Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
davajonah
Forum Full Member

Re:Brace for Impact
Wednesday, September 20 2017 @ 11:29 AM CDT

Quote by: Les_Kloo
Quote by: MikeRobinson
Personally, I think that Simon and Garfunkel would be embarrassed ...

Oh, come on. “We’d like to help you learn to punctuate.” You have to admit that that was pretty good; to the point and perfect cadence. By the way, and in that vein, you don't need to italicize unless you're writing in a foreign language or quoting someone besides yourself. Also, why is there an ellipsis where the end of your sentence should be? There ya go.... (four dots if you end a sentence with an ellipsis, OK?)

Personally, it surprises me to learn that you’re familiar with the concept of “embarrassment.”

Sadly, there is no 'like' button here.

It's about time I changed this...
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 20 2017 @ 11:38 AM CDT

Quote by: davajonah
Quote by: Les_Kloo
Personally, I think that Simon and Garfunkel would be embarrassed ...

Oh, come on. “We’d like to help you learn to punctuate.” You have to admit that that was pretty good; to the point and perfect cadence. By the way, and in that vein, you don't need to italicize unless you're writing in a foreign language or quoting someone besides yourself. Also, why is there an ellipsis where the end of your sentence should be? There ya go.... (four dots if you end a sentence with an ellipsis, OK?)

Personally, it surprises me to learn that you’re familiar with the concept of “embarrassment.”

Sadly, there is no 'like' button here.

how about this:

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 20 2017 @ 11:05 PM CDT

Italics or no, I was just (shrug ...) “rather less than impressed with it,” that’s all.

The election of our latest President – a choice without precedent in the entire(!) past history of our nation – has certainly changed the entire tenor of our nation’s political discourse.   But I happen to think that it will turn out to be a harbinger of a great many changes to come ... and which very well might also change how we talk about (and, sing about) the changes as they occur.   I think that we will begin to see an entirely different flavor of “political music, protest and otherwise,” and I don’t anticipate that it will draw upon – as this parody did – the anti-Korea/Vietnam music of the 60’s and early 70’s.

“We live in interesting times.   Again.”
particledots
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 20 2017 @ 11:58 PM CDT

Quote by: Daugrin

Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-lawyers-exclusive/trump-using-campaign-rnc-funds-to-pay-legal-bills-from-russia-probe-sources-idUSKCN1BU2OS
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Thursday, September 21 2017 @ 08:26 AM CDT

Italics or no, I was just (shrug ...) “rather less than impressed with it,” that’s all.

perhaps you missed the point

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
mr_mordenus
Forum Full Member

Thursday, September 21 2017 @ 02:05 PM CDT

Mr. Mike Robinson,

This may sound a bit insensitive, and it's truly not meant as such, but what *is* it with the punctuation? If this is a particular style you've affected, please know that, as a reader, it's like driving on a road that drastically changes surfaces without warning. It's visually confusing and makes reading your content more an act of translation than simply reading.

You're a thoughtful guy, you clearly enjoy writing and debating ideas. But your use of multiple font styles, punctuation overload and whatnot simply gets in the way of what you're trying to say. It's a string of literary gimmicks that draws far too much attention to themselves and not the idea you're trying to get across.

I'd suggest picking up a copy of The Elements Of Style, by Willian Strunk Jr. It's a small book, but straightforward and clear as a glass of high-quality tequila.

Might be the best book I ever read.
particledots
Forum Full Member

Friday, September 22 2017 @ 05:07 PM CDT

Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/22/betsy-devos-scraps-obama-rules-on-investigating-campus-sexual-assault
particledots
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 27 2017 @ 07:53 AM CDT

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/27/nigel-farage-america-ukip-steve-bannon
particledots
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 27 2017 @ 08:10 AM CDT

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/26/trump-puerto-rico-crisis-massive-debt

particledots
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, September 27 2017 @ 11:46 PM CDT

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/28/otto-warmbier-torture-north-korea-coroner