Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Google Silences Prager U
Saturday, March 17 2018 @ 09:48 PM CDT

Censorship of the internet is real, independent voices are silenced daily. Do you dare support the rights of others who may disagree with the way you, or the mainstream media, view the world?
This vid is dated Feb 8 2018, and still exists online. How? Why?
Try Prager U before they are further restricted and or removed from the internet.
Videos the "the wrong side of history", "history of relativism in art", "history of the Democrat party," or the vid from the software engineer who explains why he was fired by Google, might prove interesting.
In answer to the Prager U lawsuit against Youtube Google asserts Prager vids are "harmful to young people."
Imagine...

Daug
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Re:Google Silences Prager U
Sunday, March 18 2018 @ 12:04 AM CDT

No. Just no.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180309/15270839397/youtube-shows-dennis-pragers-claim-discrimination-against-conservatives-is-laughable.shtml

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/03/inside-right-wing-youtube-turning-millennials-conservative-prageru-video-dennis-prager/

If only there were someone to incessantly and incoherently rail against "culture war propaganda," produced by screenwriters and paid for by corporations, such as this...

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 18 2018 @ 02:24 AM CDT

Quote by: chikoppi
No. Just no.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180309/15270839397/youtube-shows-dennis-pragers-claim-discrimination-against-conservatives-is-laughable.shtml

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/03/inside-right-wing-youtube-turning-millennials-conservative-prageru-video-dennis-prager/

If only there were someone to incessantly and incoherently rail against "culture war propaganda," produced by screenwriters and paid for by corporations, such as this...

Yes is the answer. You know that for sure.
Luckily Prager vids about propaganda and corporate control of American are still available. Dangerous for young people as those notions might be...
Thank you for the links. Although neither was helpful in resolving the censorship issue above. That a tech blog chooses to ridicule the question of internet censorship is not surprising. The Mother Jones article portraying the internet dominated by conservatives was better written than the blog post but really, describing youtube as a bastion of conservatives is laughable. Mothers' disinterest in ensuring the free exchange of ideas on the internet again is not surprising.
The snark about someone railing didn't really help anyone understand the issue at hand. But then what you really are about is attacking the messenger threatening your safe space. How offended you must be, hate on my friend!
Prager's lawsuit is a first legal battle with Google over censorship. None of the web sites that were restricted, demonetized or removed from the internet during the online purge asked for legal redress. Prager has done so.
Not protecting other people's free speech rights is exactly how you will loose your own. If you find that incoherent my friend that's okay. Many other things to concern yourself with...
You might attempt to create music to post here? In reality you really can only mock music my friend...you only come to MJ to hate; link things you read which support the world view programed into your head and disparage people who think in exclusion to the design of your masters.

Daug
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 18 2018 @ 07:51 AM CDT

heal thyself

Quote by: Daugrin
you only come to MJ to hate; link things you read which support the world view programed into your head and disparage people who think in exclusion to the design of your masters.

Daug

heal thyself

My friend why do you insist on frequenting MJs to spout the party line?
Daug

heal thyself

The meme for the certain sign of mental illness is to continue doing the same behavior over and over and expecting different results at the completion of a cycle, no?
Daug

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 18 2018 @ 11:49 AM CDT

The snark about someone railing didn't really help anyone understand the issue at hand. But then what you really are about is attacking the messenger threatening your safe space. How offended you must be, hate on my friend!

Did you just intimate that I'm a "snowflake?" Do you not even see the self-parody you are creating?

In your rush to dismiss any reply that contradicts the sanctity of your own narrative, here's what you may have missed...

"Restricted mode" is an OPTIONAL filter set by the user. It filters results that include controversial or sensitive subject matter for users who don't want to see it (or who don't want their kids to see it). The filter omits material based on the subject matter, not the viewpoint. It is agnostic to whether the particular media is left, right, center, "mainstream," or "alt-." Again, it is an elective setting controlled by the user.

Not censorship.

Next, "de-monetization." YouTube is an advertising platform, not a public utility. Advertisers have indicated to YouTube that they do not want their brand(s) to be associated with inflammatory content. When a video is "de-monetized" that means YouTube determines ads will no longer be placed on it and it will not earn advertising revenue. The video can still be watched.

Not censorship.

YouTube/Google has garnered plenty of ire from users who feel the process/algorithm that flags restricted or demonetized content is too severe and/or arbitrary. Sometimes a rating gets reversed after appeal. This bothers content creators because the ad revenue lost during the appeal process can't be replaced.

