Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
particledots
Forum Full Member

Just make something
Tuesday, December 04 2018 @ 11:46 PM CST

Listen to what Marc is saying.....

MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Re:Just make something
Wednesday, December 05 2018 @ 12:11 PM CST

Great video!

My best quote on that subject ostensibly came from an old newspaper man, who said:
“I can’t have writer’s block – I have a deadline!”

Charles M. Schulz created 17,897 Peanuts comic-strips during his lifetime ... one at a time, by hand.   If he could do it, so can you.
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 05 2018 @ 09:37 PM CST

Quote by: MikeRobinson
If he could do it, so can you.

I'm not sure that immediately follows, but it's good to keep a positive attitude about it.

Quote by:JoeJackson

Think of Babe Ruth and you think of hot dogs and beer
But if he could hit a home run so can you
And your weight is just nowhere near
Am I making myself quite clear?

Think of Ray Charles and you think of sunglasses at night
But if he can play piano so can you
And you can tell black from white
Can you tell me that I'm not right?

Is that the best you can do?
Go for it, go for it, go for it, go for it
If that's the best you can do
Get out of my place
Take anyone's face
Come last in the race, but
Go for it, go for it, go for it, go for it, ooh

-- My CD.
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 05 2018 @ 10:33 PM CST

I remember that someone once said this about creativity:
“Always remember, you’ve got to do it, first.”
If you “make it – make anything,” then you can always fix it.   But nothing-at-all will happen if you’re just sitting there, maybe waiting for God to tell you what to do.   (Hint:   God bought a ticket to your show, and He’s out there drinking a nice cold beer, waiting to hear what you came up with ... so, let’s hear it.)   Pretend you’ve got a deadline.   Don’t care if you don’t feel like making some music today – pretend that it’s your job.
jgurner
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 06 2018 @ 09:52 AM CST

My best quote on that subject ostensibly came from an old newspaper man, who said:

As a middle-aged (yikes! When did that happen?) former newspaper man, I know that sentiment well. I've had to push through "writer's block" more times than I can count.

I sometimes forget it these day when I hit a dry patch or get in a rut. I forget that, sometimes, if I just sit down and create something really good can come out of it. Most of the time it doesn't, but at least it makes me feel better.

DWL
Forum Full Member

Thursday, December 06 2018 @ 01:44 PM CST

All very true and now I'm about to start work on mixing a song that's already 3 years old.....

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 07 2018 @ 08:17 AM CST

Schulz's solution was absolute routine:   he started every day the same way, eating breakfast at the Redwood Empire Ice Arena that he built next-door.   (At the arena, one forevermore-empty chair still says, “Reserved.”)   At nine o'clock the phones would not be answered – he loved to gab on the phone and he knew it – and he doodled.   Some days the ideas came quickly and in a rush; some days, none at all.   But he was always there, every day on time, doodling with a number-two pencil on a little pad of paper.   And his muse came to know when to expect him.

I still enjoy listening to popular songs that begin and/or end with a very simple motif – you know that this is what the composer started with, and from it you can hear exactly how (s)he then developed that motif into something that won commercial air-play.   (An example that immediately comes to mind is the country song, I Need You Now, by Lady Antebellum.   Four notes.)

I have heard it said that the TV show, Name That Tune, was in fact very-serious market research.
VicDiesel
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 07 2018 @ 09:08 AM CST

My latest submission was a project with a deadline. I made it with about 2 weeks to spare. But in general I deal badly with deadlines. Even though I don't lack for inspiration, in general it comes when it comes and there's no forcing it.

Victor.

-- My CD.
bud
Forum Full Member

Friday, December 07 2018 @ 10:54 PM CST

That was excellent. I loved that guys energy and flow. My dark side imagines him only being able to do that one thing - but he's getting to be a master at it. But even if that were the case which I hope is not, just harnessing all the reflexes and synapses that go into making any kind of music, is well worth the effort.
I'm really grateful for the RPM Challenge being there to pull me out of my winter slumber. It's not always my best work, but it's a job done.

It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.

KCsGROOVE
Forum Full Member

Saturday, December 08 2018 @ 11:06 AM CST

Even when I'm not inspired I always keep on noodling until I find something that I can work on
wrote a song about it sometime ago:
https://www.macjams.com/song/80677
"Work (to make it work)"
:-)
KC

every note counts