Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Les_Kloo
Forum Full Member

Joni
Thursday, April 23 2015 @ 12:16 PM CDT

Posting this under "Inspirations." I can't really say that Joni Mitchell inspires me musically. She is unique and unattainable. I guess she inspires me to listen to better music, and to notice when lyrics combine with music to make something greater than the sum of its parts.

Here is a 1994 version of Hejira, my favorite by her, this one without the backing band, sitting on a couch.

Probably you don't need to have someone post a video to remind you that she exists. But, you know, it's a Joni Mitchell kinda day here in the Kloo household.

My music is much better than it sounds.
hackneybloke
Forum Full Member

Re:Joni
Thursday, April 23 2015 @ 01:38 PM CDT

Quote by: Les_Kloo
Posting this under "Inspirations." I can't really say that Joni Mitchell inspires me musically. She is unique and unattainable. I guess she inspires me to listen to better music, and to notice when lyrics combine with music to make something greater than the sum of its parts.

Here is a 1994 version of Hejira, my favorite by her, this one without the backing band, sitting on a couch.

Probably you don't need to have someone post a video to remind you that she exists. But, you know, it's a Joni Mitchell kinda day here in the Kloo household.

Agreed. Every day is a joni day in this house.
PeterB7858
Forum Full Member

Thursday, April 23 2015 @ 03:12 PM CDT

Joni is a seminal artist for me, too, Les.

Hejira. Such a great song. And great album.

Her lyrics are just so poetic and inspired.

Thanks for sharing this video. Made my day.

Peter.

J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Thursday, April 23 2015 @ 04:49 PM CDT

Truly a brilliant singer/songwriter. Thanks for posting this wonderfully captured live performance. Cool

I haven't seen any news about her since she was found unconscious and hospitalized at the beginning of the month, but reports have surfaced theorizing the episode was a recurrence of her ongoing bout with the *Mystery* condition, Morgellons, which medical science has declared nonexistent.

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Thursday, April 23 2015 @ 06:38 PM CDT

How about the real dish, soap lovers... Here ya go!
Joni Mitchell spent some time in the hospital. Recently the sixty year tobacco habit has flowered into advanced COPD.
Interesting that Mitchell denounces political feminism and most concerns of left wing in the western hemisphere in general....
How do we know all is not well? David Crosby reports he hangs up when Joni calls to talk. What class that guy.

Daug
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Friday, April 24 2015 @ 12:42 AM CDT

Quote by: Daugrin
Joni Mitchell spent some time in the hospital. Recently the sixty year tobacco habit has flowered into advanced COPD.
Interesting that Mitchell denounces political feminism and most concerns of left wing in the western hemisphere in general....
How do we know all is not well? David Crosby reports he hangs up when Joni calls to talk. What class that guy.

Daug

Yes, there's reasonable *speculation* about COPD, as well, but I have yet to see any official diagnosis or statement regarding her condition.

Frankly, I don't care what her political beliefs and opinions are — or what David Crosby's are, for that matter. We all have them... being a celebrity artist doesn't make theirs more valid.

I appreciate artists like Joni Mitchell and David Crosby for the songs and music they've created. I could care less about their personal lives, failings or beliefs. No one group or philosophy has a patent on intelligence — or the Truth. If one had... it would have surfaced by now. The evidence has certainly been... underwhelming. Wink

say
Forum Full Member

Friday, April 24 2015 @ 03:59 AM CDT

Seeing this JM thread made me nostalgic
It's been years since I've been here & I'm glad this place still exists, was worried for a bit that it would be gone. Have heard some of the best music in my life here,there used to be 100 people online, i even remember there being 200 at some point !

Many great musicians here, thankyou for the music & some interesting threads

http://www.macjams.com/song/51146
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Friday, April 24 2015 @ 05:54 AM CDT

Quote by: J.A.Stewart

Daug

Yes, there's reasonable *speculation* about COPD, as well, but I have yet to see any official diagnosis or statement regarding her condition.

Frankly, I don't care what her political beliefs and opinions are — or what David Crosby's are, for that matter. We all have them... being a celebrity artist doesn't make theirs more valid.

I appreciate artists like Joni Mitchell and David Crosby for the songs and music they've created. I could care less about their personal lives, failings or beliefs. No one group or philosophy has a patent on intelligence — or the Truth. If one had... it would have surfaced by now. The evidence has certainly been... underwhelming. Wink

Ah, My friend Stewart, the resident political officer. Sir you have gotten to the heart of the matter, by accident as usual. Joni M demonstrates the problem artists have with political correctness. Once the darling of the left wing Ms. JM finds herself marginalized. Not acceptable to the audience at the View. History repugnant to the good girls on the right. Yet, with Carol King an iconic musician from the formative conscensious building era... How will Joni be celebrated once she surrenders her life to old age and COPD? Those of us moved by her work will hold her up as our champion, while others will hold their nose and hang up. That my friend is the truth, real and available daily... Don't need a MJ sock monkee to message the news for us...

Daug
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Friday, April 24 2015 @ 09:05 AM CDT

Daug

Ah, My friend Stewart, the resident political officer. Sir you have gotten to the heart of the matter, by accident as usual. Joni M demonstrates the problem artists have with political correctness. Once the darling of the left wing Ms. JM finds herself marginalized. Not acceptable to the audience at the View. History repugnant to the good girls on the right. Yet, with Carol King an iconic musician from the formative conscensious building era... How will Joni be celebrated once she surrenders her life to old age and COPD? Those of us moved by her work will hold her up as our champion, while others will hold their nose and hang up. That my friend is the truth, real and available daily... Don't need a MJ sock monkee to message the news for us...

Daug

Daug, I clearly stated I believe Joni to be a brilliant singer/songwriter. I'm a long-time fan of her work... performed a number of her songs when I was a working musician. I didn't bring politics into the conversation — you DID.

I cited reports of her possible health problems as speculation, you reported COPD as truth/fact. What are your sources? Are you privy to inside information?

I suspect Joni could care less about what *The View,* or anyone else for that matter, thinks of her... including me OR you.

Are you really incapable of being anything other than an arrogant and pretentious bore? Can you not resist responding to anyone else's posts without some condescending *dig*? — "resident political officer"? "by accident as usual"? "MJ sock monkee"? — Really? Pfft.

Your often abstract and disjointed ramblings make it seem as if English may be your second language. Perhaps we all need a Magic Decoder Ring to divine the wisdom from your grand proclamations.

You clearly don't need gravity to hold you down... you're so full of yourself that it's surprising you haven't moved the Earth out of it's natural orbit. You are certainly entitled to your opinions, as is everyone else. But that in no way gives you license to belittle or abuse others.

Once again I remind you, to please... practice civility. Wink

magnatone
Forum Full Member

Friday, April 24 2015 @ 10:59 AM CDT

Daug

Daug

An MJ sock monkey messaging the news for us? You mean like exactly what you're doing here James? Maybe step away from "The View" long enough to check your own socks.

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"