Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Re:
Monday, December 10 2018 @ 11:07 AM CST

https://www.anneapplebaum.com/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/anne-applebaum/
https://www.theatlantic.com/author/anne-applebaum/
http://www.lse.ac.uk/iga/arena

I'd suggest you start with her columns, which offer analysis of contemporary events from a global perspective. Arena is the research group at LSE. If you search YouTube you'll also find recent panels and public discussions she has participated in covering a range of associated topics.

“Ya, that idea is dildos.” Skwisgaar Skwigelf
GET SONG FEEDBACK --> MacJams Critics Circles
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Re:
Tuesday, December 11 2018 @ 07:52 AM CST

Yes, Anne’s articles are interesting and well-written, but I suppose that I can also tell that she is writing for the Washington [D.C.] Post.   I rather think that she is among the great many people [in Washington, DC] who suppose that Donald Trump is some kind of aberration ... some kind of awful mistake that will surely be “remedied” in 2020 if not – umm – sooner.

But I find myself very seriously wondering if that point-of-view is actually correct.   What if, as I said in the OP, “Trump’s America” really is America?   What if future Presidents, although surely not exactly like him, are much more like him than not?   Has the sea changed?   Is this, finally, the coffin-nail moment for “globalism?”   Given that the American electorate, when given a choice that no “right mind” anywhere in the Beltway could have imagined them choosing, chose it, is this a sign of things to come?

The Democrats [over-]confidently looked at their hand-picked candidate’s “credentials” and very simply took for granted that she had to win.   They still do not believe that she didn’t.   They cannot comprehend that Trump will win a second term.   They cannot imagine anything but a successful (“Whew!   Now, let’s get things back to ‘normal.’ ”) impeachment – or worse.   They represent conventional DC thinking at its finest, and basically so does Anne.   But – are they right?

Looking beyond DT, who or what will follow him ... and, why?   The youngest Congresswoman ever elected is now in office, and she, too, is “tweeting.”   Is this, too, the future?

I notice that “Brace for Impact’ has returned from the dead, although I did not mean to do it.   Very well, just keep what is over there, over there.
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Re:
Tuesday, December 11 2018 @ 08:51 AM CST

First, Anne's professional and academic accomplishments precede and surpass her publication in The Wapo, The Atlantic, and elsewhere. Attempting to dismiss her perspective in such a manner is an Ad Hominem (eg, "she was published by so and so, she must be wrong"). Her work is extensive and her relevance and expertise should be evaluated on content and merit.

Second, Mike, you are JAQing-off. If you aren't familiar with the term:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions

If you don't have access to the evidence necessary to establish these answers then you shouldn't posit idle speculation as counterpoint. You'll just have to wait until you have the objective facts necessary before forming or promoting an opinion. In the meanwhile, determine what categories and standards of evidence might serve to either correlate with or falsify your assumptions. Look for both with equal zeal.

You might also be cautious to not construct an elaborate narrative around an imagined outcome. If the facts are revealed to not support your hoped for assumptions you will be left with a great deal of cognitive dissonance to deal with, having invented a false framework of many dependent causal relationships in the effort to prematurely confirm your biases.

MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

That seems harsh ...
Tuesday, December 11 2018 @ 05:39 PM CST

That seems unnecessarily harsh, Chikoppi.   I really, truly, am “just asking questions,” to invite conversation about what other people think – including you.   I don’t have the same opinion of Anne as you do, but isn’t that all right, after all?   There are no, per se, “objective facts” surrounding my speculation as to whether or not we are seeing any sort of permanent change in politics as a brand-new generation of voters, steeped since birth in the Internet Age, steps onto the scene.   Furthermore, it is absolutely true that the choice which voters made in 2016 is entirely without precedent in the American experience.

I understand that many people, as you say, “JAQ off” (I like that ...), but that is not – is not at all – what I am trying to do here.   Instead, I set out a premise, described a few of my thoughts, then invited response should there be any.   To presume that “this is what he is doing because this must be what he is doing!” ... is to err.
chikoppi
Forum Full Member

Re:
Tuesday, December 11 2018 @ 08:21 PM CST

Sorry if my comments stuck you as harsh. That wasn't my intent. I was aiming to be dispassionate and in a desire for brevity omitted a good deal of nuance that the discussion, and you, deserve.

I do believe I understand something of your comments. You are hopeful that the current turmoil will result in better days ahead. I don't want to dissuade you from that. I hope for the same thing.

History is also filled with periods of shocking political upheaval that bring about prolonged misfortune and a reconstituted "normal" that offers little change or worse (eg, Hungary). I do see some cause for optimism, particularly among several of the unlikely candidates that prevailed in the last election, the marked increase in women and minorities successfully competing for office, and the resilience of our model of separated powers.

I'm not much interested in trying to divine what the tea leaves hold, because I don't think the future is yet decided. The future will only be determined by how pragmatic and clear-eyed we are today.

egobandit
Forum Full Member

Re:
Thursday, December 13 2018 @ 08:32 AM CST

the Wealthy, the Elite, the ones with all the money are making a power grab. All wealth is flowing to the top. They know the modern system that's been set up, is unwinding fast. They see the the fast moving freight train of world wide calamity speeding towards mankind. They are making their plans to survive this up coming tribulation. A plan where they will be the Phoenix to crawl out from the mountains and repopulate the earth, with their own prodigy. Its funny because with all the wealth they are accumulating, they have enough wealth to solve the earths problems for all humanity. Instead because they are elitist at heart they have no compassion for the rest of humanity, we are just mere workers (numbers) to them, disposable , just like the society they place before us.

but what do I know
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Re:
Thursday, December 13 2018 @ 10:39 AM CST

Quote by: egobandit
the Wealthy, the Elite, the ones with all the money are making a power grab. All wealth is flowing to the top. They know the modern system that's been set up, is unwinding fast. They see the the fast moving freight train of world wide calamity speeding towards mankind. They are making their plans to survive this up coming tribulation. A plan where they will be the Phoenix to crawl out from the mountains and repopulate the earth, with their own prodigy. Its funny because with all the wealth they are accumulating, they have enough wealth to solve the earths problems for all humanity. Instead because they are elitist at heart they have no compassion for the rest of humanity, we are just mere workers (numbers) to them, disposable , just like the society they place before us.

but what do I know

No more.. Noblesse Oblige, eh?

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND
egobandit
Forum Full Member

Re:
Thursday, December 13 2018 @ 11:22 AM CST

Quote by: J.A.Stewart
Quote by: egobandit

but what do I know

No more.. Noblesse Oblige, eh?

to be kind and responsible, to those beneath you, yes but equality as humans would also bring about empathy
MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Re:
Thursday, December 13 2018 @ 12:40 PM CST

Quote by: chikoppi
Sorry if my comments stuck you as harsh. That wasn't my intent. I was aiming to be dispassionate and in a desire for brevity omitted a good deal of nuance that the discussion, and you, deserve.

No offense was or could be taken – I think we are all on the same page here. Just be mindful that, when someone is “just asking questions,” maybe he is(!) ... just asking questions.   (Questions that are sincerely his own, and that are meant to be thought-provoking but not provocative.)

MikeRobinson
Forum Full Member

Re:
Thursday, December 13 2018 @ 12:44 PM CST

Wealth?   Wealth?   What is that, exactly?   Is it the now-trillions of currency-units that we can magically produce out of precisely nothing?   I wouldn’t call that anything except ...

(I know, I know ... “Marie Osmond?   How could you ...?” )