Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
btransue
Forum Full Member

RIP Garry Transue, aka the other half of The Weird Brothers
Sunday, July 21 2019 @ 10:46 AM CDT

Sorry to announce that we lost another MacJammer on June 15th, 2019. Most of you didn't know him by name, only perhaps as half of The Weird Brothers

Garry Transue was an amazingly talented musician. He and I played music together for over 35 years under the name The Weird Brothers, coined during our first jam session in a Seattle loft in 1983, and subsequently played and recorded hundreds of hours of improvisational music in the years that followed. For many years we played every Wednesday night, come hell or high water, and it usually did. Additionally, he played with a handful of others for a similar amount of time so there are that many more hours of recordings I have never even heard. He was a gifted writer with a wry sense of humor who didn't suffer fools lightly, and his lyrics reflected it, even when that fool he suffered was himself.

Garry made a number of his own instruments that we would play during our jam sessions including an electrified hammer dulcimer, an electric bow saw, several cigar box guitars, and another we simply called the "Unibomber" which was a guitar neck and super hot pickups welded to a frame wrapped around an amplifier. It was my favorite, it screamed like no guitar I had ever heard and was best played with a slide. His instruments were as wonderful and unusual as he was, and he could play them all, a fretless acoustic bass, a National Steel guitar, a Bass Banjo (who has one of those?), Baby Taylors, a vintage Telecaster...he played guitar, bass, percussion and just about any other instrument you could hand him. He was tirelessly prolific and inventive and left behind an ocean of his own recordings that will take me a lifetime to navigate.

I have played music with a fair number of people over the years, most of whom were all gifted and talented musicians, but none I shared such a musical connection that I did with my brother. If you're lucky enough to experience that, you know exactly what I mean, it is a relationship that is irreplaceable. I will never have THAT connection with anyone again, and that makes me both incredibly fortunate, and terribly heartbroken. There is a big piece of me, musically, that went with him, and I'm not really sure how to cope with that particular form of loss, as it's never happened to me before.

I'll post some additional links to more of his personal music as well if anyone is interested.

J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Re:RIP Garry Transue, aka the other half of The Weird Brothe
Sunday, July 21 2019 @ 11:54 AM CDT

I'm sorry for your loss, Blaine. But as you acknowledged, you were indeed incredibly fortunate to have that kind of bond with your brother and as a result, a part of him will live on within you. Positive, healing thoughts for you and the rest of your family. Wink

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Sunday, July 21 2019 @ 08:22 PM CDT

So sorry to hear that Blaine. I hope your and Garry's families are OK.
Best regards from Oz,
Neil
Dadai.2
Forum Full Member

Sunday, July 21 2019 @ 09:44 PM CDT

Sincere condolences, Blaine. Indeed, your brother, irreplaceable. Still remember and thankful that we got to meet in Santa Barbara many years ago. So very sorry for your loss. Blessings....
DeputyDoofy
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 22 2019 @ 02:47 PM CDT

Very sorry for your loss. Frown

btransue
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 22 2019 @ 04:41 PM CDT

Appreciate the sentiments, indeed, some of us have been around long enough to have had and lost some very good friends here, still an amazing place in all ways MacJams. Can't tell you how often I play Fran Dagostino's beautiful blues, have even used it for a couple of Flying videos like Day Tripper. He was such a great inspiration, and like my brother Garry, that man there, Fran, gave us some beautiful music.
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Monday, July 22 2019 @ 08:11 PM CDT

Well, I guess I know what my "play list" is going to be for the rest of the evening ...

Peace.
DWL
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 23 2019 @ 09:59 AM CDT

Really sorry to hear that. Tough times. My condolences.

It's not been a great few weeks for Macjammers Frown

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)
mikkinylund
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 23 2019 @ 01:45 PM CDT

This is incredible sad news indeed. I'm quite at loss for words really. It has been dire times, not for us MacJammer's, but individually as well. I hope you have strength enough to walk through these passing times of sorrow. I'm sending my thoughts from another brother to a brother, and, walk in peace. Wow... Frown

Ed Hannifin
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, July 30 2019 @ 07:20 AM CDT

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, Blane.

"We have to remember...when it's surrender that's called for, it's not surrender of your brains. It's surrender of your ego. It's a different thing." --Bruce Cockburn