Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
pooey
Forum Full Member

Re:AngrySiteKeeps Getting Worse
Tuesday, September 21 2004 @ 10:14 PM CDT

Quote by: dchapman

If a song sucks, say why it sucks, give some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism to the piece. Who knows, the creator may agree and the next peice may not suck.

Geez, that's what I was gonna say. Apropos, here's a quotation:

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness. (And I kinda like "The Darkness") Anyway...

Easy to say "hey this loop song sucks." Hard to say "hey, try and do this...".

Another quote-"Any fool can condemn, complain, and criticize, and most fools do."

My Wife Revealed

Tuesday, September 21 2004 @ 11:11 PM CDT

My turn. Metaphor time...

Before one can walk or run... one HAS to crawl. Garageband is for the crawlers, walkers and sprinters. And, if we hadn't noticed... there are a *censored*load of loops included. And add ons, and so forth. I wonder why?

Before taking the "first" step... we have to use a "crutch", or assistance from resources at hand. Loops are the building blocks of wonder. If you can put simple shapes in the proper "holes"... then you can try harder shapes in the complex openings. Harmony is acheived when everything works "together"... well.. in harmony! Once you have developed your "stride"... then proceed at a comfortable rate. Loops will help you develop your confidence in "walking" through a somewhat confusing journey into the wonderous realm of music.

Let us discuss any subject... but first agree upon the rules. It's academic.

Once you learn the rules, then you can break them. And if one chooses to "crawl" after walking... then so be it. Loops are a vehicle for those who cognitively choose to break the rules after careful consideration. The vocalist needs accompaniment for their voice. Musical thoughts enter ones mind with a tremendous fury. Having the loops or virtual "karaoke" allows these vocalists to produce the necessary background for their immediate... and long-term goals.

When you learned to ride a bike... did you use training wheels? Do you taste different foods that you have never tried before? Do you sometimes take the "safe" way home? Do you adopt these metaphors to everyday life? Unconciously, and some times by deliberate choice, I think you do.

tmcfate
Forum Chatty

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 06:45 AM CDT

i dont agree with the angry tone of this young boy and i havent read ever post in this thread but i get the idea and one of the first thoughts , at the begining of it, was that he thought that this site is somewhat of a closed forum. in that i mean that it seems hard to get other people to coment on our songs if you are not part of the inner circle. i understand that it is inportant to make yourself known by comenting on others work but i think for some of us that is a poduct of feeling comfortable with the whole chat thing. i guess what i am saying is that i am disappointed that i get so few coments on my songs,although the ones i do get are good and helpful and that i am jealous of those who get 20 or 30 for every song. tell me what i need to do to get into the group of you. that is why i am hear. you know, to be a part of all this and to share my thoughts and talents, what ever they my be.
thanks
tim
mcsweb
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 07:22 AM CDT

Let's see if this works: Hi everybody... I have a song appropriately called Forgotten! If you haven't commented on this song already, please check it out and give me some feedback. I'm simply looking for constructive but honest comments. Vote if you must.

Thanks!

Here's the song:http://www.macjams.com/song/song_profile.php?lid=3848
Gramage
Forum Newbie

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 09:12 AM CDT

Well, I use loops, but I make them myself.

I don't really consider anything I've done so far (read: 2 songs) to be excellent, rave-worthy material. I consider it PRACTICE. I'm getting the hang of melodical and rythmic composition, and maybe one day something will come of it and I'll be the next Juno Reactor (aww, who am I kidding, that's impossible).

I can't play any instruments, and I have an awful singing voice, but I know what I like to hear, and hopefully, if I like what I make, other people with the same taste as me will like it too.

Besides, as someone stated earlier in this thread, if a member uses pre-fab loops, but uses them well, what's the difference? Sure, the creaton aspect is missing, but not the end result, a good song.

To me, that's all that matters, the end result. A good song. Prefab loops, did-it-yourself loops, live instruments, who cares. I just wanna listen to some music.
alanfraser
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 11:18 AM CDT

I never had any children and I feel a cold, empty void in my life because of it. Whoops...no I don't.

Never mind.

Silas Scarborough
My Duck Soup | Silas Galactic Podcast
SmartAss
Forum Junior

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 11:45 AM CDT

well dontcha sorta have to have some capacity for emotional warmth and unselfish love in order to feel that sort of cold empty void in the first place??

never mind. Wink)
alanfraser
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 02:44 PM CDT

I have lots of emotional warmth for possums and clams, etc., but it's rather more difficult for children.

Silas Scarborough
My Duck Soup | Silas Galactic Podcast
SlimGirlFat
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 02:56 PM CDT

Who really finds it encouraging to have a song bombed, and left with no comment?
Who will post up to this site, if they know they will get bombed immediately, just because they used loops? ( or happen to be a more prominent member)

We are not here to be "rudely" addressed on our compilations. Constructive critiques are different, they can really help an artist.

So, What was the issue to start off with?
14yr olds who have never commented or been part of the community here as far as I can see, have finally posted a comment telling us that tracks that use loops S***. (after they have had a spree, bombing lots of tracks from all sorts of artists with loops and without) for the last few months).
Sure they can sign in under lots of different names, and bomb tracks to their little hearts content., but is this acceptable behaviour?
Hey maybe we should all do that.....

Perhaps the subject we should all be addressing is "Manners".
What constitutes an acceptable comment?
Shall we all look forward to "rude" remarks on our tracks for the forseeable future?
Is it only done to well known members and those in weekly picks?

This is not a way to provide encouragement for any other user of this site, it will certainly not attract newcomers to the community if they use loops and suddenly find either"rude" comments or 1's and '2's on their tracks with no explanation.
Worst case scenario will ultimately allow the site to be viewed as a teenagers angsty bomb paradise, where anything goes,...
I think these kids know exactly what they are doing when they bomb songs and take great pleasure from it..... they are very creative with the techniques of changing the ratings and funny how it is a select few they choose to bomb...

SlimGirlFat

"Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible adult."

MissChaos
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 03:20 PM CDT

Good point Slimmie. The way I see it, Just because you have a Mac, Garageband, and a MacJams account does not mean you have TASTE or MORALS--hence the low voting; a cowardly way to display one's lack of taste and morality. I know, I know, I'm generalizing... truth is, we have all biases and preconceived notions that are programmed into us--that's inevitable. Heck--I'd entertain the possibility of one-bombing any pop-country tracks if I heard 'em. But that's because I truly dislike pop country--nothing could change that in my mind. However, I would never do that because I have morals and I realize that my TASTE in music is not shared by everyone. So I ignore the songs I dislike because of my preconceived notions. It just wouldn't be fair for me to judge them. The more I write about it, the more I convince myself that a voting system for amateurs by amateurs is just a silly concept. There's no such thing as a utopian internet community voting system. I say get rid of voting altogether and have registered members comment only. There's plenty of crap music being played on the radio that would probably warrant 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s here. But unlike contemporary pop music, we're not being judged or voted on our image too. Thank heaven for that! Laughing Out Loud

[insert something witty here]