Still, not censorship.

Prager's lawsuit is a first legal battle with Google over censorship. None of the web sites that were restricted, demonetized or removed from the internet during the online purge asked for legal redress. Prager has done so.
Not protecting other people's free speech rights is exactly how you will loose your own. If you find that incoherent my friend that's okay. Many other things to concern yourself with...

YouTube is a business. No one has a "right" to post there. When you post to YouTube you are subject to their user agreement. The most any of this is about is lost advertising revenue resulting from arbitrary enforcement of the user agreement terms.

Not censorship.

Prageru is a corporate-funded propaganda outlet trying to manufacture outrage (and views) with a PR stunt. This is exactly the sort of media manipulation that you keep telling us you're too clever to be fooled by.

You might attempt to create music to post here? In reality you really can only mock music my friend...you only come to MJ to hate; link things you read which support the world view programed into your head and disparage people who think in exclusion to the design of your masters.

You might drop the self-serving pantomime. We're all adults here. No one buys into the shtick that you're an enlightened unicorn bringing secret wisdom from the mountain top. It gets a little tiresome for the rest of us to constantly hear about how "woke" you think you are, so maybe take your own advice and post the next dystopian prophecy to Reddit instead. I used to enjoy your posts on music history. More of that please.

Also, people who disagree with you aren't "haters" nor are they "brainwashed." That refrain is childish.

I'd love to post more music here. But first I have to finish perfecting my mind control beam so "they" can control your choice of breakfast cereal. Mwuh-ha-ha!

Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 18 2018 @ 02:27 PM CDT

Did you just intimate that I'm a "snowflake?" Do you not even see the self-parody you are creating?

In your rush to dismiss any reply that contradicts the sanctity of your own narrative, here's what you may have missed.

"Restricted mode" is an OPTIONAL filter set by the user. It filters results that include controversial or sensitive subject matter for users who don't want to see it (or who don't want their kids to see it). The filter omits material based on the subject matter, not the viewpoint. It is agnostic to whether the particular media is left, right, center, "mainstream," or "alt-." Again, it is an elective setting controlled by the user.

Not censorship.

Next, "de-monetization." YouTube is an advertising platform, not a public utility. Advertisers have indicated to YouTube that they do not want their brand(s) to be associated with inflammatory content. When a video is "de-monetized" that means YouTube determines ads will no longer be placed on it and it will not earn advertising revenue. The video can still be watched.

Not censorship.

YouTube/Google has garnered plenty of ire from users who feel the process/algorithm that flags restricted or demonetized content is too severe and/or arbitrary. Sometimes a rating gets reversed after appeal. This bothers content creators because the ad revenue lost during the appeal process can't be replaced.

Still, not censorship.

YouTube is a business. No one has a "right" to post there. When you post to YouTube you are subject to their user agreement. The most any of this is about is lost advertising revenue resulting from arbitrary enforcement of the user agreement terms.

Not censorship.

Prageru is a corporate-funded propaganda outlet trying to manufacture outrage (and views) with a PR stunt. This is exactly the sort of media manipulation that you keep telling us you're too clever to be fooled by.

You might drop the self-serving pantomime. We're all adults here. No one buys into the shtick that you're an enlightened unicorn bringing secret wisdom from the mountain top. It gets a little tiresome for the rest of us to constantly hear about how "woke" you think you are, so maybe take your own advice and post the next dystopian prophecy to Reddit instead. I used to enjoy your posts on music history. More of that please.

Also, people who disagree with you aren't "haters" nor are they "brainwashed." That refrain is childish.

I'd love to post more music here. But first I have to finish perfecting my mind control beam so "they" can control your choice of breakfast cereal. Mwuh-ha-ha!

