Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
awigze
Forum Full Member

Re:If a tree falls
Tuesday, April 04 2017 @ 06:52 PM CDT

every song has it's chorus...

I used to work daily in the forests of East Texas, cataloguing and seeking out the ubiquitous Southern Pine Beetle. I was up in the early mornings, get to the rendezvous point at 5:30, board a 1955 Army Ambulance and head south to the Angelina Forest. One morning a tree fell and I heard it. I was so excited that as I was jumping up and down I was spilling the vial of contents of my collected beetles. Suddenly, I found that not all the criteria were met and have pondered such revelation for many years now. A: I was there and witnessed the tree making a sound. Sort of negates the premise...B: I was not alone. So the question still remains. Again, negating the premise. However, it was a natural random occurrence, unplanned and eventhough, I was there, I could speculate the reality as if I were not there. AND, eventhough Macjams has died and been reborn, many things have not changed. Daug still has his audience of admirers.
At any rate, to answer Ted's question, the answer is YES. Just trying to help.

Music is the master link in the chain of the tribes of mankind! -SloParts
and so it goes...
ted23
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, April 05 2017 @ 07:03 AM CDT

Dougy,
In your haste to get to missing the point of my post you forgot to wipe your sandals before entering. Now there's more of that foul smelling Doug-shit all over the place. Yuk, yuk, yuk. I should wipe your nose in it...

Please don't put loony words in my mouth.

jgurner
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, April 05 2017 @ 09:20 AM CDT

I think we should call this theoretical song "Schrodinger's song." In an unobserved state, the song would be in a state of quantum superposition, which means the song would be both be crap and not crap.

In one way of thinking, it would take the song being listened to to determine whether it's crap or not. (Putting aside the question of Relational interpretation, in which different listeners would hear different results.) The act of listening would fix the song into one of the two possible states where it would remain. (At least until you went back into Logic and tinkered with it, but that adds a whole new set of variables.

However, if you subscribe to the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, both potentials will still be in existence even after the song is listened to. Listening to the song will create a quantum branch point in which two different universes are created: one in which the song is crap, one in which it's not.

Ensemble interpretation wouldn't apply unless you repeated the experiment a number of times and created a statistical model and Objective Collapse wouldn't apply because the song can't listen to itself.

Now, after all this, several things become apparent:

1. All I know about physics comes from watching the Science Channel, listening to Star Trek technobabble, and skimming over articles on Wikipedia.

2. A tree does in fact make sound waves, which exist whether there is a listener or not.

3. "Schrodinger's Song" is a cool song title and we all ought to collaborate to make it a reality.

Smile
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, April 05 2017 @ 11:30 AM CDT

Quote by: ted23
Dougy,
In your haste to get to missing the point of my post you forgot to wipe your sandals before entering. Now there's more of that foul smelling Doug-shit all over the place. Yuk, yuk, yuk. I should wipe your nose in it...

Thanks, Ted.

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, April 05 2017 @ 03:50 PM CDT

Quote by: Ed Hannifin
Dougy,

Thanks, Ted.

indeed

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
Calchas
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, April 19 2017 @ 11:19 AM CDT

If MJ falls... will anyone remember it?

I certainly will!

SIMON... are you listening brother?

SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, April 19 2017 @ 06:18 PM CDT

If a tree falls in the forest, and there’s nobody around to hear, does it make a sound?
If I upload a crap song to macjams, and nobody is around to hear it, is it still crap?
Hmmmm 🤔

there are two different things going on here

"sound" has no judgement involved. if a meteor hits a lifeless planet, assuming there is an atmosphere of some kind, there will be pressure waves emanating from the impact point. that is sound. regardless of whether life exists, or if the sound is "good"

"crap song" involves judgement. first, there is the concept of "crap". one organism's crap is another's foodstuff. yum. "song" depends heavily on culture. if nobody is around might not be important either. (no offense.) data is data.

if an audio crap file is uploaded, it uses up space on the server. if that crap file is downloaded, it uses up space on your computer. if you insist on converting that file into pressure waves in the air (that is, you, god forbid, PLAYED the file using some software), well, sound happened.

sorry to hear