Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
guygrooves
Forum Full Member

2-3-4 or 5 chord songs
Thursday, July 18 2013 @ 01:17 PM CDT

Hello everyone,

It has been quite a while since I have darkend your doors I intend to make a full return when time allows. I picked up my guitar today and really didn't know what to play, so I started playing knocking on heavens door by Bob Dylan. I actually enjoyed it very much, simple chord structure, more focus on vocals than the playing, it was quite nice. The reason for this forum post is to ask of you all to list your favorite 2 3 4 or five chord song that you use to warm up or that allows you to get your creative juices flowing again please include your chord structure and the key you like to play it in. The easier the better I have arthritis in my hands and I would like to play for more than 2 or 3 songs around the campfire.

Peace
Guy
4nglo
Forum Full Member

Re:Trying to get it back
Thursday, July 18 2013 @ 02:18 PM CDT

great campfire song, sing-along and harmonize

"Bamboo" - peter, paul & mary
alackbass
Forum Full Member

Thursday, July 18 2013 @ 03:05 PM CDT

Any old blues will do in any old key.
apb
Forum Full Member

Friday, July 19 2013 @ 02:16 AM CDT

Traditional folk song: "Wild Mountain Thyme" .. key Eb (capo 8th fret).. chords (shapes): G, C, Em, Am. [quite low for me but makes the harmonies easier..in theory Smile]

I recorded a version:http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=194327
Moonwolf_Project
Forum Full Member

Saturday, July 20 2013 @ 07:39 AM CDT

Hey, Guy ....... realise this is probably redundant, but have you tried glucosomine for your hands?

24. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1924. That means it only took 50 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.
MarkHolbrook
Forum Full Member

Saturday, July 20 2013 @ 08:25 AM CDT

It's been way too long Guy since you've graced us with your presence. I miss you but then again I've not been here much myself.

I don't even pick a song so to speak. I start with a familiar chord then make a change.

Sometimes the change takes me some place strange and awful sounding other times, most of the time some place familiar. Before I know it I have a riff.

Sometimes the riff is a rip off from something my sub-conscious remembers about some song I heard. Sometimes it's brand spanking new. That doesn't mean it's song worthy but just some new chord progression, timing, strum method etc.

Every now and then I like it and begin to practice it over and over and sometimes it develops into a real song I try to create. Sometimes it remains a riff for many years.

Anyway I don't think I pickup the guitar and think, "I'm gonna play Dust In the Wind". I just play and some times it ends up being Dust In the Wind.

Guy, hope you can get some relief for your hands. I'm a medical device software programmer by trade and spend literally all day and some evenings working on a keyboard. I think if my hands hurt my life would be hell. Hope you find some help.

M

Wherever you go, there you are!
guygrooves
Forum Full Member

Saturday, July 20 2013 @ 11:10 AM CDT

Quote by: Moonwolf_Project
Hey, Guy ....... realise this is probably redundant, but have you tried glucosomine for your hands?

Good advice is good advice. Glucosamine is a staple now as well omega 3 and 3 6 9. Thank you sir

Peace
guygrooves
Forum Full Member

Saturday, July 20 2013 @ 11:32 AM CDT

Quote by: MarkHolbrook
It's been way too long Guy since you've graced us with your presence. I miss you but then again I've not been here much myself.

I don't even pick a song so to speak. I start with a familiar chord then make a change.

Sometimes the change takes me some place strange and awful sounding other times, most of the time some place familiar. Before I know it I have a riff.

Sometimes the riff is a rip off from something my sub-conscious remembers about some song I heard. Sometimes it's brand spanking new. That doesn't mean it's song worthy but just some new chord progression, timing, strum method etc.

Every now and then I like it and begin to practice it over and over and sometimes it develops into a real song I try to create. Sometimes it remains a riff for many years.

Anyway I don't think I pickup the guitar and think, "I'm gonna play Dust In the Wind". I just play and some times it ends up being Dust In the Wind.

Guy, hope you can get some relief for your hands. I'm a medical device software programmer by trade and spend literally all day and some evenings working on a keyboard. I think if my hands hurt my life would be hell. Hope you find some help.

M

Hey good to hear from you Mark thank you for your kind thoughts. While I wouldn't want anyone ever have to feel the wrath of arthritis. Strangely enough it has been a blessing in disguise. I doubt very much that I would have learned how to record to the extent that I have. Logic can be a very overwhelming program and I still have a long way to go. I can still play enough to record my songs and create. I just cant play professionally any longer and I would like to play around the campfire however at the moment I don't know enough easy singalong songs to entertain anyone LOL

Peace
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Saturday, July 20 2013 @ 12:07 PM CDT

Welcome back, Guy. Smile

Nowadays, I mostly warm up by playing my own works-in-progress. However, one of the easy tunes I used in the past is the Stones version of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," played with E - A - D. Simple enough and a pretty good vocal warm-up, too. Wink

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND

guygrooves
Forum Full Member

Re:2-3-4 or 5 chord songs
Tuesday, July 23 2013 @ 10:49 PM CDT

Quote by: J.A.Stewart
Welcome back, Guy. Smile

Nowadays, I mostly warm up by playing my own works-in-progress. However, one of the easy tunes I used in the past is the Stones version of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," played with E - A - D. Simple enough and a pretty good vocal warm-up, too. Wink

Thanks I actually have the Stones version of that one.