Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
daddyphatsax
Forum Newbie

MIDI cable suggestion for NEW Garageband user
Friday, April 16 2004 @ 11:24 PM CDT

hi, i'm about to receive my new emac this wednesday packed with the garageband jampack & ilife 04. i have an old Technics WSA1 keyboard with midi outputs/inputs. i'm a little unclear of which midi cable i should get. the keyboard doesnt have a usb.
2ndly, i have an AKG C419 (which needs phantom power to work) saxophone clip mic. how do i use it to record my sax on Garageband?
lastly, to record live bass/guitar onto garageband, i would need a preamp right?
sorry if these questions sound a little dumb, i'm still new to the electronic music world
penguinsocks
Forum Full Member

Re:MIDI cable suggestion for NEW Garageband user
Saturday, April 17 2004 @ 02:35 AM CDT

that's okay, everyone has to start somewhere.

for bass and guitar i recommend the M-Audio MobilePre USB which i haven't tried out yet because it's taking over 2 weeks for long & mcquade to get it from toronto.. grr.. the one i have right now is the Tascam US122 (see the other post) which has midi. it's more $$$, as is anything with midi. the m-audio will work fine. it's $175 US i think.
as per your microphone for recording sax... what kind of input plug does it have on it? (1/4", 1/8" etc.)

"pengy" :: thirteen cent pinball
daddyphatsax
Forum Newbie

Saturday, April 17 2004 @ 04:17 AM CDT

it's using a 1/4".... i can still use the M-audio mobile pre right? are there any cheaper ones out there? i plan to get friends to record their guitars & bass plus record my sax...and maybe vocals. i got a mediocre kareoke mic for vox...hehehehe

baggsathome
Forum Newbie

Sunday, April 18 2004 @ 01:27 PM CDT

yeah. the mobilepre works like a charm.
i havent run into a problem with garageband yet with it.