Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
north of nubia
Forum Junior

All in my Head
Sunday, April 04 2004 @ 04:36 PM CDT

On friday, I went to one of fav dance clubs withs friends, I had a great night out but I found that I was deconstructing the records in my head as i danced.'oh bass there, drums there, oh cymbals mmm nice loop etc and so on. It wasn't to every record but there was quite a few I did it to. The same seems to go for when I am listening to tracks on my iPod and music on the TV but not when I listen to the radio, which is strange but then again it's usually crap being played so that might explain it.

Now I know I didn't do that before getting GB anyone else doing the same or is it just me?
dchapman
Forum Full Member

Re:All in my Head
Sunday, April 04 2004 @ 10:47 PM CDT

It's a disease, I think. Having played guitar for almost 18 years now, and playing professionally for a large chunk of that, I constantly analyze music. Oh this sounds like that, these guys must have been influenced by that... oh I know what he's playing there... it just gets worse (or better, depending on how you look at it).

Although, now that I'm using this new software and this new recording method (I grew up on the now vulnerable 4 & 8 track tape processes) I'm constantly looking for new ideas in everything I hear, so like you I deconstruct. I've starting listening to the things that aren't so obvious but make the song... you know, those second and third guitar parts that are way in the back. That droning string section that is almost transparent. It's these little tricks that put the icing on the cake.

Uh, oh, I think I'm ranting... I'll stop now.

Check out my Latest Instrumental: Waiting for the Other
north of nubia
Forum Junior

Monday, April 05 2004 @ 08:29 AM CDT

Relief as I thought it was just me Smile. re your comments on the less obvious things that make a track, yep I am the same. The hook is mixed way back almost hidden it's not all about the beat but it nags away at you in the tune so much it makes you focus on it. it's clever how it's done but I guess the top producers know all the tricks to give a song that edge.

deconstructing I guess it's not that bad as it makes me appreciate the record more but on a more technical level, a good song is a good song irrespective of production.
Admin
Forum Full Member

Monday, April 05 2004 @ 09:19 PM CDT

I've found this too as I've worked more and more with GarageBand. When I hear a song I like I start to think how I could get a similar mood in a song I could do myself. What would the percussion sound like? How can I get that synth sound? How is this layered together?

The next progression, I think, is concentrating on song writing/composition. How do the sections of a song relate to each other? When/where can a pause or stripping of the track layers take place for emphasis or de-emphasis? For many loop-based artists, I think these struggles will be the most difficult. Getting a sound you like in one instant or over a minute or so is not too difficult -- trying to weave together a coherent composition with a spot for builds, choruses, bridges, etc., is much less intuitive, I've found.

Rock on.
morrie
Forum Newbie

how did they play that ????
Wednesday, April 14 2004 @ 10:34 PM CDT

Speaking of deconstructing songs, here's a little application I find quite useful. It's called Amazing Slow Downer (http://www.ronimusic.com) Its name says it all. It slows down songs without changing the pitch, so I can figure out "how did they play that" ?

morrie

m
Kharismatic
Forum Newbie

Wednesday, April 14 2004 @ 11:00 PM CDT

don't trip! That is the beginnings of a great producer/musician. I do it all the time. I listen to the beatles' abbey road once a week just to hear new stuff. it's natural

blamm
Forum Full Member

Thursday, April 15 2004 @ 11:16 AM CDT

A friend of mine recently started teaching me a lot about engineering and producing. The first thing he told me was, "If you go down this road, you will no longer enjoy listening to music like you did before. You will instead find yourself appreciating things you never noticed, but it will never be the same."

He was absolutely right, of course...just as many of you have commented above. And as to your comment about Abbey Road...I was listening to a handful of Beatles stuff the other day and noticed things I've never noticed before. The very first word of Eleanore Rigby panned left, but then it pans right (why?). In "Two of Us"...Paul and John switch vocal parts on the last verse...nice and subtle. These are all things that seem obvious now...but I was blistfully ignorant of them before.

It's a whole new world.

Is this thing on?