Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
DeathArrow
Forum Full Member

Re:HELP NEEDED ON LOGIC!!!
Monday, October 20 2008 @ 06:55 AM CDT

ok first of all thanks again for your quick help
but i don't export my files in mp3 for mastering. i already bounce them in aiff. the problem is how i have to set the levels on output 1-2 to get the volume of -13dB. i will try it again today with stereo mastering and if it overdrives again i will tell you.
thankful, luke

PentaRay
Forum Junior

Re:HELP NEEDED ON LOGIC!!!
Wednesday, October 22 2008 @ 08:55 AM CDT

Hey DeathArrow,

I would say there's a lot of solutions to your volume problem, none of them requiring any mastering processors or file conversions. Otherwise I must have misunderstood your question (which I sometimes do, according to my wife;-)).

1. If you want your mix to be at -13 then you push back the faders of all of your tracks until the mix reads -13 at the output. Of course if you don't do this carefully the balance between the tracks will change.

2. If you don't want to touch the track faders, push back the fader of the 1-2 output until the signal reads -13

3. Finally, if you won't touch any fader whatsoever: mix down to AIFF, find the mixdown file in the audio window, open it with sample editor (command 0) and change gain.

Maybe your problem is not so much as to keep the signal under -13 but to keep it as close as possible to -13 throughout the song. In other words, keeping the signal at one level all the way. That's where your compressors and other mastering tools come in. And it depends on your type of music how successful this is going to be.

Just one more thing: maybe you use many effects on seperate tracks. Some of them can cause huge changes in volume, so check these out before anything else.

Hope this is useful.