I am aware of the points as shared above my friend. I didn't miss anything you find important there. The issues of restriction, demonetization and expulsion are all aspects of the censorship issue. Which is the topic of the forum post. Arguing about the rights of the ownership of the platform is a distraction, if Prager prevails further litigation will certainly follow.
This first step into litigation of taste on the internet, if you will allow, is vitally important to first amendment rights which I would argue are under attack.
I took an oath to protect the constitution. I would encourage you to re-examine your commitment to the free speech of others.
Psychographics is already science, it's exploitation was reportedly essential to the Brexit and Trump election victory, the mind control fantasy you lampoon is reality, btw your choice of breakfast cereal is meaningless to everyone but you. What is meaningful is that you continue to consume along a pattern designated by your masters.
Google is the most powerful entity on the planet. Allowing Google to determine what is tasteful and or appropriate for the marketplace of ideas is obscene. Why would anyone choose to allow technocrats to dictate to a free society matters of taste and appropriateness? Your wasting time insulting me. Free speech is where our focus should be my friend.
You don't post music because you can't create any... have never created music in your life, as evidenced by your output. All your capable of is mockery as evidenced above... troll, snowflake, provocateur, social justice warrior, internet brigand or sad overweight little middle class white boy trying to have some fun, I don't care. Amuse yourself my friend, label yourself and others as you please. I don't have time.

Daug
magnatone
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 18 2018 @ 03:29 PM CDT

All your capable of is mockery as evidenced above... troll, snowflake, provocateur, social justice warrior, internet brigand or sad overweight little middle class white boy trying to have some fun, I don't care. Amuse yourself my friend, label yourself and others as you please. I don't have time.

Daug

The best way I know to reduce hate in the world James, is to stop being hateful. Take a breath and give it a try - you'll be happier and live longer ...

my most recent song: "First Light (solo piano)"
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 18 2018 @ 06:14 PM CDT

I am aware of the points as shared above my friend. I didn't miss anything you find important there. The issues of restriction, demonetization and expulsion are all aspects of the censorship issue. Which is the topic of the forum post. Arguing about the rights of the ownership of the platform is a distraction, if Prager prevails further litigation will certainly follow.

Prager can post anything that doesn't violate YouTube's terms of service. So can you. So can I. But none of us have a right to be paid for it or to force others to advertise on it.

YouTube has an agreement with advertisers that establishes subject matter standards for videos on which ads will appear. Videos that meet those standards are eligible to receive a share of platform ad revenue. Do you know WHY YouTube implemented demonetization standards? Because advertisers, fed up with their brands being associated with controversial issues, were pulling out of the platform. So yes, the fact that YouTube is first and foremost a commercial advertising platform is absolutely central to the discussion.

This first step into litigation of taste on the internet, if you will allow, is vitally important to first amendment rights which I would argue are under attack.
I took an oath to protect the constitution. I would encourage you to re-examine your commitment to the free speech of others.

Then you should learn what censorship is and why free speech doesn't come with the guarantee of access to a commercial platform or a share of ad revenue.

Psychographics is already science, it's exploitation was reportedly essential to the Brexit and Trump election victory, the mind control fantasy you lampoon is reality, btw your choice of breakfast cereal is meaningless to everyone but you. What is meaningful is that you continue to consume along a pattern designated by your masters.

Google is the most powerful entity on the planet. Allowing Google to determine what is tasteful and or appropriate for the marketplace of ideas is obscene. Why would anyone choose to allow technocrats to dictate to a free society matters of taste and appropriateness? Your wasting time insulting me. Free speech is where our focus should be my friend.

My choice of breakfast cereal is certainly important to people who make breakfast cereal. Coincidentally, those are the same people who advertise on YouTube. Their ad dollars are why the service is free to use for the rest of us.

Demonetized videos do not include ads, but are otherwise equally accessible and treated no differently.

That is not censorship. That is commerce.

A user has to OPT-IN to restricted mode (which is the equivalent of enabling PG-13 controls on a TV).

That is not censorship. That is personal choice.

You don't post music because you can't create any... have never created music in your life, as evidenced by your output. All your capable of is mockery as evidenced above... troll, snowflake, provocateur, social justice warrior, internet brigand or sad overweight little middle class white boy trying to have some fun, I don't care. Amuse yourself my friend, label yourself and others as you please. I don't have time.

Because anyone who expresses a dissenting opinion must be a villain...right? If you can attach a label then you can de-humanize them. Who's the "hater" here?

SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 18 2018 @ 06:52 PM CDT

SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

Sunday, March 18 2018 @ 07:03 PM CDT

"Restricted mode" is an OPTIONAL filter set by the user.

are we talking about Google searches? if so, i just tried looking for Mike Rowe's video with Safe Search on and with Safe Search off. same results. i was not logged in in both cases.

so i'm puzzled about where the "Restricted mode" is controlled.

not trying to be a wise guy, i'm trying to learn.