Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
mcsweb
Forum Full Member

Re:AngrySiteKeeps Getting Worse
Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 04:13 PM CDT

SGF: Actually, I've always liked your tracks. Your singing is great, and where the loops may or may not be has completely escaped my attention. Having said all that, you have to take into account that C&P is basically a kid, so tact might not be his forte;. (I'm guessing it's his piano... little music terminology joke there, sorry.) What he's saying in essence is he doesn't appreciate your track because you're using recognizable loops that make your song unoriginal. He finds that frustrating. You get a low rating. That's a more tactful way to state it, but that's the reality of it. Is that more acceptable to you?

Now I have not heard your song, so what follows is not in any way directed at you or your song; I use "you" in a generic sense.

I share some of C&Ps frustrations. If I see the genre is Electronic/Dance or Ambient Electronica, I already start to tense up because so many songs in those genres have abused pre-fab loops to death. I want to see some info about a song that tells me whether or not it is loop, or to use what I consider a more accurate term, "pre-fab" based. (I dont' care about loops if you wrote them.) You won't have to worry about me voting you down, because I don't want to vote any more using the current system, but if I start listening to the song, and it's the same tired loops, I'm done. No listen. No comment. I want to hear YOUR music, not someone else's that you've spliced together. That's my choice. I know there are those who really get upset when they hear that, but that's the way it is. Now that's not a bias or prejudice. It's based entirely on having heard these songs so many times. I have heard a few songs that have made good use of pre-fabs, but they are almost always intertwined with other original parts, or singing, or have been modified in such a way as to be nearly unrecognizable as the original pre-fabs they were. Some of that work is GREAT, and I am not talking about that. (dchapman in particular pulled out a simply brilliant pre-fab(?) based track in the Loops vs Creativity forum that clearly illustrates what talent can bring to the medium.) Don't be bummed out if your pre-fabbed piece gets low ratings for using highly recognizable or predictable loops: the marks just might be deserved.

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 05:05 PM CDT

After I frequented this site for a while, I started recognizing talented members by there screen names. A sort of playlist of members have devolped for me that I couldn't get anywhere else. I could care less if they swung a dead cat and recorded it with the built-in microphone on a laptop and looped it to get the sounds that appeal to me. Any brush will do if the painting's true. A good song is a good song. I don't mind digging through a couple tons of coal to find that occasional diamond either. Cuz once in a while I add another to the playlist.
alanfraser
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 05:26 PM CDT

Quote by: Skipper
After I frequented this site for a while, I started recognizing talented members by there screen names. A sort of playlist of members have devolped for me that I couldn't get anywhere else. I could care less if they swung a dead cat and recorded it with the built-in microphone on a laptop and looped it to get the sounds that appeal to me. Any brush will do if the painting's true. A good song is a good song. I don't mind digging through a couple tons of coal to find that occasional diamond either. Cuz once in a while I add another to the playlist.

Damn right!

Silas Scarborough
My Duck Soup | Silas Galactic Podcast
_nderscore
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 07:59 PM CDT

Quote by: mcsweb
..but if I start listening to the song, and it's the same tired loops, I'm done. No listen. No comment. I want to hear YOUR music, not someone else's that you've spliced together..

while i COMPLETELY understand your frustration (C&P's as well), what about the GB newbies? what about the person who just put together some 'cool' new songs using their newfangled apple software, joins up with macjams, & posts them? where's the excitement for them-why would they want to stick around? it's a big enough step just throwing your stuff out there to begin with. if there is one problem with this site, it's the lack of feedback-votes, comments or otherwise. just hit some links to people that you don't recognize.. you'll see what i mean. it's one thing to blow off people who have been around for awhile, but i think the aspiring new folks should get a chance for feedback & a little cheerleading as well. might just make a difference

i'm just asking for people to pay attention, take a risk every once in a while, & give a little Wink

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 08:35 PM CDT

nderscore:

There are many who do listen to songs with loops for the reasons stated by Skipper. We are looking for a good tune. Something that hits the spot, and maybe even strikes a little gold. This site is a good place share your songs. It does take time and effort to get noticed sometimes. I think that is more a factor of the large number of songs being posted every day. I, like most here, have only so much time for listening and commenting. After all, I am writing and recording songs also. And I do have to earn a living.

