Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Les_Kloo
Forum Full Member

Re:Brace for Impact
Tuesday, January 31 2017 @ 06:37 PM CST

The one cabinet department that is near and dear to me….

Obama picked Ernest Moniz to be (2nd term) Secretary of Energy.
Trump picked Rick Perry to be Secretary of Energy.

Outgoing Secretary of the Department of Energy, Ernest Moniz

Prior to his appointment, Dr. Moniz was a Professor of Physics and Engineering Systems at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he was a faculty member since 1973. At MIT, he headed the Department of Physics and the Bates Linear Accelerator Center. Most recently, Dr. Moniz served as the founding Director of the MIT Energy Initiative and as Director of the MIT Laboratory for Energy and the Environment where he was a leader of multidisciplinary technology and policy studies on the future of nuclear power, coal, nuclear fuel cycles, natural gas, and solar energy in a low-carbon world.

From 1997 until January 2001, Dr. Moniz served as Under Secretary of the Department of Energy. He was responsible for overseeing the Department’s science and energy programs, leading a comprehensive review of nuclear weapons stockpile stewardship, and serving as the Secretary’s special negotiator for the disposition of Russian nuclear materials. From 1995 to 1997, he served as Associate Director for Science in the Office of Science and Technology Policy in the Executive Office of the President.

In addition to his work at MIT, the White House and the Department of Energy, Dr. Moniz has served on a number of boards of directors and commissions involving science, energy and security. These include President Obama’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, the Department of Defense Threat Reduction Advisory Committee, and the Blue Ribbon Commission on America’s Nuclear Future.

A member of the Council on Foreign Relations, Dr. Moniz is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Humboldt Foundation, and the American Physical Society.

Dr. Moniz received a Bachelor of Science degree summa cum laude in Physics from Boston College, a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics from Stanford University, and honorary degrees from the University of Athens, Boston College, Boston University, the University of Erlangen-Nurenberg, Iowa State University, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, Michigan State University and Universidad Pontificia de Comillas. He has been awarded the Distinguished Public Service Medal of the Department of Defense, and the Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry the Navigator.

Trump chose Rick Perry to be the DOE Secretary. He's not the worst of the cabinet nominees. But that's a low bar. Still, I would love to hear a defense of this choice from any MJers.

Trump says, “We have by far the highest IQ of any cabinet ever assembled.”

"It's a good issue to keep alive. It's fun to poke at him." --Rick Perry, suggesting that President Obama's birth certificate is a fake, Oct. 26, 2011

"The reason that we fought the [American] Revolution in the 16th century — was to get away from that kind of onerous crown, if you will." —Rick Perry, getting the date of the American Revolution wrong by two centuries

"It's a theory that's out there. It's got some gaps in it. In Texas we teach both creationism and evolution." –Rick Perry, in response to a child who asked him if he believed in evolution during a campaign stop in New Hampshire, August 18, 2011

"I don't think the federal government has a role in your children's education." –Rick Perry, at a campaign stop in Iowa, August 15, 2011

“George W. Bush did a incredible job in the presidency, defending us from freedom." –Rick Perry in 2010

“I think there are a substantial number of scientists who have manipulated data so that they will have dollars rolling into their projects. And I think we are seeing almost weekly, or even daily, scientists are coming forward and questioning the original idea that man-made global warming is what is causing the climate to change.”

“Religious freedom does not mean freedom from religion.”

"From time to time there are going to be things that occur that are acts of God that cannot be prevented." —Rick Perry, on the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, in 2010

"I am a firm believer in intelligent design as a matter of faith and intellect, and I believe it should be presented in schools alongside the theories of evolution." —Rick Perry in 2010

My music is much better than it sounds.
MotherofMeursault
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, January 31 2017 @ 08:09 PM CST

Quote by: Les_Kloo
The one cabinet department that is near and dear to me….

Obama picked Ernest Moniz to be (2nd term) Secretary of Energy.
Trump picked Rick Perry to be Secretary of Energy.

Outgoing Secretary of the Department of Energy, Ernest Moniz

Prior to his appointment, Dr. Moniz was a Professor of Physics and Engineering Systems at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he was a faculty member since 1973. At MIT, he headed the Department of Physics and the Bates Linear Accelerator Center. Most recently, Dr. Moniz served as the founding Director of the MIT Energy Initiative and as Director of the MIT Laboratory for Energy and the Environment where he was a leader of multidisciplinary technology and policy studies on the future of nuclear power, coal, nuclear fuel cycles, natural gas, and solar energy in a low-carbon world.

