Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Re:Brace for Impact
Saturday, January 28 2017 @ 09:01 PM CST

Kevin, first of all, I do think the EO was overkill. Secondly, it was legal, i.e. allowed by the Constitution as an executive branch power. So, it was legal, but was it wise? That's a fair question.

The only other thing I would mention is - remember all the horrific stuff that everyone said about and feared concerning George W. Bush, who somehow was at the same time both a dunce and the worst conspiring and evil president ever? And not to mention Reagan? The "B" actor cowboy who was going to blow up the world? Both are now looked upon fondly by the the liberal establishment! So...

somehow America survived and will survive.

smug moral posturing & virtue signaling? nope...
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Saturday, January 28 2017 @ 09:52 PM CST

Quote by: particledots
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2017/jan/28/world-digests-donald-trumps-order-to-ban-refugees-from-muslim-countries

But not from the only country that produced terrorists that killed thousands of Americans.

I wonder what the logic is here.

Victor.

-- My CD.
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Saturday, January 28 2017 @ 09:57 PM CST

Quote by: VicDiesel
Quote by: particledots
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2017/jan/28/world-digests-donald-trumps-order-to-ban-refugees-from-muslim-countries

But not from the only country that produced terrorists that killed thousands of Americans.

I wonder what the logic is here.

Victor.

Trump has lots of business there

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Saturday, January 28 2017 @ 10:24 PM CST

The logic is that there are certain Muslim countries e.g. Saudi Arabia with whom the U.S. has close military ties and it would be counter productive and illogical to those arrangements to temporsrily ban travel. And not only Trump, but I would imagine many others including on the Left have business in that country. Pakistan with whom the U.S. has military cooperation doesn't seem to be under the ban and I don't know that Trump owns any real estate there. There is plenty to criticize Trump about in this EO without assuming and assigning the very worst.

VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Sunday, January 29 2017 @ 06:50 AM CST

Quote by: Dadai.2
The logic is

I really wonder why you are so eager to defend Trump's business interests. What has he ever done for you? Do you think he'll ever do anything for you?

Victor.

-- My CD.
particledots
Forum Full Member

Sunday, January 29 2017 @ 08:22 AM CST

particledots
Forum Full Member

Sunday, January 29 2017 @ 08:56 AM CST

The logic is that there are certain Muslim countries e.g. Saudi Arabia with whom the U.S. has close military ties and it would be counter productive and illogical to those arrangements to temporsrily ban travel. And not only Trump, but I would imagine many others including on the Left have business in that country. Pakistan with whom the U.S. has military cooperation doesn't seem to be under the ban and I don't know that Trump owns any real estate there. There is plenty to criticize Trump about in this EO without assuming and assigning the very worst.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/28/511996783/how-does-trumps-immigration-freeze-square-with-his-business-interests
particledots
Forum Full Member

Sunday, January 29 2017 @ 09:06 AM CST

Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Sunday, January 29 2017 @ 09:38 AM CST

Quote by: VicDiesel
The logic is

I really wonder why you are so eager to defend Trump's business interests. What has he ever done for you? Do you think he'll ever do anything for you?

Victor.

Oh, Vic, your incisive thinking has found me out! (Sarcasm alert)
News flash... I didn't vote for Trump. But he is the President now. Oppose him where you must, But don't go 100% Bush Trump derangement. 😀
It undermines your credibility and thus your opposition. I would think you would want to win people to your point of view. By th way I agree about your point on terrorism and the Saudis - the maddening inconsistency of the past six administrations.

peace...

chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Sunday, January 29 2017 @ 10:09 AM CST

On p2 of this thread I posted a list of things I was concerned about happening. Two weeks in and many of those items have already been checked.

There is no equivalent precedent for the blatant disregard for ethics, due-process, or consequences that these ill-considered actions represent. What follows are only a few samples from an already extensive list of offenses. I refuse to normalize this agenda, not because of the person enacting it, but because of the conflicts of interest and objective harm caused to institutions and people that result from it (whether done willfully or through ignorance).

I'm going to weather this administration just fine. I'm a middle-aged, white, male, professional, natural citizen. Many people, people in more vulnerable positions, will not be so fortunate. The harm done will be real and I do not wish to be complicit or complacent.

Immigration officials and the State Department were given little to no notice of the ban, and were in disarray when it came into effect. An unnamed senior US immigration official was so offended by the chaos and illegality that he spoke extensively and critically of the ban to reporters from The Intercept -- presaging a near future in which US government employees open up back-channels to the press to complain about the administration's racist, unconstitutional and illegal conduct. He said the ban "took everyone by surprise" and that they "had less than a day to review vague details...This EO took hours, and we never, never saw the final draft."

http://boingboing.net/2017/01/29/in-the-chaos-of-the-muslim-ban.html

Shortly after Donald Trump was sworn in as president, the Department of Labor's whistleblower site -- for Wells Fargo employees who wanted to report fraud in the ongoing scandal affecting millions of Americans -- disappeared. Donald Trump owes Wells Fargo more than $500,000,000.

https://nypost.com/2017/01/27/whistleblower-site-for-wells-fargo-workers-vanishes/

A 2009 rule created by Obama in his first days in office says that former executives and lobbyists can't be hired to work for the government in a capacity that gives them oversight over their former employers; they must wait for two years after leaving such employment before working in a regulatory capacity that relates to it.

The Trump administration is flouting this legal obligation with its appointees, as well as the weaker federal law that requires a one-year cooling off period. Former Exxonmobil CEO Rex Tillerson is in line to recieve a $180,000,000 bonus from Exxon as a goodbye gift before he takes over the State Department, and that's not all -- there's a whole raft of these conflicts in Trump's billionaire cabinet, where there's a fox for every henhouse.

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/trump-white-house-appears-kill-obamas-ethics-rule-appointees-may-not-be-signing

Two days after large numbers of people across the globe joined Woman's Marches, U.S. President Donald Trump reinstated the "global gag rule," which cuts off all U.S. funding to international NGOs whose work includes abortion services or advocacy.

NGOs that may be forced to reduce or close health services as a result of the policy are often a woman's only source of reproductive health care. They may, in fact, be her family's only point of medical contact for other primary health-care services, such as cervical screening, HIV prevention, testing and counseling, STI prevention and treatment, pre- and post-natal care and even newborn health care.

http://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2017-01-26/donald-trumps-executive-order-will-cause-more-abortions-not-fewer

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles