Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Dynastol
Forum Newbie

eMac & electric Guitar
Friday, April 02 2004 @ 03:00 AM CST

Hey,

it has probably been written about already somewhere on this site but I'll ask again:
does anyone have experience with connecting an electric guitar to an eMac specifically? I brought my guitar over from Europe and don't have an amplifier at the moment. Which is the cheapest Pre-Amp that copes with the eMac connections?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Dynastol Mr. Green
jetking
Forum Newbie

Re:eMac & electric Guitar
Friday, April 02 2004 @ 10:39 AM CST

The cheapest route would be the Monster Instrument Adaptor (or another mono 1/4-inch phono to stereo 1/8-inch mini phono adaptor, Radio Shack, anyone?).

But as far as preamps go, I think the M-Audio MobilePre discussed at:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/accessories.html

is usually the cheapest. I'm using a somewhat more expensive Tascam US-122 with a 1GHz eMac with no problems. I've heard good things about all of the various units from different manufacturers, though.

Hope that helps,
Comrade JetKing

Hope that helps!
Comrade JetKing
bishop
Forum Newbie

Friday, April 02 2004 @ 11:19 AM CST

You can check the "How do I hook up a guitar?" forum post. There are a few ideas in there that others have shared with me. (I had a very similar question.) Everyone here has been very helpful. Hope this helps you.
Dynastol
Forum Newbie

Friday, April 02 2004 @ 11:49 AM CST

Hey,
I read the "How do I hook up a guitar?" forum post but was worried about how that applied to the eMac as it doesn't have an audio-in. I tried Radioshack's 1/4-inch phono to stereo 1/8-inch mini phono adaptor with the iMic but that didn't work. And at a Garageband presentation at a Mac store I was told that the Monster Instrument Adaptor wasn't much use because I needed a pre-amp to boost the signal up to line-level. I'll check out the M-Audio MobilePre.

Thanks for the help!

Dynastol
jetking
Forum Newbie

Friday, April 02 2004 @ 01:26 PM CST

What "run" of eMac do you have? That is, my eMac (1 Ghz, most recent "run") does have an audio in. I didn't know that other models didn't feature one. Weird. But then Apple does that alot - my Pismo has audio in while some (though not all?) later PowerBooks don't.

In any case, one of the USB/Audio bridges is definitely your best bet if you want to do more than basic stuff anyway, since they make it possible to run a quality mic in as well.

Have fun,
Comrade JetKing
penguinsocks
Forum Full Member

Saturday, April 03 2004 @ 01:58 AM CST

yeah def go for the mobile-pre. it's significantly cheaper than the tascam but if you're planning on doing midi the tascam would be good. i know the tascam works though you need to update the drivers. damn useless manual...

"pengy" :: thirteen cent pinball

Dynastol
Forum Newbie

Saturday, April 03 2004 @ 02:57 AM CST

I've ordered the Tascam today, thought I'd invest those $50 more. We'll see how that goes...
Thanks so much, you guys!