly and insistently demands.   :-D

“The song in question” was, when I first heard it and every time since then, “a fun little laugh.”   The songwriter plays against all the usual Spaghetti Western schtick, including the idea that, while the humans are treated to whiskey, their horses(!) should also be rewarded with beer for their part in ... y’know ... “burying (or at least, shooting ...) those guys that were wearing the Black Hats.”   Now that the day’s work is done, let’s all have some (of course) whiskey, while our horses (ha ha) have beer.

I didn’t “read too far into it,” because, y’know, “hanging judges™ and so-forth” are simply part of the schtick.   The entire song is set in the mythical “Wild-Wild West,” and this aspect is (to me, at least ...) a to-be-expected part of that very-familiar Spaghetti myth.

So, why did this song get picked to be played a tumultuous political gathering?   I have no idea.   I just hope that the songwriters enjoy their fatter-than-usual quarterly royalty checks!

(And, uhhhh, “Bruce Springsteen,” too!   I sure hope that his invoice to the Democratic Party eventually got paid!)

Sooooo sleepy.