Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Re:Protest Songs
Thursday, February 23 2017 @ 08:56 PM CST

A Dylan protest song about?...

Take a listen >>> Texas Tango
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Saturday, February 25 2017 @ 09:47 AM CST

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn "But the Buddha never asked us to be nonattached to the world. He just asked us to be
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Saturday, February 25 2017 @ 09:50 AM CST

The tradition, which owes as much to church and gospel traditions as it does to broadsides and to anything commercial, continues:

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn "But the Buddha never asked us to be nonattached to the world. He just asked us to be
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Friday, March 10 2017 @ 08:00 PM CST

Take a listen >>> Texas Tango
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Monday, March 13 2017 @ 08:02 PM CDT

Protest dis boys and girls. Snoop is makin' nasty fun of U, and
yer world view from the curb...
So, like Neil Young's "Ohio"? We suggest this instigates and enlivens debate?
Is this number hate speech? Blatant racist exploitation?
Or, well considered artistic expression that heals, helps and educates...
Ima tell ya, Snoop got paid.

Daug
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Thursday, March 16 2017 @ 09:51 AM CDT

This video is representative of opinion leading in the MSM.
Or is something else happening my true believer?

Snoop's Lavender video, see above, is clearly hate filled and ugly, "Naw", Ice-T says it's "Art." He suggests Snoop clears it all up at the end with a good dope meme.
Obama is too "smooth" to be lampooned. And Ice-T says Trump brings hate onto himself
because of who and what he is in Ice-T's rap culture.

Ice-T is on TMZ to reinforce the operative world view.
Again, my point is real dissent is never permitted, and always appears as
confusion. See the fruit loops and Jesse James memes in the Snoop video?
Hate and fear inspired art? Or something else?

Daug
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Thursday, March 16 2017 @ 11:52 AM CDT

You have real difficulty when it comes to articulating a thesis.

Your thesis here seems to be that corporations exert editorial control over artists and only "allow" content that conforms to a political agenda, driven not by profit but rather some sort of social engineering goal.

Further, you seem to insinuate that any form of protest song that receives commercial release is a manufactured sentiment, not indicative of the artists true opinion.

Is this correct?

Also, what would an example be of "real dissent?"

Regarding Ice-T...he had to remove the song "Cop Killer" from the 1992 album "Body Count" and re-release the album after campaigns from from law enforcement groups, Tipper Gore, and even then President Bush. In Greensboro the police refused to respond to calls from any business that sold the album.

He left his record label shortly thereafter because he felt they did not adequately support his artistic choices in the face of negative public sentiment. Note, however, that this was an economic decision, not an ideological one, on behalf of Warner Brothers. Not only did they publish the song in the first place, but after re-release of the album they re-published "Cop Killer" as a free single.

I think Ice-T understands the cost of protest through artistic expression, especially where unpopular provocation and controversy is concerned. It doesn't seem at all out of character for him to defend another artist.

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Thursday, March 16 2017 @ 05:48 PM CDT

Maybe he said “he left,” chikoppi, but I daresay he merely said it to save face.

Honestly, you really should not pretend to be too surprised that “your artistic creative work” named “Cop Killer should encounter ... a certain amount of ... pushback.

I mean ... “c’mon, were you really born yesterday?”

If you want to seriously “protest” something, and be heard, let alone be remembered, you just gotta remember the value of [purely political ...] finesse.   You have to engage your audience to agree with you, and thus support your message.   If, instead, you are seem to be [fairly brutally ...] advocating the murder of a police officer ... and, basically, because “(s)he’s ‘ a cop,’ and you’re not” ... please do not pretend to be surprised that you just might subsequently have a marketing problem.

People like Dylan made plenty of money from protest songs that were penned during the Vietnam era, but let the record show that they never condoned the murder(!) of soldiers or of civil officers.   “There’s a marketing lesson in that,” I think . . .
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Thursday, March 16 2017 @ 06:43 PM CDT

None of which is relevant to my point, Mike.

