Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Forum Newbie

A few questions
Thursday, April 15 2004 @ 12:28 PM CDT

I am new to GarageBand (just a few songs so far), and I am trying to "stretch my wings" and figure out how to use some of the cool things I've been hearing about. I have a couple of questions about GB: First, what is the easiest way to edit a sound clip or loop? I've played around with the keyboard a little, but that's like a shot in the dark for a drum track, and I'm sure there must be some easier way to do it... Apple doesn't seem to have a good tutorial anywhere... Also, is there a way to do a crescendo cymbal roll? When I tried by taking a small clip of a cymbal sound and looping it, it sounded really bad. Thanks for your time and for helping out a newbie.
TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Re:A few questions
Thursday, April 15 2004 @ 12:39 PM CDT

For GB effects, check out:
http://www.macjams.com/article.php?story=20040329063101758

For editing samples, check out:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/plugins.php
Otherwise, you can shorten a loop from both ends and isolate a portion you might want. And you transpose an entire sample. But that's about all you can do with GB.

If you want to spend money on editors, I use Peak and Live 3 for my stuff.

There probably is no way of making a realistic cymbal roll without an authentic sample of one. I have several samples that I've procured over the years. Maybe I can send you one? Can you FTP? Let me know exactly the sound you are looking for.

Forum Newbie

Re:A few questions
Sunday, April 25 2004 @ 12:15 AM CDT

Thanks for the help, TM. Sorry it's taken so long to reply (been busy with the new stuff I'm learning in GB... Soon I will be able to make a song that sounds OK... maybe...). Thanks for the offer of the sound file, but I can record my own. Just wasn't sure if GB would do it for me... Thanks again.