Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
8piscean8
Forum Full Member

Music Books
Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 03:26 PM CST

Hello all,

Has anybody bought any books from Rikky Rooksby. He is the author of The Songwriting Sourcebook: How to Turn Chords Into Great Songs, How to Write Songs on Guitar: A Guitar-Playing and Songwriting Course, Arranging Songs: How to Put the Parts Together, Inside Classic Rock Tracks: Songwriting and Recording Secrets of 100+ Great Song, and some other books.

He seems to get good reviews but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I am an average guitar player so I am looking for books that deal more with actual songwriting process.

Thanks for any advice,

Adam

Please check out my really old song The End to wash away your fears today!
Ejh
Forum Full Member

Re:Music Books
Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 06:47 PM CST

Hey Mr. 8,

I got one out of the library... and I can't for the life of me remember which one...

But at the time I read it I was impressed. I remember that I learned some stuff that I didn't know, and I recommended it to some of the kids I work with as a good way to start out trying to write songs...

I remember that it was nice and orderly, simple but not too simple. I'll see if I can remember which one...

Ed

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn
Ejh
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 06:52 PM CST

Okay. I went on Amazon and looked at the pictures. Sophisticated, no?

It was How To Write Songs On The Guitar. It was good. Well worth the fourteen bucks.

Mind you, there's no book out there that will get you out of having to just sit down and write a bunch of bad songs on the way to the better and better ones... But this was a good one...

Ed

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn

8piscean8
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 26 2007 @ 08:45 PM CST

Thanks Ed. I've wrote plenty of bad songs but any tips I can get on writing better ones would be great. Thank you.

Please check out my really old song The End to wash away your fears today!