Ice-T is an artist who released a provacative and controversial song who is defending another artist who released a provocative and controversial song.

He has called Body Count a protest album and yes, of course "Cop Killer" was intended to be offensive and to agitate - and it did. It was definitely "heard." As a result it also raised a lot of discussion about an issue that many felt was not receiving fair attention, which was the objective.

Ice-T states that Body Count was intentionally different from his solo hip hop albums in that "An Ice T album has intelligence, and at times it has ignorance. Sometimes it has anger, sometimes it has questions. But Body Count was intended to reflect straight anger. It was supposed to be the voice of the angry brother, without answers. [...] If you took a kid and you put him in jail with a microphone and asked him how he feels, you'd get Body Count: 'Fuck that. Fuck school. Fuck the police.' You wouldn't get intelligence or compassion. You'd get raw anger."

Tool's song "Prison Sex" is written from the perspective of a rapist glorifying the act of forced sodomy in explicit terms. Do you think it is condoning or encouraging rape? Should Tool or their label have pulled the song from the album?

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles

Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Friday, March 17 2017 @ 10:33 AM CDT

Quote by: chikoppi
You have real difficulty when it comes to articulating a thesis.

Your thesis here seems to be that corporations exert editorial control over artists and only "allow" content that conforms to a political agenda, driven not by profit but rather some sort of social engineering goal.

Further, you seem to insinuate that any form of protest song that receives commercial release is a manufactured sentiment, not indicative of the artists true opinion.

Is this correct?

Also, what would an example be of "real dissent?"

Regarding Ice-T...he had to remove the song "Cop Killer" from the 1992 album "Body Count" and re-release the album after campaigns from from law enforcement groups, Tipper Gore, and even then President Bush. In Greensboro the police refused to respond to calls from any business that sold the album.

He left his record label shortly thereafter because he felt they did not adequately support his artistic choices in the face of negative public sentiment. Note, however, that this was an economic decision, not an ideological one, on behalf of Warner Brothers. Not only did they publish the song in the first place, but after re-release of the album they re-published "Cop Killer" as a free single.

I think Ice-T understands the cost of protest through artistic expression, especially where unpopular provocation and controversy is concerned. It doesn't seem at all out of character for him to defend another artist.

My friend why do you insist on frequenting MJs to spout the party line? The only activity you have here is to post inane comments. There is no need. I don't address yer comments because they have so little to do with anything real. Yet, I will try to help you Sir.

There is no thesis, no synthesis, only perspective. There is no duality, only misunderstanding of what reality may or may not be. There is what IS. So, sadly for most people, no right or left exists in social terms. There is above and below. Test this for yourself.
If yer having problems understanding the reality that only approved dissent is permitted in the MSM I am sorry I failed to school you sufficiently and humbly suggest it is because the world view you hold does not permit an understanding of reality.

The notions I am suggesting are in contemporary lit. Let me name drop Chomsky. He is a marvelous leftist alined thinker and an easy read, and you will find the notion of approved dissent throughout in his writings. The idea is present everywhere, and not original to yer humble Daug... but I can read and reason. You can to, if you try.

The Jesse James and fruit loops memes in the Snoop Lavender video are not approved dissent. They appear as confusion. Look there. Find other art forms which are labeled as confusion by critics inside the MSM. There you will find real dissent. It has to be snuck in.

BTW, yer comments on Ice-T as art are hilarious. Think about what he does as pure exploitation. Ice-T gets paid my friend. Getting paid to dispense approved dissent is keeping it real? Is gangster rap real dissent? What is authentic dissent in American culture my friend?

I will supply an answer for you. Real dissent is being made in small studios throughout America. Groups of black, white, and latino musicians are laying it out daily. It is circulated locally and regionally. It has been this way since the 1950s. The culture you live in does not allow authentic dissent, hence, you will never see it, you won't look for it, and if it finds you it will appear as confusion. Don't take my word. Look for dissent that appeared in the MSM first as confusion and became later became operative... best of luck to you Sir.

Daug