Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Re:alternatives?
Thursday, May 11 2017 @ 03:07 PM CDT

It's not, sadly, but I don't think it got the attention or traffic to warrant his lone development time.
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Thursday, May 11 2017 @ 03:27 PM CDT

Quote by: DeputyDoofy
It's not, sadly, but I don't think it got the attention or traffic to warrant his lone development time.

Right.

But if you're to set up a replacement site, is that going to get attention and traffic? Why not move to Mark's?

Victor.

-- My CD.
DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Thursday, May 11 2017 @ 03:41 PM CDT

I'm already at Mark's. If his goes back up, I'll use it. I haven't really done much GB stuff these days. As for "my site," that's a pipe dream at best for now, anyway.
Ren-Tin-10
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, May 17 2017 @ 05:01 AM CDT

https://www.kompoz.com

A VERY active collaboration site, which can be both a blessing and a curse. Unless you play an unusual instrument, it pays to get in on new collaborations early.

Hear (and see) our latest: "Dark Waters" http://www.macjams.com/song/71128 http://youtu.be/-CF57HYV7VQ
paul f. page
Forum Full Member

Friday, May 19 2017 @ 09:34 PM CDT

My two cents:
People around here have been blaming Simon for years about this site, but the issue doesn't seem to be so much a mechanical one as it is a user-contributor one. I've posted only a handful of things in the past couple of years because I get such little response in any form, either critical, praise, or just a thanks-for-the-download. As many of you "regulars" probably have done, I've spent hours listening to music here that appears on the "New Song Picks By Fans" list, many of which (whom) I've never heard before. I always leave positive comments, or at least ones that are encouraging rather than disparaging. Over the past couple of years though, I can count maybe two "new" contributors who've taken the time to respond by listening to MY music as well. Pretty disheartening. I must add that e-mail notification does NOT work for me, so I've probably (surely!) missed music from composers whose work I would really like to support. For that I am sorry. However, the blame game on Simon seems to me to be ill-placed. MacJams will survive if contributors contribute — by submitting new music; by listening to others; by responding in some way or other. And, sure, the trolls will keep pillaging MacJams just like they always have, stealing music without leaving any trace they were here. That is just shameful, but so is much of the behavior we read about every day in the local/national news. Perhaps MacJams is an internet microcosm of our world in 2017.
davajonah
Forum Full Member

Saturday, May 20 2017 @ 07:38 AM CDT

Quote by: paul f. page
My two cents:
People around here have been blaming Simon for years about this site, but the issue doesn't seem to be so much a mechanical one as it is a user-contributor one. I've posted only a handful of things in the past couple of years because I get such little response in any form, either critical, praise, or just a thanks-for-the-download. As many of you "regulars" probably have done, I've spent hours listening to music here that appears on the "New Song Picks By Fans" list, many of which (whom) I've never heard before. I always leave positive comments, or at least ones that are encouraging rather than disparaging. Over the past couple of years though, I can count maybe two "new" contributors who've taken the time to respond by listening to MY music as well. Pretty disheartening. I must add that e-mail notification does NOT work for me, so I've probably (surely!) missed music from composers whose work I would really like to support. For that I am sorry. However, the blame game on Simon seems to me to be ill-placed. MacJams will survive if contributors contribute — by submitting new music; by listening to others; by responding in some way or other. And, sure, the trolls will keep pillaging MacJams just like they always have, stealing music without leaving any trace they were here. That is just shameful, but so is much of the behavior we read about every day in the local/national news. Perhaps MacJams is an internet microcosm of our world in 2017.

That's very true and much the same applies to me, except my musical output has fallen in tandem with the site's demise it would seem. (Not necessarily a connection there btw!) So although it's annoying when things don't work as they should, I can mostly blame myself. However, it's easy to see why people, especially new contributors, don't hang around too long.

I visit most days and have a quick look, but I haven't commented on anything for some time, even though I do listen to new tunes.

I will try to rectify that. I've always liked this place.

In answer to Bryn's question, I've got music posted all over the place, including (not mentioned) Carbon Logic and The 61. I gave up on LastFM because people were linking my music to pay sites without permission. (Google me) I deleted all the tunes there, but the links are still online, in many cases.

None of the other sites offer the same level of support/interaction as here and are simply full of people trying to boost their online presence by pimping themselves. I don't really like any of them to be honest.

It's about time I changed this...
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Sunday, May 21 2017 @ 01:14 PM CDT

Quote by: Ren-Tin-10
https://www.kompoz.com

A VERY active collaboration site,

Looks nice. But from the looks of it rather more mainstream pop than MacJams which is way more diverse & eclectic.

Anyway, I picked a song that I kinda liked. My contribution & mix are at the bottom.

My Heart

Victor.

-- My CD.

MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Sunday, May 21 2017 @ 09:19 PM CDT

To me, there are three numerous things that this site has which are very unique to it:
  1. A History:   It has been around the Internet for a long time.
  2. A Catalog:   There are tens of thousands of songs here, as you used to be able to see from the “random song picker” that used to be on the front page.
  3. No Expectation to “Get Rich Quick”:   You posted songs here in order to share them, with people who enjoyed making money songs as much as you do.   And, to see what new stuff other people had posted.   (And, by the way, some of those people are professionals in the music business.)
  4. It’s Eclectic:   “Please, don’t bore me.   Again.”   MacJams is never boring.
Even though I sorely miss the random song-picker ... where the hell did it go? ... I still come to this site for the very same reasons.   And, I can quite-truthfully say, some of the most amazing music that I’ve ever heard ... has come from here.