From 1997 until January 2001, Dr. Moniz served as Under Secretary of the Department of Energy. He was responsible for overseeing the Department’s science and energy programs, leading a comprehensive review of nuclear weapons stockpile stewardship, and serving as the Secretary’s special negotiator for the disposition of Russian nuclear materials. From 1995 to 1997, he served as Associate Director for Science in the Office of Science and Technology Policy in the Executive Office of the President.

In addition to his work at MIT, the White House and the Department of Energy, Dr. Moniz has served on a number of boards of directors and commissions involving science, energy and security. These include President Obama’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, the Department of Defense Threat Reduction Advisory Committee, and the Blue Ribbon Commission on America’s Nuclear Future.

A member of the Council on Foreign Relations, Dr. Moniz is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Humboldt Foundation, and the American Physical Society.

Dr. Moniz received a Bachelor of Science degree summa cum laude in Physics from Boston College, a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics from Stanford University, and honorary degrees from the University of Athens, Boston College, Boston University, the University of Erlangen-Nurenberg, Iowa State University, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, Michigan State University and Universidad Pontificia de Comillas. He has been awarded the Distinguished Public Service Medal of the Department of Defense, and the Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry the Navigator.

Trump chose Rick Perry to be the DOE Secretary. He's not the worst of the cabinet nominees. But that's a low bar. Still, I would love to hear a defense of this choice from any MJers.

Trump says, “We have by far the highest IQ of any cabinet ever assembled.”

"It's a good issue to keep alive. It's fun to poke at him." --Rick Perry, suggesting that President Obama's birth certificate is a fake, Oct. 26, 2011

"The reason that we fought the [American
Revolution in the 16th century — was to get away from that kind of onerous crown, if you will." —Rick Perry, getting the date of the American Revolution wrong by two centuries

"It's a theory that's out there. It's got some gaps in it. In Texas we teach both creationism and evolution." –Rick Perry, in response to a child who asked him if he believed in evolution during a campaign stop in New Hampshire, August 18, 2011

"I don't think the federal government has a role in your children's education." –Rick Perry, at a campaign stop in Iowa, August 15, 2011

“George W. Bush did a incredible job in the presidency, defending us from freedom." –Rick Perry in 2010

“I think there are a substantial number of scientists who have manipulated data so that they will have dollars rolling into their projects. And I think we are seeing almost weekly, or even daily, scientists are coming forward and questioning the original idea that man-made global warming is what is causing the climate to change.”

“Religious freedom does not mean freedom from religion.”

"From time to time there are going to be things that occur that are acts of God that cannot be prevented." —Rick Perry, on the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, in 2010

"I am a firm believer in intelligent design as a matter of faith and intellect, and I believe it should be presented in schools alongside the theories of evolution." —Rick Perry in 2010

My apologies if this is off topic, but it is a subject that has been on my mind quite a bit the past few years:

Herein lies my (and, I suspect, a broad swath of other people's) deep distrust of so-called experts.

Dr Moniz is clearly a more learned man than Rick Perry. He is clearly more thoughtful, more aware and more skilled in the labyrinthine byways of bureaucracies, too (which is no small advantage, either: government secretariats are bureaucratic, not academic, positions). Given the chance, I would much rather have dinner with Dr Moniz than with Rick Perry. So, all signs point to the supremacy of Dr Moniz over Rick Perry. And yet…

Dr Moniz oversaw the vast expansion of government spending on 'renewable energy', with its endless dotting of bird-killing windmills and pilot-blinding fields of glass; the whole thing an enormous boondoggle of government waste and industrial scale virtue signaling with disastrous economic results, and scant energy production.

Rick Perry oversaw growth of his state that rivaled California's Silicon Valley in its ability to attract skilled labor. He grew his state and its tax base with minimal growth of government, and he did it during the worst recession since the 1930's.

Is it possible that most 'experts' are more effective in settings better suited to their chosen fields than they are in government? That it takes (for lack of better terminology) a "special kind of stupid" to achieve great leadership at the government level?

Put another way, is it possible you are assigning 'expertise' to the wrong people?

Personally, I think it's more than probable.

