Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Re:Brace for Impact
Monday, August 14 2017 @ 03:09 PM CDT

Quote by: ktb
Quote by: MikeRobinson

I think that it’s rather shrewd what he did do:   he responded rather unequivocably, and said that there were problems on both sides ... which, there are.   Any statement that addressed only one side would have been immediately torn apart by one side and lifted to the sky by the other.   But you just can’t do that so easily with a response like the one that he actually gave.   The protest elicited a response – of course it must have – but it didn’t dictate the terms of that response.

Mike, I am begging you. As a fellow musician. As a decent human being - please stop. A little piece of my soul dies everytime you post.

peace

John

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
carbon
Forum Chatty

Monday, August 14 2017 @ 05:47 PM CDT

I think that it’s rather shrewd what he did do:   he responded rather unequivocably, and said that there were problems on both sides ... which, there are.   Any statement that addressed only one side would have been immediately torn apart by one side and lifted to the sky by the other.   But you just can’t do that so easily with a response like the one that he actually gave.

False equivalence: a logical fallacy in which two opposing arguments appear to be logically equivalent when in fact they are not.

Sure there are problems on both sides. However the crux of one side's argument is that everyone, regardless of skin color, sexuality, nationality, religious belief, etc... deserves to be treated with basic human dignity and decency. The other side's argument seems to be more along the lines of, "fuck you, get out of my country".

That anyone needs to explain or clarify this is ridiculous.
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Monday, August 14 2017 @ 07:58 PM CDT

Okay, I’ll stop posting (on this thread), because I don’t want to offend anyone nor to alienate myself.   I’ll close, with this:

What happened that day was an act of “mass terrorism.”   But, three people are now dead, not only because some group of damned fools wanted to do it, but also because someone else didn’t refuse to allow it and then didn’t stop it in its tracks.   So, mistakes were made on both sides.   Anyone who showed up wearing or bearing the symbols of hate should have been immediately arrested, and isolated in jail ... the event prevented, and not allowed to start.   No one has any entitlement, Constitutional or otherwise, to perpetrate any felony like this.   This was an evil genie waiting once again to be set free from its bottle.   That cork should have been steadfastly held closed by whatever means necessary.

Notice that I’m not weighing the felons’ viewpoints against anyone else – their viewpoints have no place at all in “my country.”   (We are United States.)   I’m simply observing that mistakes were made on both sides ... the felons, and local governance/law-enforcement ... which permitted the event to occur at all.   It should have been instantly recognized that this is illegal under the Civil Rights Act and other law; that it is no one’s legitimate exercise of Constitutional Right.   This is neither speech nor peaceable assembly, and we didn’t have to wait for the “peace” to fail to know in advance that it would and to disallow it.   It was a mass hate-crime – mass terrorism – period.   Don’t let it start and then deal with the consequences reactively – don’t let it start!

Our national resolve must be – and, is – this:   that, no matter what terrorism occurred in our documented national past, it won’t be tolerated in our present or in our future.   No matter what your skin looks like, “let none live in fear.”   The civil rights legislation that we have enacted in recent years, means something to us all.   The past will not be repeated.   Those who try, will be treated most harshly under the Law.

Maybe these felons thought they were saying something by wearing red baseball caps.   Maybe they thought they represent some legitimate part of what America is today by re-enacting some awful chapter of its past.   Maybe they thought they were entitled to do it by the supreme law of the country.   I don’t give a damn what they think.   They were wrong.   And if they rot in jail for the rest of their days, that’s okay by me.
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Monday, August 14 2017 @ 08:35 PM CDT

Quote by: ktb

I think that it’s rather shrewd what he did do:   he responded rather unequivocably, and said that there were problems on both sides ... which, there are.   Any statement that addressed only one side would have been immediately torn apart by one side and lifted to the sky by the other.   But you just can’t do that so easily with a response like the one that he actually gave.   The protest elicited a response – of course it must have – but it didn’t dictate the terms of that response.

Mike, I am begging you. As a fellow musician. As a decent human being - please stop. A little piece of my soul dies everytime you post.

peace

John

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Monday, August 14 2017 @ 08:37 PM CDT

Quote by: carbon

I think that it’s rather shrewd what he did do:   he responded rather unequivocably, and said that there were problems on both sides ... which, there are.   Any statement that addressed only one side would have been immediately torn apart by one side and lifted to the sky by the other.   But you just can’t do that so easily with a response like the one that he actually gave.

False equivalence: a logical fallacy in which two opposing arguments appear to be logically equivalent when in fact they are not.

Sure there are problems on both sides. However the crux of one side's argument is that everyone, regardless of skin color, sexuality, nationality, religious belief, etc... deserves to be treated with basic human dignity and decency. The other side's argument seems to be more along the lines of, "fuck you, get out of my country".

That anyone needs to explain or clarify this is ridiculous.

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
particledots
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, August 15 2017 @ 02:10 AM CDT

Quote by: Daugrin

Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

particledots
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, August 15 2017 @ 07:24 PM CDT

Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/15/trump-retweets-alt-right-provocateur-after-condemning-white-supremacists

magnatone
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, August 15 2017 @ 07:25 PM CDT

Quote by: particledots

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/15/trump-retweets-alt-right-provocateur-after-condemning-white-supremacists

oh.my.fucking.god.

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
particledots
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, August 15 2017 @ 07:28 PM CDT

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/14/donald-trump-inauguration-protest-website-search-warrant-dreamhost

particledots
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, August 15 2017 @ 07:30 PM CDT

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/15/donald-trump-press-conference-far-right-defends-charlottesville

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/15/donald-trump-charlottesville-trump-tower-white-supremacists