Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
SmokeyVW
Forum Full Member

I Am A Fool
Saturday, August 04 2018 @ 06:38 PM CDT

my hearing is quickly degrading. this is not some vague, impressionistic opinion. i have checked and rechecked, using my own waveforms, microphones, speakers, and yes, my high end hearing has dropped way off. in a noisy background, i can detect 7.5KHz at best. for some reason my left ear is noticeably lower, maybe 7.0 KHz. why? who knows.

but, i'm an idiot. i should have known this would happen eventually. it is well-documented that age brings loss of hearing acuity.

what i should have been doing all along, for at the very least the last 10 years (probably 20), is listen to mixes at 50% speed often enough to know what the high end should sound like.

doing that brings all that high freq info way up where i cannot hear anymore, into audible range. but now it's too late to learn that firsthand. i can still do the slow-speed trick now, but i can't ever know what a good high-end at full speed is like for real. a lost opportunity. *sigh*

awigze
Forum Full Member

Re:I Am A Fool
Saturday, August 04 2018 @ 08:09 PM CDT

I with ya on this as well.... A good solution as far as I can tell. The only thing I came up with was to flip the headphones around and give it another pass. Eventually, we'll be passing our mixes to younger ears.

Music is the master link in the chain of the tribes of mankind! -SloParts
and so it goes...