Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Moviz
Forum Full Member

Disappointing
Tuesday, October 08 2019 @ 11:38 AM CDT

So disappointed to say the least, since my Mac packed up early this year. I replaced it with a new one, only to find they've done away with the ability to burn discs (what's the idea behind that?} and then when i went into Garageband I saw they 'updated' it so that I can't understand it without the aid of a psychic and I'm too old to start farting about learning it all over again. Besides that with the new 'update', it's deleted most of my songs, so I can't go back and re-edit them. My own additions to the loops and orchestral parts/ instruments etc. have disappeared too from the library. Why alter things that were working fine for God's sake? Thats the reason I haven't posted anything new all this time.

It's never too late.... is it?
rover101
Forum Full Member

Re:Disappointing
Tuesday, October 08 2019 @ 02:08 PM CDT

I'm running Mojave, and the disc-burning is under the file menu, if that helps at all.

Noli bastardi carborundum
Moviz
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, October 09 2019 @ 10:18 AM CDT

Me too Rover, I have Mojave version 10.14.6, but it's the Mac that's the problem with no means of burning through the Mac itself except through an extended burner. I can't understand why Mac would Have Garageband and then stop providing the burner slot; doesn't make sense, when it was so easy to use and good recordings too. Why update if its going to wipe stuff off I ask myself. The Mac is no cheaper.

It's never too late.... is it?
rover101
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, October 09 2019 @ 12:27 PM CDT

Well, USB thumb drives have taken over many of the tasks we used CDs/DVDs for ....

Noli bastardi carborundum
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Saturday, October 12 2019 @ 10:03 AM CDT

Hi, Maurice. One option that might help you is to buy an external USB drive, make it a bootable version of an older OS (such as the one you WERE using before your previous Mac went kaput). You can also install the older version of GB, your sound library and your recordings and boot up on that external HD when you want to work on your music. It's a bit cumbersome, but it works.

As for the missing CD burner, as Rover mentioned, they've become passé and replaced by USB thumb drives. So, if you feel the personal need to burn CDs you'll have to further invest in an external burner. Wink

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 13 2019 @ 05:53 AM CDT

Hi Maurice, I totally understand how you're feeling.
I use an Apple Superdrive to burn CDs to give to people who haven't really embraced the new digital world. I had a quick look on the UK eBay, and they are available from £25 up to £90 - you'd need local knowledge to decide the best seller.
I haven't used GarageBand for at least a decade, but I'm sure (if you have your old Mac still) that someone at your local Mac shop could give you a hand to get your old files from its hard drive for you. Perhaps you have a backup of your old Mac HD (or maybe just your music files)?
At the very least you should be able to download all your MacJams mp3s - for posterity.
Hope you are well,
Cheers from Oz (and good luck!)
Neil

DWL
Forum Full Member

Sunday, October 13 2019 @ 07:49 AM CDT

I share your frustration Maurice.

My 27" iMac I use for music has a CD/DVD reader/writer but my new 21" iMac (the "family" computer) doesn't. If I want to make a CD I put the files on a USB stick and take them downstairs to the basement "studio" and use the 27".

What gets me most at the moment with each new realease is that Logic has become more unstable and I'm also completely lost as to where my files are. I try and keep my lyric and ideas documents organised but they seem to end up all over the place.

Also when I've created an aif or mp3 a search doesn't find it and I have to navigate through to the bounces. WTF doesn't the search find it?

Brilliant software but their file organisation is a pile of doo-doo.

Hanging in with the out crowd (All rights reserved)