Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
tl9015
Forum Newbie

Music production
Friday, January 04 2008 @ 07:28 PM CST

Hello, I am wanting to start producing music on my laptop as a hobby but don't know where to start. I am learning chords and notes slowly. My main instrument is drums but don't plan to start recording just yet because equipments are $$ (I'm a student). So I just want to make music with a simple midi keyboard and a software (pro tools or Logic). I heard however that pro tools, you need a factory, rack, or mbox to go with it or else the software won't work. That kind of sways my decision to go with logic (have done composition with garageband and reason before but feel limited). Can anyone help with how I should start? I might want to sell my music later.

Also does anyone have a link to what equipments studios use for music production?
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Re:Music production
Friday, January 04 2008 @ 07:40 PM CST

"Do or do not...there is no try"
-Yoda

Seriously, just get Logic Express and start producing music. You probably should read the manual first and maybe even get a book.

and this is a good link for getting a quick overview with lotsa gear links:http://www.tweakheadz.com/

Friday, January 04 2008 @ 07:55 PM CST

Yep, Logic Express works OK for me, too. It even lets you use your computer keyboard as a MIDI input: no additional equipment required.

Jump in, friend.
davisamerica
Forum Full Member

Friday, January 04 2008 @ 07:58 PM CST

ummm can even use your keyboard as a midi in gb..lol

I have finally figured this out but now I have forgotten what to use it for.
tl9015
Forum Newbie

Friday, January 04 2008 @ 08:03 PM CST

Lol I used my keyboard before on garageband and can't take it. I am looking for a midi keyboard. I was thinking of the axiom from M audio due to the nice big trigger pads (Going to use for drums).

What are all the different mixers, interfaces, etc. equipment in professional studios? I am just interested. Does anyone have a link to a website that has all the information? Thanks

Friday, January 04 2008 @ 08:11 PM CST

Quote by: davisamerica
ummm can even use your keyboard as a midi in gb..lol

HA!!

I just opened GB for the first time, and saw that!

Yep, I'm a snob...........
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Friday, January 04 2008 @ 09:19 PM CST

Quote by: tl9015
I heard however that pro tools, you need a factory, rack, or mbox to go with it or else the software won't work.

No, that's only if you want to record instruments into the computer. You'll need something like that (or cheaper) also when you have Logic. There is a ProTools Free (or ProTools LE; I've never used it) that probably works fine with only software instruments, but GB and Logic are pretty good if not better software.

In the big studios they use ProTools, but a lot of that is for historical reasons, or because it interfaces to really expensive hardware.

Logic is an excellent choice. It'll serve you for years.

Victor.

-- My CD.
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Friday, January 04 2008 @ 10:17 PM CST

Does anyone have a link to a website that has all the information? Thanks

Yes, and here it is for the second time:http://www.tweakheadz.com/
tl9015
Forum Newbie

Friday, January 04 2008 @ 10:24 PM CST

Thank you. So if I buy a midi keyboard like Axiom, I would be able to plug it in straight to my macbook pro? What are the benefits of having an interface like the 003 factory, rack, mbox etc.?

Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Saturday, January 05 2008 @ 12:28 AM CST

Yes, you can plug the Axiom into you Macbook pro.
What are the benefits of having an interface like the 003 factory, rack, mbox etc.?

LOL! You will make Digidesign a lot richer! You are just a student, so stop focusing on buying gear and start making music! All the gear you can buy will not make you a better music producer. Just do it.