Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
hshukla76
Forum Newbie

Question regarding Garageband
Monday, May 17 2004 @ 01:51 PM CDT

Hi I have a question regarding garageband, I have a small band, 2 guitarists, drumer, horns, vocal, and occaisionally some bass. I want to be able to recording our sessions when we practive. Would garageband allow me to record all these different parts live? can I go straight from a mixer in to a Mac. I dont really want to you use pre-programmed drums. I would really like to record our drummer live (he would be a little upset if he got replaced by a mac) Garageband would be the main reason for me getting a mac. so if the software cant do what I need I dont want to spend all the money.
fosod
Forum Full Member

Re:Question regarding Garageband
Monday, May 17 2004 @ 02:47 PM CDT

I haven't tried, but I'm 99.9% positive that you will be able to play with your band live into the mixer into the mac... no problem. The problem, I think, is that you can not separate the individual instruments by software track SIMULTANEOUSLY. In other words, you can mix all instruments into one track at one time, or into separate tracks at separate times. For example, track one has the whole band recorded at 10 o'clock, OR track 1 records the sax at 10:00, track 2 records the drums at 10:15, track 3 records the singer at 10:30, etc. Does that make sense? And when I refer to time, I mean REAL time, not the counter in the software interface.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm curious.

--
Fosod
hshukla76
Forum Newbie

Tuesday, May 18 2004 @ 12:47 PM CDT

Hey Fosod,

Thanks for the quick response. I am starting to imagine the possibilities of garageband. IT looks really cool, one more question, has anyone actually used it for live drums? How do they sound? Thanks.

revelation
Forum Newbie

Tuesday, May 18 2004 @ 04:53 PM CDT

yes, i have used garageband for recording live drums. It all depends on they way they are mic'd, and they way they are mixed before being input into the mac. You really need a good set of drum mics, and you need to mix them using a real mixer before putting it into the mac. Garageband cant record multiple tracks simultaneously so each one would have to be done individually, which wouldnt work too well for drums.
Just a suggestion for recording a live band that I have used in the past -
First, record the entire band on track one.
Then, take one instrument, say the guitar, and play back track one while recording the guitar onto track 2...playing the same thing as in the original recording.
Do the same with all of the instruments, muting every track but track 1, then when you are done, you can delete track 1 and have each instrument on a separate track
I know its a pain but its the only way ive really found to get around the problem.