Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
Lefty
Forum Newbie

Inexpensive condenser mics?
Sunday, April 04 2004 @ 02:30 PM CDT

Hey now.

Going to re-engage in some home recording (after many years away) using GarageBand. I have an SM-57 along with some other assorted mics of varying--but generally mediocre--quality. I notice that Zzounds has some (relatively) inexpensive ($60-160) condenser mics available. Would any of these represent much of an upgrade over the SM-57 for vocals and miking acoustic guiar?

The mics I'm browsing include the Marshall V57M, the Behringer B1 and B2, and the Rode NT1A. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences they'd care to share?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

--- Lefty
Maggie
Forum Newbie

Re:Inexpensive condenser mics?
Monday, April 05 2004 @ 01:47 PM CDT

Maybe not on the subject, exactly, but when you ask for a condenser mike, do you mean one that is battery-powered?

I don't know the answer, but I'm looking to replace my
SONY ECM-MS907, which has been very good for about 5 years, but now has a bad wire or something.

The technology seems to have changed, and I'm not sure what kinds of mike are needed for my minidisc recorder. So, I'll be watching to see what people might recommend here.
pax,
maggie
s0mmeil
Forum Full Member

Monday, April 05 2004 @ 03:26 PM CDT

as of now I don't really have any experience (in my own recording) with anything but the Behringer B-1, and I'm very pleased with it. It produces great warmth and clarity with vocals and acoustic guitar and for $99 (which includes a hard case and shock mount) you can't go wrong.

just peachy...

jd
Forum Newbie

Saturday, April 17 2004 @ 11:31 AM CDT

The sm-57 is a great general purpose mic and in my opinion problably none better as far as flexibility. You can record guitars (close mic an amp), Live mic amps and is a great live vocal mic. They a damn near indestructable to boot.

As far as a condenser mic that is inexspensive (again this is only my opinion) the Studio Projects C-1 is awesome. Check out some of the reviews such as the one from mix magazine.

I have been involved in home recording and studio recording for year and have used lots of stuff from old 4 tracks to high end esoteric equipment. For a project studio application Studio Project mics are sound better than anything you'll find for the price.