Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Re:Brace for Impact
Wednesday, December 06 2017 @ 12:14 PM CST

So, might this be the sort of thing that the FCC might be so-very-eager to shut down?

http://www.projectveritas.com

? ? ?

Sounds like “the First Amendment, in the 21st Century,” to me!   (But, what do you think?)
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 06 2017 @ 04:36 PM CST

I really tried to ignore this thread.

RT (Russia Today) is a news organ owned by Putin-aligned oligarchs that opportunistically supports Putin-favored candidates and undermines his rivals. "Project Veritas" is a salacious propaganda effort that has been repeatedly caught lying, doctoring footage, and convicted of felonies.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Russia_Today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-danger-of-russian-disinformation/2016/05/06/b31d9718-12d5-11e6-8967-7ac733c56f12_story.html

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Project_Veritas

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/a-woman-approached-the-post-with-dramatic--and-false--tale-about-roy-moore-sje-appears-to-be-part-of-undercover-sting-operation/2017/11/27/0c2e335a-cfb6-11e7-9d3a-bcbe2af58c3a_story.html

If you're going to be worried about the FCC be worried about how abandonment of the net neutrality regulations will allow a handful of corporations to determine what unrestricted content a majority of Americans are able to access.

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 07 2017 @ 04:49 PM CST

Quote by: chikoppi
I really tried to ignore this thread.

RT (Russia Today) is a news organ owned by Putin-aligned oligarchs that opportunistically supports Putin-favored candidates and undermines his rivals. "Project Veritas" is a salacious propaganda effort that has been repeatedly caught lying, doctoring footage, and convicted of felonies.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Russia_Today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-danger-of-russian-disinformation/2016/05/06/b31d9718-12d5-11e6-8967-7ac733c56f12_story.html

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Project_Veritas

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/a-woman-approached-the-post-with-dramatic--and-false--tale-about-roy-moore-sje-appears-to-be-part-of-undercover-sting-operation/2017/11/27/0c2e335a-cfb6-11e7-9d3a-bcbe2af58c3a_story.html

If you're going to be worried about the FCC be worried about how abandonment of the net neutrality regulations will allow a handful of corporations to determine what unrestricted content a majority of Americans are able to access.

Thank you for being intelligent, and well informed, and of a sharing disposition, Brian....

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 08 2017 @ 08:55 PM CST

In the end, I am quite confident that the Federal Communications Commission will not be finally left with the authority to make such a momentous decision as though it were just some kind of administrative, procedural act.   The US Congress, and probably international treaties, will have to become involved in this.

The Internet is not simply “a form of communication within the United States of America,” since it connects all over the world, and it has already been questioned therefore whether the FCC has proper jurisdiction.   But I frankly think that we are going to see a delicate attempt at “administrative extortion” first.   The FCC is going to play their hand – one way or the other – then, that hand is going to be taken away by others.
particledots
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 10 2017 @ 09:19 AM CST

Quote by: Daugrin

Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/10/robert-mueller-trump-special-counsel-russia
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Sunday, December 10 2017 @ 09:24 AM CST

Quote by: MikeRobinson

In the end, I am quite confident that the Federal Communications Commission will not be finally left with the authority to make such a momentous decision as though it were just some kind of administrative, procedural act.   The US Congress, and probably international treaties, will have to become involved in this.

pie in the sky

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 11 2017 @ 07:59 AM CST

Quote by: magnatone
pie in the sky

Let me elaborate:   I am now certain that the FCC will “decide” to end Net Neutrality.

Once they definitively make that move, that’s when the international explosion will occur which will lead to the first formal legislative (and treaty) recognition of what the Internet now is, and of what it has become.   Both the FCC and the companies who are now petitioning it will have their teeth pulled out.   But they have to make the first foolish move ... and I am certain that they will.   (Or, they might decide to “fumble the football” to buy time.)

