Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
BirdmanWayne94
Forum Full Member

Audio interface recommendation?
Thursday, May 23 2019 @ 09:57 AM CDT

What do you recommend for a guitar/vocal/keyboard set-up? 4-6 signals, with a couple XLRs, should suffice.

I've been using Tascam FireOne since '08 and I'm definitely due for an upgrade. I looked into Focusrite; something about their products being the most-widely picked for low-budget makes me skeptical of the quality.

I'd greatly appreciate your recommendation and maybe a reference track or two for the quality of your production using what you recommend Smile
Moonwolf_Project
Forum Full Member

Re:Audio interface recommendation?
Friday, May 24 2019 @ 11:28 AM CDT

MotU

24. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1924. That means it only took 50 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Saturday, May 25 2019 @ 04:03 AM CDT

Quote by: BirdmanWayne94
What do you recommend for a guitar/vocal/keyboard set-up? 4-6 signals, with a couple XLRs, should suffice.

I've been using Tascam FireOne since '08 and I'm definitely due for an upgrade. I looked into Focusrite; something about their products being the most-widely picked for low-budget makes me skeptical of the quality.

I'd greatly appreciate your recommendation and maybe a reference track or two for the quality of your production using what you recommend Smile

Hi Yeman,
Hope you are well!
I use a Focusrite Pro14 - you can look it up on their site - but only the two XLRs on the front. I've had it maybe 5 years now - maybe more - and have been very happy with it. As a reference, listen to anything of mine on my "Looking Like The Real Thing" album on BandCamp:https://jiguma.bandcamp.com/album/looking-like-the-real-thing
With PBGB, we use a Presonus FireStudio, which has lots more (obvious) inputs than my Focusrite. It's around 10 years old - again, maybe more - and seems to work fine.
We haven't had any problems with either unit.
Cheers from Oz,
Neil
jiguma
Forum Full Member

Saturday, May 25 2019 @ 04:04 AM CDT

Oops Smile

XMaramena
Forum Full Member

Monday, May 27 2019 @ 05:28 PM CDT

The audio interface doesn't really have any factor on sound quality. What affects sound quality, from largest effect to smallest effect:

- Quality of instrument
- Acoustic properties of recording environment
- Microphone choice and placement
- Mixing and Production Tools
- Preamps used
- Mastering, summing and dithering

What an expensive interface will do as opposed to a cheaper one is be able to handle higher sample rates, more I/O and better data transfer at lower latencies. Some interfaces have built-in mic preamps in addition to the DI inputs.

Personally, I use a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, which is great for the price but unfortunately now a legacy product and discontinued.

My recommendations of interfaces and pres:

Best-on-a-budget:
- Focusrite Clarett 8 - $1,199
- MOTU 8pre-es - $1,195

Smart buys for high quality recording:
- Apogee Ensemble - $2,495
- UAD Apollo - $2,495

Individual Luxury Preamps for the Distinguished Gentleman:
- Avalon V5 - $1,345
- Neve 1073 - $1,150
- Crane Song Syren - $1,199
- Shadow Hills GAMA - $995
- API 512 - $945

And if you want the full kahuna of DA conversion, go with a Prism Sound product. They also offer some interfaces with integrated mic pres (the Titan is $3,995 for a 4-pre interface).

Remember that not all your inputs require a preamp. Also, like pairing wine and cheese, if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of preamp sound quality, you’ll want to think about what mics you’re using and how the tones will complement each other. For example, a U87 mic loves a 1073 pre. A C414 does well with a 512, and the focusrites are nice and clear for it too.

I wouldn’t disregard a refurbished Liquid Safire - it’s older technology - FireWire - but you get a little more room for sonic creativity with the 1 and 2 input pres with nice emulations of different classic pres.