MoM
bud
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, January 31 2017 @ 09:12 PM CST

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, February 01 2017 @ 12:00 AM CST

Quote by: MotherofMeursault
Dr Moniz oversaw the vast expansion of government spending on 'renewable energy', with its endless dotting of bird-killing windmills and pilot-blinding fields of glass; the whole thing an enormous boondoggle of government waste and industrial scale virtue signaling with disastrous economic results, and scant energy production.

First, here is an excellent source for facts on energy production:
https://www.eia.gov

Of the $32B 2017 DoE budget, the major line items are:
$13B Energy/Materials Research/Development (strategic reserves, National Labs, etc.)
$19B National Nuclear Securities Administration and Defense

https://energy.gov/budget-performance

Rick Perry oversaw growth of his state that rivaled California's Silicon Valley in its ability to attract skilled labor. He grew his state and its tax base with minimal growth of government, and he did it during the worst recession since the 1930's.

A fair recap of Perry's Texas energy legacy:
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/12/13/recap-rick-perrys-texas-energy-legacy/

Including the following...

The state’s wind power sector hardly existed when Perry took his oath of office, but Texas became the nation’s leader in wind energy generation during his tenure — and he helped steer that boom.

In 2000, wind farms generated just 116 megawatts of capacity on the state’s main electric grid. That number soared to more than 11,000 megawatts under Perry, with wind fuels about 10 percent of all generation. (On average, one megawatt-hour can power 260 typical Texas homes for an hour.)

Marston, of the Environmental Defense Fund, said much of the renewable expansion wasn't Perry's idea but that he also supported it. That was likely because of job growth, not global warming, noted Smitherman, the former Texas energy regulator.

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, February 01 2017 @ 07:39 AM CST

Herein lies my (and, I suspect, a broad swath of other people's) deep distrust of so-called experts.

And since you are not an expert, your argument will not have occurred to the actual expert?

Dr Moniz oversaw the vast expansion of government spending on 'renewable energy',

Trying to get us out of a 19th century technology that is unsustainable.

Rick Perry oversaw growth of his state that rivaled California's Silicon Valley in its ability to attract skilled labor. He grew his state and its tax base with minimal growth of government,

No. He rode the coattails of the energy price. Now that oil prices are dropping Texas is not doing great. In other words, Perry did not build anything sustainable.

He is also a crony capitalist of the worst kind.

https://www.propublica.org/article/rick-perrys-energy-grants-in-texas

Victor.

-- My CD.
MotherofMeursault
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, February 01 2017 @ 04:16 PM CST

Quote by: VicDiesel

No. He rode the coattails of the energy price. Now that oil prices are dropping Texas is not doing great. In other words, Perry did not build anything sustainable.

He is also a crony capitalist of the worst kind.

https://www.propublica.org/article/rick-perrys-energy-grants-in-texas

Victor.

You are quite right about Rick; and I'm no fan of his.
To be clear, though, my posting was less "Buh-bye, egghead; Rick's MY guy", and more "Despite having a lower IQ, Rick might manage the job more effectively". I stand by that idea: expertise, especially in managing big companies or bureaucracies, has so little to do with academic ability & achievement that the comparison is absurd. My post is really about how we establish expertise. That's why I apologized for introducing a tangential idea.

MoM

VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, February 01 2017 @ 06:49 PM CST

[...
expertise, especially in managing big companies or bureaucracies, has so little to do with academic ability & achievement that the comparison is absurd.

What's your favourite example?

Mine is Carli Fiorina. She's a pure bean counter with no knowledge of tech matters and she basically ran HP, a company made successful by two engineers, into the ground.

Victor.

-- My CD.
MotherofMeursault
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, February 01 2017 @ 07:39 PM CST

Carly's a good choice, but for sheer destruction of value it's hard to beat Marissa Mayer. Her resume is bulletproof!

MoM
MotherofMeursault
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, February 01 2017 @ 07:49 PM CST

Oh, sorry, you meant my favorite example of a person with no resume to speak of running a company well? My mistake. That would have to be Steve Jobs, college dropout with zero official credentials.

VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, February 01 2017 @ 08:20 PM CST

That would have to be Steve Jobs, college dropout with zero official credentials.

1. Jobs worked at Atari and was in the Homebrew Computer Club, so he had a lot of computer knowledge by the time he and Woz started Atari.

2. On the other hand he had no business background.

So I'm not quite sure what you're saying. You are definitely saying that you don't need to know about energy to run an energy department. Are you now also saying that you don't need any running skills to run any department?

Victor.

-- My CD.