Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
ledebutant
Forum Full Member

Studio Remodel Ideas Please!
Friday, December 21 2007 @ 03:17 PM CST

Hi Guys,

A few weeks ago, I went on vacation to sunny California and had a lovely time, but while I was gone, rainy Washington was having lots of fun flooding my basement, which just happens to be my studio space (WAH!!!). By the time we came back from the trip, a week later, mold and mildew had set in, meaning that pretty much everything had to be ripped out, carpet, drywall, everything. Thankfully, my electronics, computer and guitars weren't damaged.

It has been exhausting trying to get the room stripped, but it's finally there and the GOOD news is that I have the opportunity now to make a real studio space for myself, rather than just being plopped at one end of the rec-room. My brother is doing the contracting and is a very flexible guy, so I have carte blanche as far as throwing out ideas and I thought I'd come here and ask you guys to throw some at me as far as what you think might be some good things for me to think about when I'm building this space.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm primarily a singer, but I do play some keyboards and guitar (though don't often post that stuff here) and I love to produce, so that's how I'd be using the space.

downstairspano1

downstairsclose

Here's two shots of the space. The close-up is around the corner from the rest of the room and used to mostly be a closet. We've ripped that out to give me my own alcove, but I "own" all the space out past the windows that are visible in the first photo. The door on the left wall is going to be moved and it will be a solid wall. The little opening under the stairs is the crawl space entrance, so we're going to have to figure out a way to hide that, but still leave it useable. At this point, I plan to drywall and plaster around the shape to the right of the stairs (which is the bottom of my upstairs hall closet) and leave it open underneath (possibly putting in built-in bookshelves) while drywalling diagonally with the shape of the stairs.

There's a space to the right of the bottom of my upstairs hall closet that's wide enough to put in cubby-hole shelves, or something like that. I'm moving away from CD's, so I probably won't want to go that route with that space, but I knit, so have been thinking about keeping my yarn there. It's colorful and looks interesting.

Overall, the distance from the end of the wall with the door to the end of back wall is about 10 feet, but I have about 15 feet along the other wall. I'll probably mostly want to use about a 10X10 piece of it, just so I'm out of the rec room portion. I want my own space for a change.

So, ideas. My brother has already suggested lots of outlets. What else? I was thinking that the area under the stairs might be a good spot to set up the mic. What do you think? What should I do to that space if that's the case?

Thanks in advance for your brainpower guys! I'll post photos as we go along and when it's finished.

ledebutant
Forum Full Member

Re:Studio Remodel Ideas Please!
Friday, December 21 2007 @ 03:23 PM CST

I should add that the floor will be carpeted (already have the new carpet) and that neither photo is really representing accurately the dimensions of the space. It's reasonably sized.
Doadars Uncle
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2007 @ 03:24 PM CST

ledebutant
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2007 @ 03:33 PM CST

Thanks, Doug! That reminds me of something else really important and kind of weird that I should have mentioned. I live directly under the flight path for the Sea-Tac airport and the Port of Seattle was required to soundproof all of the houses in my area, so you could hear a pin drop once you're in here. All of my window are quadrupled-paned and you can't even get into the attic because there's so much insulation, so, unlike most home studios, the soundproofing issues are mostly taken care of for me, already.

You posting that link made realize what total dork I am for not googling "building your own home studio." So THANK YOU!

Friday, December 21 2007 @ 03:37 PM CST

It sucks to have to go through all the work after a flood, but what an opportunity you've got!

One question(or consideration) - would people be using those stairs while you are recording? I'm not sure how much sound proofing would block out the "thump, thump, thump" of someone walking up/down while you are recording vocals.

I know it'll be a while before it's done, but I hope you'll share some pics when it is.
ledebutant
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2007 @ 03:51 PM CST

Quote by: mikey_d

One question(or consideration) - would people be using those stairs while you are recording? I'm not sure how much sound proofing would block out the "thump, thump, thump" of someone walking up/down while you are recording vocals.

That's a very good point, Mike. I'm, luckily, at home alone when I record, since my daughter's at school during the day and my husband's at work. I get that opportunity often enough that I can usually wait until no one else is around to do my singing.

I will definitely post lots of photos. Now that I've gotten over the shock of all this and have accepted that I have to kiss the kitchen remodel I had planned goodbye for a while, I'm looking forward to having a wonderful space that's all mine. It's good in the long run. Smile
michael2
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2007 @ 03:54 PM CST

we flooded too a couple of years ago. this is going to be really cool when you're done. maybe a little isolation booth would be cool (for vocals and guitars). i'm about to redo my downstairs studio, I'll post pics when I'm done. congrats.
ledebutant
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2007 @ 05:11 PM CST

Hmm...okay, I've been doing some reading and now I'm wondering if maybe I should rethink this whole microphone in the corner concept. In the past, I've always dragged the mic out into the middle of the room (which is about 15' X 18' and carpeted with 10' (I think) ceilings, and I think I actually got a decent vocal recording sound. Would it be better for me to think of continuing to record well inside the larger room rather than in the corner?

Also, might it be a good idea to consider putting down wood floors somewhere in the recording space?
Ejh
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2007 @ 05:47 PM CST

Quote by: ledebutant
Hmm...okay, I've been doing some reading and now I'm wondering if maybe I should rethink this whole microphone in the corner concept. In the past, I've always dragged the mic out into the middle of the room (which is about 15' X 18' and carpeted with 10' (I think) ceilings, and I think I actually got a decent vocal recording sound. Would it be better for me to think of continuing to record well inside the larger room rather than in the corner?

Also, might it be a good idea to consider putting down wood floors somewhere in the recording space?

Lisa, I'm no architect, but many studios, and home studios in particular, adopt a "live end/dead end" format, with one end deadened to echoes and reflections, (i.e, carpeted, and with sound treatments or tapestries or drapes on the walls) and the other end wood floored and sometimes wood paneling... Some folks also mount curtains on a typical curtain draw against one wall, so you can draw the curtains or not to get a live or dead sound.

I seem to recall also that it's a good thing to not have the room be a typical rectangle, but to have some irregularities that break up standing waves....

I'd be a-googling "recording studio design" about now...or, if it was me, I'd call my sales guy, Jeff Barnett at Sweetwater...Those guys have a lot of experienced recording engineers on staff, and they're very helpful...Knowing them, they probably also have some sort of "guide" available...

Craig Anderton used to have a decent book or two out on home studio design...

I'm excited for you as regards the opportunity...

Ed

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn

Ejh
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 21 2007 @ 05:50 PM CST

Oh, hey, even better--

check this out....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AcousDesign/

Mitch Gallagher used to be Editor of EQ magazine, and now works for Sweetwater....

Ed

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn