Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
grah3am
Forum Regular Poster

Re:Mj death
Saturday, January 19 2019 @ 01:34 PM CST

I am sorry to say I also see the demise of this site in the future. Yet I love posting here and getting such useful feedback. Can I recommend Procollabs (run by Raven, of MJ fame) where you can work with old pals and find new ones. The standard is very high.

"You read him his rights while I shave his legs."
Calchas
Forum Full Member

Saturday, January 19 2019 @ 02:34 PM CST

Quote by: alley-oop
Hey! Great post!
You speak to what used to be the heart and soul of MacJams: Participation. And all the great interactions and music that ensued.
When you started here, Mike, (me too), it was so very new,, wonderful and exotic. A world-wide digital community of like-minded musical people. The talent. The energy. I personally learned a tremendous amount about recording, being a better musician, a better songwriter and singer.
I feel the frustration you express, or did at one time.
Two things come to mind:
First, although so freaking fun, the MacJams business model was flawed. I think Simon and Miguel figured that out, but still loved their little creation, hence, it’s still here. Their target audience was musicians who were interested in recording with GarageBand (still great) software.
I love Mac computers, but you’ve reduced your potential audience to 10% with the name alone. Their thought was to create enough users to collect ad substantial revenue. But that didn’t work. At the best times, you had maybe a couple hundred daily active users. That’s not good for an ad revenue based business.

My second thought is personally, MacJams became too important to me and not in a good way. It became all-encompassing and my actual life suffered. To be successful here, unless one was an actual superstar, which I’m not, one had to really participate at a high level. That burned me out and I think it did to many.
I still dearly miss some people. But I had my moment in the sun, you did too.
I bailed on MacJams around 2014. I mourned the loss, sure. But I discovered I really don’t like sitting for hours with headphones on my head tweeting some track. What I love is playing and singing doing the occasional open mic. The ‘live’ part of music. I love playing at family get-togethers and playing with my brother or my friend Chad, MacJam artist Dr Bizarre. We might try to do some acoustic sets somewhere. And I’ve moved on and am happy and don’t miss being here.
I think you’re wanting something that will never exist again. But you were in the scene when this place was smokin’ Cherish that part. And accept that MacJams is a nice spot, some good amateur music. Be happy it’s not gone.

At the end of the day you may be right my friend. Perhaps I'm being unrealistic and foolishly nostalgic. Paramount for me here though was the critiques, the advice, and the opportunity to grow. I miss that the most. I owe mj so much. Seems only right to plea for its continuance and revival.

Perhaps the future for guys like me...who btw have zero interest in performing...is on YouTube. Time will tell I reckon.

Thanks for clocking in old friend. Best wishes to you...and Chad...in all your endeavors.

Mike

"People claim there is no truth, and they assert this as true; they say that man can know nothing, but this is something they think they know; they claim that "life" takes precedence over thought, and yet this is something they think! People are so stupi
Calchas
Forum Full Member

Saturday, January 19 2019 @ 02:35 PM CST

Quote by: grah3am
I am sorry to say I also see the demise of this site in the future. Yet I love posting here and getting such useful feedback. Can I recommend Procollabs (run by Raven, of MJ fame) where you can work with old pals and find new ones. The standard is very high.

I will check it out. Thanks Graham.

"People claim there is no truth, and they assert this as true; they say that man can know nothing, but this is something they think they know; they claim that "life" takes precedence over thought, and yet this is something they think! People are so stupi
Daugrin
Forum Full Member

Saturday, January 19 2019 @ 08:36 PM CST

Kenta pronounced MJs death sometime ago folks. He did it with the appropriate sadness and regret, but it is dead and has been for several years. To their credit, some of the people who were directly responsible for MJs eclipse have confessed their crimes here in public and moved on with their lives. Unfortunately not all the haters have left.
The key is keep the number of views up. Ask eleven people to come here. Views will keep the site finacially viable.
What we continue to do is breath life into a dream. That is not a bad thing. Let's see what happens, we have come this far...

Daug
Calchas
Forum Full Member

Sunday, January 20 2019 @ 02:02 AM CST

Quote by: Daugrin
Kenta pronounced MJs death sometime ago folks. He did it with the appropriate sadness and regret, but it is dead and has been for several years. To their credit, some of the people who were directly responsible for MJs eclipse have confessed their crimes here in public and moved on with their lives. Unfortunately not all the haters have left.
The key is keep the number of views up. Ask eleven people to come here. Views will keep the site finacially viable.
What we continue to do is breath life into a dream. That is not a bad thing. Let's see what happens, we have come this far...

Daug

You rule Daug.

Here's hoping.

jgurner
Forum Full Member

Sunday, January 20 2019 @ 10:47 AM CST

Ah, just like a Rolling Stones farewell tour, another "MJ is dead" thread pops up every so often.

One of these days, we'll try to log on and, indeed, the site will be gone. Until then, we can treat MJ just like we can treat life: we can live each day with the thought that yes, one day we're going to die, or, we can just live life.

With both life and MJ, I'm going to enjoy the music as long as I can.
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 21 2019 @ 08:06 AM CST

No, the site’s owner does not “give it some love” as he should, and the absence of a random song-picker makes this site’s enormous catalog(!) much more difficult to showcase, but in my opinion this site is still head-and-shoulders above other more well-known sites on the Internet.   The musicians who are here are exploring every genre, and they are sharing songs simply to share them – not with the expectation of becoming filthy rich.   (Although, of course, every one would be delighted to have such a wonderful turn of events happen to them, if it would ...)

This site has old-looking software, but ... it has content, and it has musicians.
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 21 2019 @ 08:11 AM CST

I do find it somewhat ironic that so many Macjammers, the very ones who actively participated and therefore made Macjams a vital thriving community, now rock on the same forum porch, and lament its passing...

It was a novel experiment, and it worked so well in bringing together passionate talented musicians and music lovers that the passionate people (and debates) are still here... outliving all the other sites like it.

This does mean that it has outlived a lot of the technology that drives it... e.g. the ancient FLASH technology is gone, so the (essential) music player doesn’t work on modern non-Flash devices.

And many Macjammers improved their craft here from excellent critiques, collabs, and help. Others of us just keep tinkering away, since music is only one facet of our complicated lives that other Macjammers don’t see.

We users do not OWN the site, and couldn’t fix all its parts if we did. So why grumble about it? Spend your time and words making music. Post it here. Or not.

Ttfn,
Drakonis (beware of newly retired dragons)
Calchas
Forum Full Member

Monday, January 21 2019 @ 10:34 AM CST

Nice to hear from all of you. Varied perspectives. Excellent comments. I love this place and have no plans to leave it... ever.

I am looking at other online venues, but no matter what I may or may not do elsewhere my primary loyalty will always be to this site as long as it still lives and breathes.

Simon and Miguel gave birth to a miracle, and I will always be grateful for the privilege of being a part of this miracle.

As for the title of this thread: "Mj death,"---it was a deliberate ploy on my part to provoke the very type of commentary that has resulted.

MJ is not dead... no... not yet. Who knows whether it will rise again from it's current sleepy state to a more vibrant one?

Whatever the case, I'm glad to be here still with ALL of you!

Take care my friends!

AllenDean
Forum Chatty

Monday, January 21 2019 @ 05:34 PM CST

hmmm...
I can only speak for myself, here, but I have been on extended holiday since 2016 from all things music. I have spent 2 years in hospital helping my wife gain her life back, then nearly a year bumming around a few countries in Europe, sharing the experiences of a lifetime with my wife and boys, while she healed. like some have commented, my Macjams experience has been varied. in 2007, when I started, I was just learning how to record digitally. My skills, such as they were, had their limits, and as such, I was grateful to collaborate with as many people as possible. I met my dear friend, Jason Whitman here, Chris Cihon, and so many others, who helped me get back my "mojo" as it were. Conversely, I have also had a couple of bad experiences here, in terms of musicians rights and copyright issues, unrelated to MacJams in general. in 2011, I began playing live again, and during this minor mid life crisis, I spent the next four years writing, gigging and recording. This limited my time at the site, making my own music, collaborating with the fine folks here, and looking back, is one of my regrets from that time period... fast forward to 2018, and I was shocked that Icompositions fell away, yet MacJams was still here, albeit in a format that my iPad could not play.
my thoughts are as follows;
if there is another place where people of ANY skill level and musical background can come, share, and receive constructive, helpful criticism, while collaborating with others, I want to know where to find it, because I haven't found a place like this in all my time on the inter webs.
I hope artists, hobbyists and beginners will find this site, and continue to create. this is a good site. it has its flaws, but, so do I!
since rebuilding my home studio these past few months, I am super stoked that this is still a place I can come to share in my madness.
AD19