Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Heightened
Forum Junior

Logic Pro 8 Fade Out
Sunday, October 07 2007 @ 03:22 AM CDT

Hi. I'm a pretty simple guy and virtually understand nothing about computers let alone all this software jargon. That's why I purchased 'Logic.' Boy did that bite in the butt. I can't even figure out how to fade out. Been trying for days. Talk about frustrating. Any help would be appreciated. Can Fade Out even be done?

Heightened
Axgrinder
Forum Full Member

Re:Logic Pro 8 Fade Out
Sunday, October 07 2007 @ 05:46 AM CDT

Why certainly, you can do this on each individual track and/or the song as a whole. punch your #2 key which will put you in split screen mixer mode, or view if you will. next, click your global button, the one thats unlit on the upper left of your mixer window. Move the slider all the way to the right which will be the end of your channel bars. Double click the last one that says "output 1&2." Now punch your #1 key which shall bring you back full track screen. On the bottom of your track bar you will now see "output 1&2" Click on it so it's enabled (Should be highlighted.) Now punch your "V" key which shall enable track automation. Make sure to click only "track selected" unless you want them all to be! Now I'm going to provide you with a visual that should clarify the the rest of this procedure. That yellow line running through your output track is your volume line, if it is selected in the box to the very left of it. You can use your pencil tool or your arrow, it doesn't matter at this point. Click the line where you wish to start your fade out. Then click it again where you want the volume to drop out completely. Pull the the line all the way to the bottom of the track box and wallah! You just made a fade out (};-P) I only have logic 7, but I'm sure this is accomplished the same way in 8. I would suggest you get some tutorials. Logic has a pretty high learning curve.

*Soon to be updated* {I'm here for the "M-U-S-I-C" not the "F-O-R-U-M"} With all this great music, how does one score'um? funny animated gif

Sunday, October 07 2007 @ 10:23 AM CDT

Hi H. Hi Alvi. Glad to see you are stil here Alvin. Anyway. Things are a bit different in LP8. I won't go into any other details here. As Alvin said there is indeed a learning curve. That said there is also a re-learning cuve involved with somethings in LP8. Key commands have changed,also many things are done from the arrange window unlike LP7. So then..With the arrange window open. At left you will see the "inspector" or the channel strip for the track you have highlighted. You see both the tracks volume slider,etc and also the output channels slider,etc. If you Control click on the output track you can add it to the arrange window be selecting create.select arrange window. Now the output channel will appear in the arrange window. Drag it to the bottom. Make sure it is highlighted. Then do the same for the master strip ,now next to it in inspector. You may have to drag that to the bottom or not. If you push the letter "a" on your qwerty.You will now see the Automation=A,,,track lanes. Again make sure master is hi-lited and click in the track LANE. A yellow line appears and the READ button turns green (I think).. Now you can procced as AXE said with making the fade out. One more thing. There is no longer a toolbox area in the inspector lane. The toolbox has been moved to the top rite of the arrange window. You will most likely see to pointer tools side by side unless you have assigned them. The rite tool item is once selected accessed by holding the command key down. So select the pencil tool and now you can draw a cuve into the master tracks volume automation lane. Also one more thing. If you are finding it hard to make very fine adjustments to the volume automation in regards to DB levels. You can Click then click Controll to make finer adjustments. The trick to doing this successfully is to release the mouse first. If you release the Control key first you value will jump. So it takes some getting used to. And yes go get a book.Or open the one that came with LP8 either in PDF or actual paper. Not yet out is a book from Peachpit.......peachpit.com/applebooklet ..Logic Pro 8 and Logic Exspress 8.. Check them out.. Taylor
Heightened
Forum Junior

Monday, October 08 2007 @ 06:40 AM CDT

Thanks Axgrinder and taylormorgan for putting me on the right path. I just finished another song - fortunately I didn't need fade out. But I over did it and am pretty tired. Tomorrow I'm going to go over all the info with a fine tooth comb and figure this out once and for all. Cheers guys!

Heightened
Heightened
Forum Junior

Monday, October 08 2007 @ 10:43 PM CDT

Piles of thanks guys! Just figured it out. MacJam rules!

Heightened
rover101
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, October 09 2007 @ 04:14 PM CDT

Just got turned off Logic again. So much more complicated than it should be.

Noli bastardi carborundum

Wednesday, October 10 2007 @ 04:53 AM CDT

Hi. Glad you got it up and running. I took you what seems to be viewed as the long way. But I figure it's best to start to understand both the toolbox items and the power of drawing in automation. But now the simple way. Go to mixer.control clik master to put it in the arrange window. Select the track and on the left just above the pan knob select latch or touch. Now just push play (no need to push record). And move the volume slider. Rewind and there is your volume automation. If you want to view what you just click "a" on the qwerty and the automation lanes will come up in the arrange window. You should change the latch to read so you won't mistakenly add to or overwrite depending on the setting.The reason I chose to reply in the way I originally did is this.It allows for you to see other aspects and also gives you the ability to begin to become involved with the programs abilities. It is similiar to asking some one how to do something and then wanting to ask them "Well exactly how did you arrive at this answer". I hope my reasoning is not a bad thing for you. But OK here is anothr thing. If you are wanting to get into the depth of track automation. select a software inst track and load say a piano from the settings library. Now if you click "a" and in the track lanes channel click the volume (hold). You will see everything that can be automated. Each FXs items as well as the instruments available options. As you can see with the clik of a couple buttons you can go rather deep very quickly. So hopefully you will explore theese features and see how powerful or subtle they can be used for you. Taylor