Comcast in particular will continue losing customers in droves.   (Both Comcast and AT&T are being forced to admit, to their shareholders, that they actually have competitors – not a monopoly – and that customers are abandoning them in very great numbers.   Comcast has been called “the most reviled by name company in America,” and they have only their own mis-management to blame.)

The biggest competitors that these companies face are Telephone companies and Power companies, who have abandoned copper-wire networks in the ground and have installed optical networks which are considerably faster (and require much less maintenance) than the coax networks that preceded them.   Wireless networks, not necessarily used for “cell phones,” are yet-another high speed alternative.   So, the would-be monopolists who are asking the FCC to allow the to exercise a monopolist’s prerogatives are just going to drive even more business away.

The remainder of the Internet – the so-called backbone – is redundant enough to (supposedly ...) withstand an atomic attack.   No one can exercise monopoly control over that, and no one can close all routes to a destination in order to throttle it.
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 11 2017 @ 08:29 AM CST

Quote by: MikeRobinson
Quote by: magnatone
pie in the sky

Let me elaborate:   I am now certain that the FCC will “decide” to end Net Neutrality.

Once they definitively make that move, that’s when the international explosion will occur which will lead to the first formal legislative (and treaty) recognition of what the Internet now is, and of what it has become.   Both the FCC and the companies who are now petitioning it will have their teeth pulled out.   But they have to make the first foolish move ... and I am certain that they will.   (Or, they might decide to “fumble the football” to buy time.)

Comcast in particular will continue losing customers in droves.   (Both Comcast and AT&T are being forced to admit, to their shareholders, that they actually have competitors – not a monopoly – and that customers are abandoning them in very great numbers.   Comcast has been called “the most reviled by name company in America,” and they have only their own mis-management to blame.)

The biggest competitors that these companies face are Telephone companies and Power companies, who have abandoned copper-wire networks in the ground and have installed optical networks which are considerably faster (and require much less maintenance) than the coax networks that preceded them.   Wireless networks, not necessarily used for “cell phones,” are yet-another high speed alternative.   So, the would-be monopolists who are asking the FCC to allow the to exercise a monopolist’s prerogatives are just going to drive even more business away.

The remainder of the Internet – the so-called backbone – is redundant enough to (supposedly ...) withstand an atomic attack.   No one can exercise monopoly control over that, and no one can close all routes to a destination in order to throttle it.

thanks for the mansplain. like i said - pie in the sky

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Monday, December 11 2017 @ 08:48 AM CST

I think that this is the way things will come down:
  • The FCC will foolishly rule to end net neutrality, say at 10:00 AM.
  • Lawyers will already be posted outside of Federal courtrooms with pre-prepared cases – and we already know that they will be – and they will file those cases in very-large numbers by 10:30.
  • One or more judges will have no reasonable choice but to issue injunctions barring implementation of the measure, possibly by the end of day-one.
Meanwhile, in the next few days, woebetide any ISP whose subscribers now think that “access to this-or-that web site is a little slow.”   Still more lawsuits will be filed.   Having asked for and obtained the right to discriminate between one type of information which they carry and another, they will now be presumed to be exercising those powers.   Since their networks readily cross state boundaries, all lawsuits will be Federal.

There are a wide variety of existing laws which already cover these matters:   for instance, railroads are not permitted to delay competitor’s railcars or shipments.   The telephone company could not use “long-distance” as a monopoly.   (Remember “10-10-321" ? )   They are common carriers.

Meanwhile, international reactions will be piling up fast, and the US Congress will realize that it must act – and must act quickly.   Unfortunately, legislation that is passed “quickly” is historically not-very-good.   But they will certainly eventually declare that Internet Service Providers are “common carriers.”

particledots
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 12 2017 @ 06:36 AM CST

Quote by: Daugrin

Day one. Nothing unusual happened. Maybe you could relax a little? In deference to your stern, heart felt warning, please keep all informed if ya feel something hit.

Daug

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/12/roy-moore-rally-bigotry-claims-alabama-vote