Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
MarkHolbrook
Forum Full Member

Buckethead
Sunday, October 19 2008 @ 09:48 AM CDT

Ok I'm not much into Metal and have not spent a ton of time listening to Guns and Roses and other hard rock bands except what has come over the radio at times.

I just learned of the Buckethead guy. Sorry to be so naive but as a guitar player trying to better myself I took a look on youtube for lead guitar players and there are a bunch.

Some seem to go for pure raw speed while others seem to stick with more soulful work. I saw buckethead and thought... "what a dork..." but then I watched a few videos of this guy play and was floored...

Not all of it is "my kind of music" but I had to totally appreciate the precision which which he executed the guitar work in the songs I saw. Pretty amazing! I can't get over the KFC head gear though...

What was the story behind all that? By the way he plays guitar I have to guess he was a shut in with nothing to do all day but experiment on guitar! Perhaps the first time he was asked to play in a band the shyness came in and hence the mask and bucket? I have no clue. Enlighten me if you will.

I think he has a deformed hand too... I mean his left pinky finger seems like it is about 12 inches long at times as he spans huge fret distances with it.

Wherever you go, there you are!
springclock
Forum Full Member

Re:Buckethead
Sunday, October 19 2008 @ 10:42 AM CDT

The mighty bucket is terrifying!

He has been around for years....the first time I heard him was in 1994 on a record by a group called Praxis..... the record also had Bernie Worrell, Bootsy Collins, Brain and I believe John Zorn.....unless I am mistaken.....

Ozzy a few years back asked him to join his band..... but if he joined Ozzy said he had to lose the bucket.....to which Buckethead replied "No Thanks.".... Some might call that dumb.... I actually think that it is smart.... him turning Ozzy down solidified his legend..... kind of like how Stevie Ray Vaughn ditched out on the gig with David Bowie thus making SRV a legend.....cause everyone wants to know about this guy that turned Bowie down.... same for Buckethead

I am not a big fan of "shredder" guitarists....I find that although it is technically impressive it really doesn't say anything in a musical sense..... but Buckethead is one of the few I can dig into..... his approach is more alien than guitar hero....

My kid Dylan..... a.k.a. floppysurprise here at MJ, saw the Col. Claypools Bucket of Bernie Brains show in Chicago a few years back and said it was scary as all hell to watch those guys play together....

Enjoy the KFC....

springclockwonder.com
kingbee
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 19 2008 @ 10:55 AM CDT

I always wonder about when he's on tour and checking into a hotel.
Do they call him 'Mr' Buckethead?.
And what does his passport photo look like?
chronologic
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 19 2008 @ 10:58 AM CDT

Buckethead has a lot of albums that are solo projects. They span a bunch of genre's and the content is largely experimental. His playing is intense and capable. Intense doesn't mean "always fast". I wouldn't call him the most expressive guitarist ever but he does some interesting things.

The first time I saw buckethead was at a local outdoor concert with several artists attending. We were waiting for Primus to come out on stage.

[I have to take 1 second to complain that the guy in front of me was complaining that the Beatles were on the stage radio... I thought to myself "Primus wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the beatles, get a clue"... ok got that off my chest]

If you know what Primus is then you know that it's off-the-wall music that largely defies categorization (but is still quite popular). Most people say it's a sort of Alternative Rock, from the days when "alternative" meant "something different". So the point is Primus is always "something special". Anyway, Les is a classically trained bassist with Jazz experience but a kid's personality, and he basically just messes around and does not apologize for it. Primus is always a treat to see. When they came out on stage, Les and Larry were looking pretty normal (which is to say weird). They were very active on the stage, putting on a good show with motion and such. In the back Brain was playing the drums and was just like most drummers I guess. I'm trying to set the stage for you.

So... after a minute this guy starts showing up on stage. He is standing in a red flyer style kid's wagon. I am not sure what was pulling him. Something was pulling the wagon slowly around the stage in kind of a large circle. Right around the front from one side to the other. And the guy standing in the wagon had a KFC bucket on his head. But his guitar... oh he was playing. Not just fast or wild (though yes it was those things). I was pretty much entering the "drop jaw" stage at this point, as were most of the people around me. My nephew was there with me and he said "hey, that's buckethead!". I was like "who is buckethead?". He didn't have much to say except that he was a nutso guitarist with a KFC bucket on his head that plays with Primus sometimes. What a weird experience. They towed his wagon the rest of the arc, the instrumental was over, and I don't think buckethead came back. But he was good!

Later he did team up with Axl Rose for some work on the latest gunsnroses album, that is not out even though it has been "nearly ready" for a couple of years. Apparently they didn't get along or he had other stuff to do or something, because he isn't in the band anymore. I have heard that some of his material may still be on the album whenever it comes out.

So in summary... I don't know if the bucket is a gimmick or not. Given that he can play like that you wouldn't think he'd need a gimmick. But maybe he still needs something to make him stand out from all the other amazing blazing guitarists out there. I guess I can't begrudge him that. Creative actually, and it seems to have worked.

Totally independent new music: http://www.pollyputthekettleon.com
bud
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 19 2008 @ 09:18 PM CDT

Pretty nice piece of playing and enjoyable to watch his technique. The less shredding Buckethead.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.
Pete_NB
Forum Full Member

Monday, October 20 2008 @ 07:14 AM CDT

Quote by: bud
Pretty nice piece of playing and enjoyable to watch his technique. The less shredding Buckethead.

What is that effect he is using around the 3:25 mark?
springclock
Forum Full Member

Monday, October 20 2008 @ 08:24 AM CDT

Quote by: Pete_NB

What is that effect he is using around the 3:25 mark?

most likely it's a Digitech Whammy Pedal..... same thing Tom Morello from RATM uses..... as well as the blokes from Tool....

springclockwonder.com

Monkaton
Forum Full Member

Monday, October 20 2008 @ 08:34 AM CDT

Good song.

Search, listen and buy "The Return of the Well-Known Trout" on iTunes, and and "The State of the Onion" on iTunes, Amazon mp3, CD Baby, Digstation and many more. You'll be Glad You Did!!!