Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
salty
Forum Newbie

Re:AngrySiteKeeps Getting Worse
Sunday, January 23 2005 @ 10:51 PM CST

what tha...? Damn...we are all in the pursuit of music, or at least creativity. Well, that's the idea anyway. I've always been of the belief, that the end result is what matters most. I pretty much only use drum loops - because I need to learn how to generate my own beats. But I try to be creative when using these loops - cutting them up, changing tones, etc. One of my favorite musicians, DJ Shadow uses samples in such a brilliant and innovative way, that half the time they are more interesting than the origin anyway. Or at least he can bring out the beauty in something where most people would just dismiss or overlook it.

And as far as talent goes ... i think we are all striving to reach higher levels than what we are at now. I mean..let's face it...not many of us on here are pulling in million copy record sales (and that's not any real measure of talent anyway). Shit...if someone is gifted and doing a great job - give them praise - because they are probably working really hard. If you think someone kinda sucks- you can let em know...but be a little constructive about it. It's okay to tell someone - "ya know..I just don't feel your music...this is what i am into"

I don't understand how these simple ideas got so distorted. I think this site could be only be better if there was more variety and people involved.
SlimGirlFat
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 24 2005 @ 01:31 AM CST

Could we PLEASE put this thread to rest.

It is an 'Old' post and really doesn't need to be brought back up yet again.

SGF

"Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible adult."
ilkers
Forum Junior

Monday, January 24 2005 @ 08:52 AM CST

You better lay off The Candy Dear............[/QUOTE]

Haha, truth well told!
deputydoofy
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 24 2005 @ 09:34 AM CST

You mean, you aren't having fun with this thread...? Wink
Madlove3000
Forum Newbie

Thursday, January 27 2005 @ 06:22 AM CST

Thanks, for hating me....... I never met you or had the pleasure of listening to any of your work. But, I don't hate you. I write poems but don't have a musicians voice or song writing knowledge. So, until I learn the perfect structure of a song I'll be using loops to get me there. Don't hate me for it , I'm learning. I spent ten years in the Marines. Just to protect your freedom to think what you want and me to think what I want. If you hate loops keep looking for songs that you like and pass those you don't by. Stop complaining about a site for music, where musicians and wanabee musicians showcase their work. I have alot to say about my 41 years of life and travel to ten countries and numerous states. Something you probably could gain knowledge from at the tender age of 14. Besides, your wasting your time complaining when you could be impressing us with your masterpieces. I hope to listen to your first song here soon.

" MADFILMZ " WE GET THE BIG PICTURE!!!!
Cameron
Forum Full Member

Thursday, January 27 2005 @ 11:45 AM CST

Old, totally useless forums never really die; they rise from the grave at night under the full light of Moon. We've got one now.... Twisted Evil

Should we drive a wooden stake into its heart while waving a clove of garlic in its moldering face and put it to rest for good? I vote yes.
deputydoofy
Forum Full Member

Thursday, January 27 2005 @ 11:57 AM CST

Yes, but the thread is funny. We all went crazy because of some little punk saying something stupid. We can put this to rest. It has my vote.
cbuchner1
Forum Regular Poster

Saturday, August 27 2005 @ 11:09 AM CDT

Hey buddy, I am one of those people who are quite new to GarageBand. Frist time GarageBand users typically try to compose their first songs entirely from loops - because it is easy and because it yields results quickly.

It takes some musical skill to use the pencil tool to build loops from scratch. Not everyone starts out with the required skill set to do so. It also takes a lot of talent to sing (which I clearly don't have) or to play and to record a real instrument.

It may take some extra investment in hardware to get rid of loops. For example a keyboard or MIDI synthesizer to attach to your Mac - or a decent Microphone. And let's not forget the required MIDI interface or soundcard to attach it.

My first 2 song posts consisted of loops only. But I did use some software synthesizer based loops as well and I actually modified them. And because I liked what I created (and others seemed to like it too, which is very encouraging), I chose to buy extra stuff - like a few Jam Packs and a master keyboard and most recently the M-Audio icontrol panel.

So I hope to evolve to a point where loops will no longer define my song, but merely fill some voids or provide a bit of a background or filler. What I am a getting sick of is hearing the same set of loops (those GarageBand is shipped with) over and over - mostly the piano loops. That is why I quickly bought loops sets from other vendors - not just Apple.

Anyway, this is an interesting discussion and I am looking forward to hearing what other people have to contribute.
ronnienotch
Forum Junior

Friday, October 28 2005 @ 11:53 PM CDT

Yo, dude said it best. STEP YA GAME UP PEOPLE!!!

Something More. Nothing Less.

l----muahz----l
Forum Newbie

Saturday, October 29 2005 @ 01:16 PM CDT

People use loops or don't post stuff doesnt mean they dont have tanlent..