Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
SunkJunk
Forum Newbie

Microphones with logic
Wednesday, August 30 2006 @ 02:30 AM CDT

Hello all...

I'm a newbie so massive apologies if this has been covered countless times before but this issue is driving me to insanity...!

I've written a few tunes in Logic Express and wanted to add vocals, but am having problems getting the software to use my external mic. The mic is registering in the main system preferences but when it comes to logic, nothing. I tried running the set up assistant again and it notices the mic - I add it as the main input but when the assistant finishes running it says it's unable to use the mic and reverts to using the built in audio (ie no mic).

I'm using a G4 PowerMac. It has two USB ports - I use the first for the keyboard and the second for the mic.

Can anyone help?

Re:Microphones with logic
Wednesday, August 30 2006 @ 04:47 AM CDT

I will assume you are using something along the lines of the Samson C01U as your mic. Have you tried the following within Logic: Logic Express/ Preferences/ Audio/ Drivers? It should give you the option of Built in audio or your device (being your USB mic).
SunkJunk
Forum Newbie

Wednesday, August 30 2006 @ 05:35 AM CDT

Hey - thanks for the reply.

It's a logitech desktop mic, just a cheap little thing. I tried changing the drivers but to no avail - could it be anything else?
dchapman
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 30 2006 @ 11:19 AM CDT

Now this may seem pretty basic, but you won't hear or see the levels for your mic until the channel is armed to record. Also make sure that for input for that channel you have Input 1 selected if that's where the mic is routed.

d.

Check out my Latest Instrumental: Waiting for the Other
SunkJunk
Forum Newbie

Wednesday, August 30 2006 @ 11:31 AM CDT

By 'armed' do you mean - did I click 'record' in an audio track?
I did and nothing's happening. I've tried both inputs, and tried both USB ports for the mic... still nothing.
TEXASFEEL
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 30 2006 @ 01:00 PM CDT

If you are only using one input channel to record. You have to select your input after you choose your mono option at the bottom... the two circles interlinked should be one. then you click on you input button... should show you your inputs. Select the appropriate one then click on your record button. You should see levels by then. You adjust for clipping... you can use your level meter in helpers click on one of your effects options/logic/helpers/level meter... something like that... there you can tweak your external input level coming into the computer.

* Post Removed *
Wednesday, August 30 2006 @ 01:17 PM CDT

* This message has been removed *
Bubowski
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 30 2006 @ 03:43 PM CDT

Logic does not like input-only audio devices. With Garageband you should have no probs with a USB mic, but Logic requires that a USB mic be set up as an aggregate device....here's a good link regarding setting up aggregate audio devices for Logic...

Article on Apple Support

Graham Metcalfe - Information Architecture and Art Direction
Please visit my portfolio site at www.ghmetcalfe.com.
AquilA
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 30 2006 @ 04:36 PM CDT

Quote by: Bubowski
Logic does not like input-only audio devices. With Garageband you should have no probs with a USB mic, but Logic requires that a USB mic be set up as an aggregate device....here's a good link regarding setting up aggregate audio devices for Logic...

Article on Apple Support

Thanks for the link.

TEXASFEEL
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, August 30 2006 @ 04:38 PM CDT

Quote by: filthy.
hey im considering getting a mic and recording vocals... all i have is gband and an imac. do i need any other software/hardware? i doubt i can just cram a mic in the mac and hit record on gb can i? i think the mic is a shure sm58

you can plug right in to your mac and record with garage band but the quality is not going to be that great. I have collaborated with Emily Rohm and she sang into her laptop built in mic and laid down a vocal track for me so yes it's possible and the results were pretty good... check your levels carefully. If your interested in the results listen to "Tomorrow" a song on my macjams site. Check out Daddio on iCompositions.com. He plays harmonica right into his built in eMac mic and also sings that way... really impressive blues man... one of my favorite Garage Band musicians.