Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Scott Carmichael
Forum Full Member

Mixbus
Saturday, December 15 2018 @ 12:31 PM CST

One of the things I loved most about MJ was how it helped us develop in this craft and we would pick up ideas from each other... I have been recording and mixing in Logic for as long as I can remember... for years I have always hit the same wall... many of us here are old enough to remember analog studios and equipment... there are moves that we make on an analog board that when replicated in the BOX (in our DAW) we only end up with a one dimensional representation... anyway someone in a music forum insisted that I try Mixbus (made by Harrison) and the trail software was free... I didn't want to because I am so familiar with Logic that I didn't want to have to learn all new software... but I went ahead and downloaded the free trail version... by the end of the day I had bought the full blown version... after hearing the result, I would have paid much more because I immediately saw the value... I'm getting such good mixes that I am remixing my whole catalog... Mixbus is what has been missing... the signal path is intuitive, and the results so far have been analog like mixes right out of the box... I'm not overly impressed with the plug ins... so I have opened an account with WAVES... so that is one downside... But I will say each channel strip has comprehensive EQ and it's own compressor that is modeled after the original Harrison mixing desk... and without any plug ins I was already getting the best mixes I had ever achieved... I will post an old song that has been remixed in mixbus... here's their website... check them out

https://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html
grah3am
Forum Regular Poster

Re:Mixbus
Tuesday, December 18 2018 @ 02:28 PM CST

I'm with you all the way here, Scott. I have been enjoying and shilling for Mixbus since version 3. We're now on 5, and it's fantastic. I'm still not entirely comfortable with tracking in Mixbus, but send all my stems to it for mixing and mastering. I recommend the Mixbus forum on Facebook, Mixbus Soundstage. Tom will welcome you and you will meet fellow enthusiasts and maybe learn a few things, as have I.

"You read him his rights while I shave his legs."
Scott Carmichael
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, December 18 2018 @ 03:18 PM CST

I don't track in Mixbus either... I still think that Logic is the greatest tracking and creation tool... it's great for writing and fleshing out a song... and it is so stable... not to mention it's the program that I'm most familiar with... I transfer everything to Mixbus V5 32C when I'm done for the final mix... killer... a few things... I always assumed that gain staging wasn't important in the digital realm... because we're not dealing with actual signals... that was obviously wrong... and the signal path is so intuitive in mixbus... back in the 80 I had some experience with the Harrison boards... I think old timers will be immediately at home on it...
grah3am
Forum Regular Poster

Wednesday, December 19 2018 @ 06:27 PM CST

I still don't know what gainstaging is. I group stuff together and apply mass EQ and effects, and then master it with the Harrison limiter and compression and viola. With a bit of twiddling I can get every track to 14 LUFs, all ready for a release as a collection. The results never disappoint.

"You read him his rights while I shave his legs."

J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, December 19 2018 @ 07:47 PM CST

Thanks for the tip, Scott. I'll be sure to give it a whirl. Wink

MY LATEST: A demo version of my Work-In-Progress DAILY GRIND