Comment on other's songs. Ask for comments. I for one would respond to that. Find ways to make connections with others here. This is a community of music makers and listeners. But, you'll never know your neighbor, nor they you, without someone reaching out and making contact.

This site is growing, and with that comes growing pains.
alanfraser
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 09:57 PM CDT

Will someone puh-leeze fix that kid's skateboard!!!

Silas Scarborough
My Duck Soup | Silas Galactic Podcast
juedm
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 10:18 PM CDT

请不使用大信件。

谢谢!

这所有简单地不是一条好螺纹!

和平对您

-欢呼

Razz

In General, Music should be "Always Different", Like People.
juedm
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 10:20 PM CDT

Please does not use the big letter.

Thanks!

This all simply is not a good thread!

Peace to you

- Cheers

Razz

In General, Music should be "Always Different", Like People.
_nderscore
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 10:30 PM CDT

Quote by: CandyandPolice
WOOOO!! AMERICAN IDIOT IS FINALLY OOT AND ABOOT AND IT IS THE ONLY THING IM LISTENING TO! THE CD IS THE GREATEST THING IVE EVER HEARD! THAT, AND IM FINALLY GOIN TO THEIR CONCERT ON THE 30TH OF THE OCTOBERISH MONTH! GREENDAY AMERICAN IDIOT, GIVE IT A LISTEN OR TWO AND BUY BUY BUY DAMN YOU, BUY! And yea it had nothing to do with the topic but hey ITS MINE AND WHO SAYS I HAVE TO STAY ON TOPIC? CERTAINLY NOT MR.TEEPUDDLES, MY INVISIBLE CAT PSYCHIATRIST WHO SAYS MEAN THINGS LIKE "SHUT UP SHI ITE HEAD" OR F***OFF.(NOTICE MY LANGUAGE CONTROL, I PUT THOSE ASTERISKS IN MYSELF)) HES ONE NASTY KITTY. AND I THINK THERES A CRIPPLED BAT IN MY DRYER OR SOMETHING CUZ I CAN HEAR IT AND HES TWITCHEN ABOUT. GO MARCHING BAND WHICH IS COOL BUT WE HAVE TO COME TO PRACTICE AT LIKE 8 TOMMOROW IN THE PM.BUT HEY, LEAST WE GET A HALF DAY! WHAT DO YOU CARE, 99% OF YOU HAVE HIGH PAYING JOBS WITH YOUR FANCY FORD TAUROS'S AND HEY LOOKA ME, I CAN BUY GROCERIES, BUT WITH A CREDIT CARD WHICH WILL ADD TO MY HIGH INTEREST RATE AND PROBLY END UP PAYING MORE INTEREST THAN THE STUPID MILK WHICH NOW I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT FOR 1.99 BUT NOOO I USED A CREDIT CARD SO NOW I PAY MORE BUT ITS JUST MORE CONVIENANT AND NOW I CANT PAY FOR MY KIDS ..blah, blah, blabbedy blaaaaaaaah

GREAT LYRICS!
Authored by: _nderscore on Thursday, September 22 2004 @ 10:06 PM CDT

really like the free-associative nature of your work, maybe there's something to that ADHD thing after all. ..and i like your nod to fellow macjammers on this one, i mean you covered marching bands (shrimphombre), the limited life span of milk (pooey) & let's not forget that slappy-spicy-poo-poo-smelly humor (fosod's got ya covered on that one). seriously, why don't you throw down your rant to some music. you're gonna get mad hits from everyone here without even tryin-i mean, this thread alone has been read 2160 times-c'mon, WORK IT!! ..& yeah, the green day CD is gonna rock (cool, original shit from people closer to my age than yours)

[ Reply to this (with a song)

edit: where did this kid's post go? not quite fair, then again-who cares

_nderscore
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 22 2004 @ 11:04 PM CDT

Quote by: alanfraser
Will someone puh-leeze fix that kid's skateboard!!!

skatfix

..says it is 'the "Must Have" Tool for any Skater. Fixes all skateboards !'

give it a shot

(geez, i GOTTA get back to work) Evil