Home Music Articles Forums Blog Chat More...      

add to bookmarks
Prev Topic | Next Topic

Author
John Stebbe
Forum Full Member

iWeb question
Monday, June 26 2006 @ 07:31 PM CDT

Anyone using iWeb, or know someone who has put up a website using it?

I teach public school music. I have been using Publisher to create my school web page. But it looks very "1997."

So I got iLife '06. Mostly for iWeb. I wanted to use iWeb to create a web page for school. I mostly wanted the ability to have QuickTime movie files imbedded into the page.

(I have two Macs at home, and a PC at school.)

So I created a site (with a couple of pages) and saved it to a folder. (You don't have to use .mac to use iWeb.) Looks fine at home. It has movie files, pictures, text, and navigation buttons. I opened the site with Safari. Looked great. I opened it with IE. Still great. I moved the files to my old 2001 Indigo iMac (running OSX.2) and opened it with the older version of Safari, and it still looked great. Also tried an older version of IE, and still it looked great.

So I saved the web site to my thumb drive and went to school, where I have a Dell PC on a Novell network. I opened the site with my PC's IE, and I got a warning that the Popup Blocker was working, because there was "Active Content" that might harm my computer. So I instructed IE to go ahead and allow the "Active Content." The first page of my site was only pictures and text. When I allowed the active content, some of my pictures went away. So did the text.

On the second page of my site are some QT videos. They look just great in iWeb, the way you can effortlessly import them onto a page, and have the first frame of the video show up on the page, and the rest of the page will stay there while you watch the video. So again I told IE to allow the active content, and then all my videos did appear, but the text and navigation text/buttons disappeared.

So I want to find someone else's iWeb page, that I can access from school, to see how their pages behave with my school's web browser (IE).

Anybody help?

My 2010 jazz piano CD on the iTunes store.
kristyjo
Forum Full Member

Re:iWeb question
Monday, June 26 2006 @ 07:40 PM CDT

Not to quell your enthusiasm, but I've had rotten luck trying to get my iWeb authored pages to work on our school server. I think I ended up going back to Dreamweaver with text editing to get the QuickTime content included. Good luck - I hope you get things to work!
John Stebbe
Forum Full Member

Monday, June 26 2006 @ 07:41 PM CDT

OK, I just answered my own question. Here's an index of iWeb sites:
http://www.iwebusersites.com/

John Stebbe
Forum Full Member

Monday, June 26 2006 @ 07:52 PM CDT

And here's an Apple forum where my fears are confirmed: IE (on a PC) seems not to be able to display sites created with iWeb without lots of problems.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=529970&tstart=0

I have been a dedicated Mac user (at home) for almost ten years now. This is my first major disappointment with one of their iApps. I am surprised that this problem is happening. Hopefully there are enough other people out there in my situation that Apple will take notice, and take steps to make iWeb sites display correctly with a PC-based IE browser.

TobinMueller
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 11:49 AM CDT

I used it to put up a series of photos when I moved my father into an assisted living facility in WI. I took a few photos from iPhoto, pressed a few buttons, and in seconds the site was up on my .Mac pages:

http://web.mac.com/tobinmueller/iWeb/Site/IslandShores.html

I was impressed with its speed and correctness. Very simple site, tho, with no bells or whistles or streaming movies....

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 12:27 PM CDT

What version of IE are you using on the PC?
John Stebbe
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 12:32 PM CDT

Not being at school now, I don't know. But I really want my page to work with any version of IE.

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 01:00 PM CDT

Quote by: John Stebbe
Not being at school now, I don't know. But I really want my page to work with any version of IE.

Well, this will sound mean, but that will be almost impossible unless you are rendering a simple non-formatted text file, since web page standards have changed since the first browsers came out.
Apple has taken the tactic in Safari and iWeb development to meet the relatively current w3c xhtml standards - these are standards that are platform and browser independent. I understand that Opera is also compliant with these standards (that doesn't mean either browser is bug-free, however). Mozilla-based browsers are close to compliance.
The up-coming IE 7 should be 'more compliant' than previous versions of IE.

My advice would be to greatly simplify whatever you've done to the essentials, if you are using iWeb; but if your audience is almost exclusively IE users, sigh, I'm sure there are many non-Apple products out there someone else can recommend. Beware however, these pages probably will not look good in compliant browsers.
If Deputy Doofy reads this thread, I'm sure he'll have more stories and more particular advice. I've mostly done non-web application development, haven't used iWeb yet but I have done some xhtml/css pages using a text editor and have been alternately amused and appalled at how some browsers (fail to) render something even as simple as borders around an image.
ledebutant
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 01:01 PM CDT

Wow, that's a shocker that it doesn't work well with a PC running IE. Did you find that to be true with the other sites you checked out?

I bought iLife 'O6 specifically for iWeb so that I could put up a band page easily and I'm really disappointed to hear it doesn't work well with IE. That makes it practically useless as a promotional tool. I did find some information that seems to say that if the site is uploaded to .mac that it works well with IE.

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 01:04 PM CDT

Quote by: ledebutant
Wow, that's a shocker that it doesn't work well with a PC running IE. Did you find that to be true with the other sites you checked out?

I bought iLife 'O6 specifically for iWeb so that I could put up a band page easily and I'm really disappointed to hear it doesn't work well with IE. That makes it practically useless as a promotional tool. I did find some information that seems to say that if the site is uploaded to .mac that it works well with IE.

I'm curious ... would you have the link for more information?